Does anyone make products more in line with luxary style products?

IsabellaD

Hello,

I was anxious to start making my own line of candles in the same vein as the fine luxary products that are available... products such as Archipelago, Votivo, and Paddywax.

However, after spending a little time reading the forums here, it seems most of you are focused on cheap k-mart types of products... there is a LOT of fixation on "food" like cakes, caramel, apple, fruits, etc. If you take a look at the above sites I linked you'll see that's not at all what they try to achieve.

For example, http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83237, "must have" thread, nearly 100% all food fragrances.

So I ask... is there anyone here who has attempted to get into making a more luxorious product with exotic fragrances? If so I'd love to hear your experiences.

If you want to talk about candy, fruit, and cake, then this is not the thread for you! :)

Wouldn't it have been more pleasant to just say "I'd like to make candles similar to what Votivo and Archipelago have. Do any of you have any suggestions?" Don't be surprised if everyone puts you on their 'ignore' list for that obnoxious post.

Furthermore, high price doesn't always mean high quality.

I'd rather purchase from a handmade crafter than a company that slaps together a product, throws on a snazzy label, and charges 10x what the product is worth.

I've seen "luxury" candles going for $50+ that had more sink holes in it than a road after a water main break. :P

Thread & Tread Lightly! That advice is free of charge! :tiptoe:

Hello,

I was anxious to start making my own line of candles in the same vein as the fine luxary products that are available... products such as Archipelago, Votivo, and Paddywax.

However, after spending a little time reading the forums here, it seems most of you are focused on cheap k-mart types of products... there is a LOT of fixation on "food" like cakes, caramel, apple, fruits, etc. If you take a look at the above sites I linked you'll see that's not at all what they try to achieve.

For example, http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83237, "must have" thread, nearly 100% all food fragrances.

So I ask... is there anyone here who has attempted to get into making a more luxorious product with exotic fragrances? If so I'd love to hear your experiences.

If you want to talk about candy, fruit, and cake, then this is not the thread for you! :)

Now, was that really necessary? That's not the best way to introduce yourself.

As to the "Just foods" comment. The posts where you mainly have foods are usually pertaining to "fall/winter" (what that post was asking for "fall scents") During winter/fall most (not all) look for comfort scents which include food scents, or a spice blend. They find it comforting to have this scents in there house when they have "cabin fever".

If you are looking for "luxury scents" do some searching on here and you will find many. The search feature is very helpful. Here's a link to get you started.

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38785&highlight=tranquil

Most of these are usually in the summer threads, which are usually discussed during the winter since we're all working on our summer line then. Same with winter/fall threads, it's usually being discussed during the summer.

The last thing you want to do is come onto a new board and insult the members on here. There are a lot of great people on here with a lot of good information.

At least in terms of personal preference, I'm with IsabellaD. I like exotic scents, I hate candy and food type scents. I think what she means is you usually see fruity and food scents at discount stores, but you rarely see this from the so-called "higher end" candles, which is what she's aiming for.

I will admit I have had $50 candles have all kinds of burning issues and such, but Votivo and Archipelago usually are quality products, if not overpriced. I very much like Black Ginger, Teak, Tuberosa, and Bergamot & Tobacco.

I think you can find most of what you are looking for from most of the fragrance vendors linked in the stickies. Try saveonscents.com, and make sure you order the "extreme" concentrations. It doesn't say so on the site, but customer service has informed me that "extreme" uses better quality ingredients.

You do know that we are in the middle of the deepest recession since the Great Depression, don't you?

If you want answers, try showing a little respect. I'm willing to bet that MANY of the women here could do circles around you in the candle making department.

Personally, I don't waste my money on those "Luxury" items. Not because I am cheap or can't afford it, it's because the quality of many of the etailers products make those "Luxury" brand items seem like cheap crap.

IsabellaD:

How dare you insult the talented chandlers here :mad: . You knew damn well that comment was rude and extremely insulting. I'm insulted and I don't even make candles or use foody scents. In fact, I pretty much hate almost all of them. Since when does the fragrance used determine the quality of a product? And who are you to even equate the two?

