How do you pour

Anna

And I'm not meaning to upset anyone here, personally, I cracked up when I saw some of the posts...ON THE OTHER HAND....

If anything, this thread should show a lot of people that drinking, taking drugs, or overdosing on the coffee is not seriously a good thing to do when you're melting and pouring wax. There's also other underlying issues when it comes to a good pour as well as technique. Here's my story...

A few years ago, I noticed that my normal pours on my pillars were seriously on the sucking side, it didn't matter how fast, how slow, what I used, what I DIDN'T use, I was still spilling wax when it came to the second pour. Then one day, when I was actually paying attention, I noticed that I had a serious tremor in my hands. I went ahead and allowed the pour to go as normal, and sure enough, I was spilling wax yet again.

Normally, a slight tremor is to be expected, if we were all steady-handed, we'd be surgeons instead of working class people with an expensive hobby. Something as slight as spilling wax is something we have come to expect to be normal, especially when dealing with votives because of the size. But considering the fact that my tremor had actually been noticeable enough to me, I went to the doctor to find out what was going on.

I went through weeks of tests, blood sugar, hormones, you name it, they tested me. Come to find out, I was hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) and whenever I monitored my glucose level during the day, whenever I was actually working with wax, my level was low, which in turn, caused the tremors. Since then, I've adjusted my diet, eating something small or grabbing a Pepsi before I begin pouring and I've noticed a HUGE improvement just doing that alone. I still spill wax, but I also do that on purpose to make sure my edges on my votives are straight and clean.

I'm not saying that's your situation, Anna, but I AM giving some other insight. I've since also been diagnosed with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, which has jacked with my insulin level and hello, here come the tremors yet again. Staying healthy to keep the business or hobby going just because it sucks when we can't do it, is just the tip of the iceberg. Staying healthy should be our first priority, we're dealing with extreme temperatures, instruments that are sharp and in some cases, deadly under the wrong circumstances, not to mention a liquid that has the capacity to leave behind 2nd and 3rd degree burns, if poured at the wrong time.

Also something else to consider is the humor factor. If we don't laugh, if we don't take the time to just laugh, the hobby or business begins to become a gruelling chore no one wants to wish their worst enemy to have. I'm notorious for cracking jokes, it needs to happen so we can still do the one thing that keeps us pouring candle after candle...and that's to just have fun with it.

Now, if you'll excuse me, it's time to hit the catnap.

I pour onto a cookie sheet so I can put the spilled wax back in my pour pot. It gets easier with time, now that ive poured hundreds of the buggers, I'm developing "pouring muscles" makes keeping it steady easier. Aswell I never put more then 3 lbs into my pour pot, 4 lbs = awful mess