is there such a thing???

rebeccajo99

I am trying to find a m&p base that last longer than 2 weeks in the shower without adding additives. I am making a 4 oz bar of soap and keep it out of the shower between uses, but it still only lasts about 2 weeks (depending on the base I use).

I want to make soaps that use the clear base for designs that I can market for shower/bath use. Whenever I add additives to the clear base... it clouds it up and you cannot see the designs.

I would like my bars to last 1 week for every oz of soap. Am I being unrealistic or is there a base out there that will give that to me.

Thanks in advance

You won't have any control over whether your customers keep your soap out the shower between uses, or how much they use to generate a lather every time they bathe, so why fret over it?

Don't look at it as a negative, look at it as a positive. Instead of using the same old bar for a month, enjoy the variety of using multiple bars in a month.

I always let my m&p soap sit and "cure" for a week of so to let the water evaporate out of it before wrapping. It seems to last a lot longer than fresh bars.

Ditto. However, I keep mine "curing" lightly covered for a couple of weeks. I sell a lot of MP and my customers are always telling me how long it lasts.

If you leave your soaps out for a week or two to dry out more, does this in anyway affect the fragrance...as in diminished? And when you say "lightly" covered...covered with what? I usually make my soaps in the a.m., cut them in the p.m. and then let them sit out overnight before wrapping. I use a low sweat base.

Thanks

Karen

The scent never fades after a couple of weeks. I put my soaps into a large container with the lid slightly moved over. Basically, just a crack so that air can get in. I also do this so that the soaps stay fresh. The containers are lined with wax paper. Why? Because I have found that plastic absorbs scent.

On another note, if your soap is being used up THAT quickly, it is possible that it is the base itself or because too many additives are being put in. The more liquids that you add to a base, even if it seems minor to you, WILL shorten the life of MP soap. If you like to add stuff to your base, at least make sure that you are using a good base with good endurance.

If you have a water softener any hand made soap doesn't last as long. My mom has one and the same batch bar will last 1/2 as long if I use it at her house vs using at my house with no water softener. Seems it should be the opposite but it's not...guess the soft water softens it enough to where it washes it away quicker.

If you have a water softener any hand made soap doesn't last as long. My mom has one and the same batch bar will last 1/2 as long if I use it at her house vs using at my house with no water softener. Seems it should be the opposite but it's not...guess the soft water softens it enough to where it washes it away quicker.

interesting find. I would have thought the same as you. I don't have a water softener... so that isn't my problem. I just started a test bar Saturday after having it sit out all week. We will see what happens with that one.