Double Boiler vs Presto Pot. Pros & Cons

Hi all. Thanks for your suggestions on suppliers. I almost have my initial order complete. One last thing I am debating is whether to use a double boiler with a pouring pot or using a direct-heat method such as the Presto Pot. I would also use a pouring pot with that one too. I am wondering what the major pros & cons are to each method. Is there a general concensus among you veterans on which one is better or does it come down to personal preference?

Presto!!!

It's so easy and wonderful to use.

If you're not overly handy, shop eBay, I managed to get mine "used" (it just needed a cleaning) and it's worked wonderfully for less then what the pot and tools to modify it would cost.

(It's that large drill bit that can get costly.)

Presto Pot for sure and with spigot. I only use double boiler for repours like Steph in Texas. I always make sure I have wax left over from a pouring and pour it in tarts. I only heat up the tarts I will need for the repour and then bag the rest to sell.

I started out using a scientific hotplate that I still use when I try to keep something hot before pouring...

More of an add-on question here. I have been using a Presto pot for awhile now.

When you guys talk about a spigot, what did you do or buy to make this change? That is the one thing I don't like about the Presto Pot. What I have been doing is melting in the Presto Pot and pouring my gel into a 1000ml (1 liter) Pyrex beaker (similar, but large than the one in the picture. I also have some smaller ones that I use for other pouring needs. The nice thing about this, is it lets me see my colors better, but it really is a PITA. Any help would be appreciated on adapting a spigot...... SteveG

post-10783-13945845496_thumb.jpg

post-10783-139458454962_thumb.jpg

Thank you for the tutorial. I think I have almost all those things laying around the house. I'll have to borrow the tap from my father, but it's good to have a mechanical Father. This should keep my room everything much cleaner. Not to mention all the drips I have down my Pesto Pot trying to pout the gal into my Pyrex ware. SteveG

and make sure you think about which side you want your spigot on! I had to rearrange my work space because a friend put one spigot under the handle and one between the handles....plugs wouldn't reach the outlets!

They warm nicely in between pours and last until you drop them on a cement floor
:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

I DO love my 2# aluminum pour pots with handles! They stay warm on an old electric frying pan and bounce real well when they hit the floor. The dents just add character!! :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

for fragrance measuring

You are WEIGHING the FO instead of measuring, right?

• 12 years later...
17 minutes ago, Caroline Rapagnola said:

Any thoughts on the presto pot versus the electric wax smelters that sometimes comes with the candle making kit?

Depends on how many does you wish to make in a session.  Prestos come in at least two sizes and are very responsive for fast heating of larger quantities of wax. The biggest presto size allows me to make 30 8-oz tins (6.5 oz of wax per tin) in a single melt session, taking at most 30 minutes start to finish.