HELP Turkey Fryer Emergency!

My turkey fryer is acting very strangely. The other day the lights came on when I turned in on but after a little while, they went off. I thought it broke. So I did some jiggling and they came back on and the wax began to melt. Not sure if this is related to anything or not, but all of a sudden I heard this hissing sound and fine particles of wax were spewing everywhere. I think there was a bubble in the center of the wax that popped when it started to melt. So, I finished my pouring and life was good. Today I turned it on and the same thing happened, lights went off soon after I turned it on. Then I noticed that the inside of the kettle would not sit flush with the the top of the outside layer. The bottom of the liner was touching the plastic outside portion of the kettle but there is about two inches of the metal showing at the top. Why won't it sit flush? Honestly, it looks like it has grown or changed shape or something. I can't get the grooves to go all the way to the bottom in the back of the kettle (the part that is connected to the heating element). So any slight movement, the lights go off. What have I done? Why won't this fit properly? Also, the pouring spout sticks out so far that I had to remove the cover. How is it possible that the inside doesn't fit? I've only been using it since the beginning of the year. Can anyone help? Gee, I hope this makes sense. This is just so strange.

Nancy

Edited by mrsposey
spelling errors

What kind of turkey fryer do you have? I have a Masterbuilt and I don't have a "kettle" to put inside of it. Just curious. I have had the air bubbles before because I can see wax that sprayed the glass lid.

I've never used that type, but what I am thinking is "maybe" the prolonged heating has caused some shrinkage in the "shell" of the fryer which is why some things won't "seat" properly.

I'd move on to something else, before you start an electrical short and then a fire....

I'd personally buy a small water jacket wax melter....can't go wrong with one of those...a little pricey, but well worth the $$ and aggravation.

What kind of turkey fryer do you have? I have a Masterbuilt and I don't have a "kettle" to put inside of it. Just curious. I have had the air bubbles before because I can see wax that sprayed the glass lid.

It's a Masterbuilt. Your inside doesn't lift out?

I've never used that type, but what I am thinking is "maybe" the prolonged heating has caused some shrinkage in the "shell" of the fryer which is why some things won't "seat" properly.

I'd move on to something else, before you start an electrical short and then a fire....

I'd personally buy a small water jacket wax melter....can't go wrong with one of those...a little pricey, but well worth the $$ and aggravation.

I never thought of that. I know some folks use these a lot. But the oil that is used to fry a turkey is a lot hotter than my wax. And, I don't use mine nearly as much as some folks who use theirs daily. I will look into the water jacketed melters though as my business is growing. Do you have any suggestiong as to brands and places to buy?

Nancy

Presto Pots are great. I bought one modified and used on eBay, have had it over 2 years and it works as good as it did the day it got here. Also, very inexpensive. I think you can get one (unmodified of course) new at Wal-Mart for about $25

My Masterbuilt did the same thing...After about a year's worth of daily use, the inside liner started to warp (the bottom bulged out). I'd have to jiggle it around for the contacts to work, like you mentioned. DH took a mallet it to it a few times and banged it back into shape but eventually it sprung a leak. :eek: After that mess, I contacted the company and bought a new liner. I think it was about $25...Still was worth it to me to just replace the liner. I love my turker fryer. lol

I'd like to hear more about the one piece Masterbuilt though...Does anyone have a link to one???

I have a Masterbuilt and its all one piece. If you don't like the turkey fryer, you might try a Presto Pot.

I love the turkey fryer. I have several presto pots, but I need something bigger. I'll look for one that is all one piece. This is an older model that I bought from someone so maybe a newer one will be better.

Keep your eyes open on Craigslist. I picked up a 75 lb water jacketed melter last spring for $175. It had been used 2x! It was an hour drive from my house but well worth it vs what it would cost to ship (especially since it was 15 mins from my husband's office and fit in his backseat so I didn't even need to go get it, he picked it up on his way home). I also picked up a big direct heat melter (100 lb dual zone) a few weeks later for $250 but that one I had to drive an hour & a half to get in my truck. Even with gas it was still less than what it would have cost to ship, nevermind that it only cost a fraction of the original cost AND this one had never been used!

It might take a little while but I bet you could find one inexpensively. I know in my area there are quite a few people getting out of the business. I have picked up quite a bit of supplies without spending alot. Just remember to look outside your immediate area too (the direct heat one was clear across the state).

I am a huge fan of Craigslist and check it daily. Hopefully, I can come across a good deal on a melter. An update to the turkey fryer - I talked with the nice folks at Masterbuilt today and they are shipping me a new liner ($24.99). Well worth it. Turkey fryers are nowhere to be found in my area. Masterbuilt is coming out with a new design - a square model - that should be in stores soon. Thanks to everyone for your help!

Nancy

I am a huge fan of Craigslist and check it daily. Hopefully, I can come across a good deal on a melter. An update to the turkey fryer - I talked with the nice folks at Masterbuilt today and they are shipping me a new liner ($24.99). Well worth it. Turkey fryers are nowhere to be found in my area. Masterbuilt is coming out with a new design - a square model - that should be in stores soon. Thanks to everyone for your help!

Nancy