Seems to me that you just screwed yourself out of some very good and helpful advice. Try taking your unpleasing demeanor to some of those "luxary" :laugh2: candlemakers you spoke of and ask THEM for advice.

And while you're at it, try getting hooked on phonics. Perhaps you'll learn that all words aren't necessarily spelled the way you theenk thay sownd.:laugh2:

Geez, people with your type of attitude irritate the hell out of me.

Hate to be the one to break it to you but I have the "exotic" scents and sell quite a few but my "food" scents sell 3:1 compared to those, even in the higher end boutique & spa that stock my products. I would focus on making a great quality candle while you look for your special scents. Look over the different suppliers and get samples to use during your testing and find the ones that fit into the line you would like to develop. Without a quality, properly burning candle it does not make a difference what scent they are made in.

I also agree with the other posters. I resent your tone in your original post. There are MANY talented candle makers on this board. Comments like those that you have made will NOT get you the support and information that you are looking for. I STRONGLY suggest that you read your posts carefully before hitting the submit button and edit as needed. If you want to be an accepted member here then I suggest that you remember that and adjust your posts accordingly.

I very rarely post on here as you can tell but after a long day of work at our candle store, I feel the need to reply on my behalf and other hard working candlemakers. Whether you are a part time crafter or have taken your craft to a business level, it's personal because it's all made with our hands, hearts and minds. Therefore, I feel you crossed the line. "A more luxurious product"?? huh?? More luxurious than what? Are you saying our products are "less luxurious"? You and your comments are unbleevubbl. And as far as a thread being for someone, we'll be the judge of that. Although I have to say I'm not so sure this thread is for you either.

Have a great day and for everyone else on here keep up the good work on all your luxurious products.:shocked2:

Oh wait..I do have some knowledge to share with you. When you begin to sell candles, you will find yourself making whatever your customers want...even cake, candy, caramel, apple, lemon, blueberries, strawberries and lime. Good Luck:shocked2:

wow, that post of yours takes the cake. :laugh2: you have an unbelievable amount of nerve.

i've been on this forum since last april and still consider myself a newbie to all this. i've gotten guidance and suggestions from lots of people i've never met and most likely never will.

some of them have been making candles, soap, and/or body products for many years. i've learned from reading their posts that blood, sweat, and tears, not to mention too much money and countless hours, have gone into the products that they have perfected.

this is a pretty friendly community, and the responses to your post sure prove we consider ourselves a community.

you made a big mistake (or is that misteak?) tonight when you insulted the very people who could have AND would have been happy to answer your questions and give you guidance.

i hope laura is right and we never hear from you again.

The fragrances I sell are strictly mandated by the most important people in my business..............my CUSTOMERS. I wonder how many would be repeat customers if I suggested when THEY specifically ask for a "foodie type scent" that the scent they are wanting were CHEAP Wal-Mart scents, and try to steer them onto a "luxury" scent? I would probably end up, just as you have done here, insult their intelligence and might as well kiss them good by right along with my business. PEOPLE know what THEY want...........every person has their favorite. Obviously you have yet to learn that, and it sounds like you just might have to learn it the hard way!

I sell bakery scents 10 to one at all times of the year.

Perhaps you should test your market before deciding what your customers will want.

Also perhaps you should say you are sorry to all the candle makers for your post.

And before you call most of us low end, perhaps you should use a spellchecker??

Oh, and good luck starting out making a fifty dollar candle, we all wish we could get that out of one candle....

Guys I would almost bet this is troll to get your dander up. I really hate trolls. I think you are all giving her what she really wants. Which is to cause trouble.

Most of you have been really good with this and I am proud of you. Just ignore her now, that is the best way to stop this in it tracks.

Just a little FYI to the...never made a candle but wants to sell luxury candle post....

I have a few wholesale boutique accounts in Palm Beach and surrounding areas which are consider high end shoppers and could easily spend big bucks on a luxury candle but guess what....they love my food and fruit scented reasonable priced candles just as much...

so go back from where you came from and learn how to make a candle first before you make such an ignorant statement again! :rolleyes2