Lip Balm sweeteners, revisited.

countyline

So, I've been searching and I found several threads with people talking about testing out Truvia (stevia) and Agave nectar to sweeten their lip balms, but I never found anyone posting results of those tests.

So, has anyone tried either of these? And do you mind sharing your results? I am getting back into the lip balm biz after a long hiatus and I just ordered supplies from WSP, but their sweetener was SO expensive, so I decided to pass. Now, I'm trying to find alternative natural sweeteners.

And while I'm here, I know this is going to be a stupid question, but why is it not okay to use food flavoring extracts (vanilla, root beer, maple, peppermint etc) to flavor balms? I'm guessing because they are water based? Are there any that are safe?

I use MMS's Sugar Kisses, so I can't help you with new sweetner testing results.

You are partly correct about using food extracts in lip balms - they are alcohol based instead of being oil based, so they just don't blend properly. Some candy flavorings use propylene glycol and other ingredients that make them separate out of the balms as well.

It's not a question of safety, it's a matter of creating a lip balm and not a gooey flavored mess.

There are a couple of candy flavorings from Wilton's and LorAnn that are plain oils, but you have to read the ingredients list closely. Also, the citrus, mint and spice oils can burn lips if they aren't used properly - so test, test and test some more before sharing your experiments with anyone.

If you're truly going back "into the biz", you should really consider investing in quality sweeteners and oils. A few extra dollars spent today can save you time, frustration and lost sales in the future!

Good Luck.

Thanks for your reply! I did already purchase several flavorings from WSP. I just wondered if there was any chance of other things working, too. I pretty much already new the answer to that one, but thanks for the explanation.

As for "quality" sweetener, I do think stevia and agave are quality sweeteners. I am just looking for tips on how to successfully incorporate them into my balms. I had a hard time spending $30 on WSP's sweetener, when RE and other places have sweetener for significantly less money. I wasn't even for sure I wanted to sweeten my balms, so it wasn't worth the money at the time. I may change my mind later. :cheesy2:

I've used agave and it doesn't blend well--about the same as honey. You have to constantly stir and even then you're not guaranteed good results. I've also used stevia, but I've found that it hardens, crystallizes and sits at the bottom of my pyrex mixing bowl and even if I stir... ugh. I may try to incorporate it myself into some coconut oil and see if that helps any. I've used sugar kisses and it's been the easiest to work with. Just have to remember to shake it well before I add it. :)

As for the stevia, it's pretty expensive stuff. I bought a tiny bottle (about the size of a salt shaker) at my local coop. It was about $10-12 but there is more than enough in there to last you with testing, etc. Maybe that will be an option too. HTH

I don't sweeten mine - after a lot of research... they say you shouldn't as it just promotes you to lick your lips and they stay chapped... I guess that would make them buy more lip balms ..

they say the flavor is really all in your head anyway... makes sense as I'm guessing all you taste is sweet....

I don't sweeten mine - after a lot of research... they say you shouldn't as it just promotes you to lick your lips and they stay chapped... I guess that would make them buy more lip balms ..

they say the flavor is really all in your head anyway... makes sense as I'm guessing all you taste is sweet....

I understand you're not really tasting the flavor, but the sweetness, but it seems a touch of sweet brings out the fragrance more. I don't want super-sweet "Lip Smackers" type stuff, just a hint of sweetness. Hopefully that won't be enough to make people want to lick off all of the good stuff! :) Anywho, I may have to go unsweetened for this go-round anyway, until I can figure out how I want to sweeten them. Thanks, everyone, for your replies! :yay:

I love Sugar Kisses, too! Oh, wait? Were you talking about an oil? :rolleyes2

Seriously, though. I may have to break down and try this stuff, since everyone seems to love it.

Scented: Where do you find liquid Stevia? Anywhere I don't have to order more stuff would be great! I can NOT just order one thing, you know?!

I use the liquid stevia that Southern Soapers sells and I'll keep using that.

I have been using this for the past 18 months or so. I just love it. It takes such a small amount and the bottle lasts forever.

Ann M

From where I'm sitting (never having tried either one, but considering it) it looks to me like the Stevia from SS is exactly the same as the Stevia from AH/RE but AH/RE sells it for less, especially if you want more than 1 oz...

And...with the sampler sale AH/RE is about to begin, methinks it's time to restock sweetener and maybe grab some new flavors too. :rolleyes2

Elements just got a new sweetener in and also some new flavor oils. I orders the sweetener and some flavor oils from them and can't wait to try them out. They are also on sale right now.

I ordered the strawberry, cherry blast, pina colada, and root beer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got some of the stevia powder from Brambleberry and it worked pretty well. I always added it to my warm melted oils to make sure it incorporated. Lately, I've been doing more glosses and I've been passing on sweetener and using just the plain flavor oils. They smell yummy, anyway. :-)

About the food grade oils. I have used the LorAnn brand in a few different balms..pina colada, watermelon and strawberry. Luckily, I didn't have any ill effects. I have a few balms that I held back to see how they stood the test of time, and now, 2+ years down the road, they look great. Maybe I added the flavors when my oils were hot enough to evaporate any alcohols? *shrug* I've also used the actual lemon and mint oils as flavoring and they've done well, also. As Sister Kya mentioned the usage amount is very important!

~Julia