Mistletoe

SatinDucky

Nope, not scent... real mistletoe. Coming out my ears...LOL I mentioned I'd like some and my daughter climbed a tree and went nuts. I've got a box full. I've dipped about 1/4 of it in wax to make it last longer. A few pieces are being pressed, though I don't expect that to work. Now what in the world do I do with the rest? :shocked2:

mistletoe2.jpg

mistletoe.jpg

Sell it on Ebay?

I never knew where mistletoe came from. I had no idea from a tree. I assumed it grew on a bush. Hmmmm

It grows down here in the south? I'll have to ask DH about it since he is from down here and I am from the midwest.

Edited to add I did a search on it because I am so curious. Here is what I found:

Soil Requirements: None. Mistletoe exists as a Semi-Parasitic Perennial found in hardwood trees, such as oak, hickory, pecan, and mahogany. As mistletoe grows on a tree, it sends out a root-like structure known as a haustoria into tree's bark and takes nutrients from the tree. Sometimes, mistletoe can harm a tree and cause deformities in a tree's branches, but usually it doesn't kill its host. If the host dies, the mistletoe dies.

Yup, it's not a tree itself, more like a semi-hardwood bush. It just grows in trees. It's much easier to spot in winter when the trees have lost their leaves. It's just usually in the highest part of the trees and difficult to get to. I always hated buying the dried, painted sprigs found in the stores at Christmastime. It just looked so fake, even if it was real. She even made sure all that she got was covered with lovely white berries. It's not only in the south though. The first time I'd seen it growing was the short period I lived in Medford Oregon. The climate there is very similar.

You could also use silica gel (it is a beed/powder) found in craft stores in the floral department to dry them.

You could also use Glycerin. This will keep the stems & leaves soft yet perserved.

Here are some sites on drying flowers

http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/workshop/dryingflowers.htm

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC1151.htm

post-219-139458386581_thumb.jpg

Very interesting Vanmala, I never knew that about Mistletoe.

It's really beautiful Satin, not what I've ever seen. You know, the dried nasty looking stuff in the craft stores.

I'd put a sprig on my Christmas candles, could be a great selling point, at least to someone like me who's never seen the real stuff.

As far as how to get it down - we would always just take out a shotgun and shoot it out of the trees! (seriously!)

yup - a definite country boy here lol

and I would suggest that you NOT try that little trick if you happen to live "in town" and notice you have mistletoe growing in the tree in your back yard santa eek

santa cool <------- I like this one!

As far as how to get it down - we would always just take out a shotgun and shoot it out of the trees! (seriously!)

yup - a definite country boy here lol

and I would suggest that you NOT try that little trick if you happen to live "in town" and notice you have mistletoe growing in the tree in your back yard santa eek

santa cool <------- I like this one!

That was how we used to get it sometimes too. I have a photo somewhere of my ex, his rifle and the trophy mistletoe. Actually the rifle was a .22 and took forever. He took the 357 to it and down it came in one shot :shocked2::laugh2: