Pictures and people

Scented

We don't mind if a newspaper or a committee person from the festival approaches us to take a picture, but what do you feel about Joe Q public doing it? We usually tell people no cameras, but we made an exception for a man who was making an album for his wife and he showed us the pictures just to ease our mind I guess. But during a festival today, someone just walked in and was trying to get photos on a camera phone, but Rockin stopped it.

I'm always leary of random picture takers, too. I did have a gentleman ask once if he could take pictures for his daughter. He was manning her booth since she was home sick. I'm OK with that but if someone with a phone started taking pictures, I would shoo them out, too!

I usually go on a case by case basis. If it looks like a tourist who is just taking pics to show people at home, I don't make much of a fuss. If its somebody from the show or newspaper and they want pics for marketing purposes, they usually will ask. I don't have a problem with that. If I see someone who obviously is taking pictures to "copy" or if they are writing down prices, etc., I might go walk in front of my stand to block their view and say (nicely) "Can I help you?" Usually, that's enough to shoo them away. I share a stand with my friend who does woodworking and she has this problem all the time. She says that if they are going to copy from her, the least they can do is buy it first. Sometimes a person will actually tell us they are buying the product to copy. Kind of leaves us speechless. What are you going to do? With today's technology, people can take pictures and you don't even know it.

The other people who irritate me are the ones who meet in front of my stand and reunite with old friends, relatives, etc. They block paying customers from my stand while they reminisce and catch up. :(

I saw a ton of that going on when I did shows and mostly people taking them with the camera phones. The following year people had what they were taking pics of the previous year. It pissed off alot of the vendors. I think it takes some nerve to do that and it's just wrong, but what can you do?

"The other people who irritate me are the ones who meet in front of my stand and reunite with old friends, relatives, etc. They block paying customers from my stand while they reminisce and catch up. "

Ditto

I saw a ton of that going on when I did shows and mostly people taking them with the camera phones. The following year people had what they were taking pics of the previous year. It pissed off alot of the vendors. I think it takes some nerve to do that and it's just wrong, but what can you do?

"The other people who irritate me are the ones who meet in front of my stand and reunite with old friends, relatives, etc. They block paying customers from my stand while they reminisce and catch up. "

Ditto

I have a former student who does one of the same farmers markets that I've been doing for 13 years. She'll come over to my booth, send people or her son over and next thing I know....my soap is in her booth and on her website. And she'll smile right in my face. I haven't said anything....yet. She has a reputation of "acting" like a space cadet/fairy girl who then screams brutalization if anyone calls her on her shit and frankly....I don't want to deal with that kind of immaturity.

When people hang out in my booth, I will physically (gently) pull them by the arm and say......you're keeping customers out of my booth and this IS my day job and I have a ton of bills to pay. Thank you very much.

Pictures? I don't allow them. Plain and simple. I tell people that (again) this is my day job and I don't come to their work and take pictures of them, I don't want them to take pictures of me.

And how about people coming up asking for my sources? And acting all innocent when I tell them (AGAIN) that this is my day job and no way will I ever give out my sources. duh!

What do I want to do? Bitch smack them all!

Well I'm under the impression if they want to copy, by all means ... buy it first and then good luck.

Newspapers and committee personnel who put this on their site, we don't have a problem with them and they do ask.

I thought the problem had gone away, but guess not this year.

We've had people send their kids to our booth to cause a few problems, but those people aren't or haven't been around for a few years.

And how about people coming up asking for my sources? And acting all innocent when I tell them (AGAIN) that this is my day job and no way will I ever give out my sources. duh!

And if they ask how something is done and you say "sorry, trade secret" they get all huffy!

Oh and we always have people who want this product but in this color and that scent and this other jar with this other ribbon and can you just put it back for them in case they decide they want it...

People drive me crazy sometimes. Either buy it or go away.

Sorry, Scented. Didn't mean to hijack your thread with a rant. I'll shut up now.

I get picture takers and it drives me nuts I try to block them unless they ask and then they better have a good reason to be taking pictures.

I also hate a crowd standing in front or in my booth just talking.

I have this one show that I do with this soaper she drives me nuts the first time I was in the same show with her she checked out my booth I had no problem till the next show we where in she had copied almost my whole booth plus had her soaps. Last year she tried to steal my spot at one of my biggest shows that did not work so she made sure and got right next to me I bet she does not do that again my candle will always out smell soap. She did not do well she spent most of her time poking around my booth again and I have no doubt she will be copying me again.

I have had a few do the copy thing and it drives me nuts they see how well I am selling and next thing I know they are selling something similar. What I think piss me off the most is they are not even making it they go online and find the stuff then buy and resell it.

If people ask for a certain scent or product, I tell them that I would be happy to do that and my minimum order for special orders is......and the price for that would be........ And they either order my minimum or walk away.

And I don't "hold" anything. I tell them that I take cash, checks, credit and debit cards.

And I have a sign that says, "No returns, all sales are final" and it's posted loud and clear, big and bold right on my pay station. Last year, after years of doing markets and fairs, I had a rash of people wanting to return things for no good reason...I didn't like the color, I didn't like the smell. wah wah wah.

I put a stop to that with the sign.

What I think piss me off the most is they are not even making it they go online and find the stuff then buy and resell it.

Now you're gonna get my goat lol! I can't stand this either and I think that these people who are sellers for other companies shouldn't be allowed into a craft show. Like no way did they make that stuff. Some juried shows are getting a little tougher here on requirements, but I hate seeing Mia B. and other company reps at craft shows.

It's when they come and say stuff like they bought a candle or soap recently but can't remember what scent or color and it doesn't smell, well not like the kind my mommy sells over there .... ya know, in front of customers. That kind of bs.

It's when they come and say stuff like they bought a candle or soap recently but can't remember what scent or color and it doesn't smell, well not like the kind my mommy sells over there .... ya know, in front of customers. That kind of bs.

Whoa!People seriously do that!? Geez oh man!

What!?! Now that is pitiful. Sending your kid to steal samples is bad but sending your kid to steal customers? lol.

I had a local competitor send her 7 year old grand daughter to my booth. She sprayed some of my freshener, and got about three pumps of lotion and took off. I just laughed. So, they have to steal lotion?

I had another candle crafter come over to check out my booth at a show last year and as he's talking my ear off, a customer comes and asks if I have a certain scent. Before I can even get anything out of my mouth, he says - Oh, I have that scent, come with me! - as he's pulling her by the arm back to his booth!!

I have another candle lady who seems to "follow" me to a lot of my shows, then she'll leave her daughter to watch her booth, and then comes over to check out how I'm doing like 50x a day! If I happen to get a break and go walk around or something, she'll pull me into her booth and say - Here, smell this, isn't this just the greatest?! - or something like that. One time she did that, her candle had the HUGEST sink hole, she couldn't get the lid back on that candle quick enough!

This really had nothing to do with people taking pics! Sorry to get off-topic and hi-jack the thread!

You know when I did shows I just kept to my own area, I could give a crap who was selling what. I would take a break and get something to eat and wonder through the isles, but when I came across another candlemaker I was always very polite, say hi-sniff a few and walk away. I can't go into any store that sells candles and not sniff. BUT I would never have the nerve to give a sales pitch or tell people to "come with me" and pull sale away from someone else. Nor would I get in the way of the other vendor trying to sell his or her stuff. I am not that insecure my product or that competitive and never will be. Some people just have no class. Good for all that kept their cool and didn't jump over their tables and beat these people to death.:laugh2:

I had another candle crafter come over to check out my booth at a show last year and as he's talking my ear off, a customer comes and asks if I have a certain scent. Before I can even get anything out of my mouth, he says - Oh, I have that scent, come with me! - as he's pulling her by the arm back to his booth!!

Damn!!!:mad: I would have followed her over to her booth and gave her a piece of my mind in front of the customer.

In that situation, I think it warrants shoving the hugest pillar candle you have... straight up her :lipsrseal .... then slowing doing the running man :tiptoe: back to your booth! :laugh2::laugh2:

Oh hell no. That deserves a biotch slap indeed. Next time you should set her ez-up on fire. That will deter her business alright.

Man I was going to let this thread die, but those people are back at a show that started tonight and ends Saturday. They've already sent the children over, but just a heads up I guess -- they have their own business name and are setting out Mia B product, so some of you may start seeing this as opposed to just seeing Mia B out there. Fingers crossed no dramatics, but with the other vendors around them listening and spying for us, this could get interesting.