Did you hear??

LynnS

Oh No.I do alot of shipping on the weekends.Most of my orders I get mid week. Try to get them out ASAP.Summer is among us candlemakers and we have to watch the temps.Weekend aren't good for shipping.

Have a order going to NC this week.Got it today.Will have it ready by Friday or Saturday.

LynnS

Interesting. I did hear that they were considering dumping the older postmen (mandatory retirement?), and as candlelady said, modifying the delivery schedule. That would definitely change how business is done.

They are closing several distribution centers. 6 nationwide I believe. They are also offering early outs for those close to retirement. And I believe they are getting rid of some management postions.

http://www.usps.com/communications/newsroom/2009/pr09_028.htm

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a1H5F7Y1DwpU&refer=home

The last I heard, as a postal employee, was that they would eliminate a weekday delivery, tues or wed. But...who knows.

Retirement or getting rid of the older ones.Our postman is almost (if not already) 70 years old.He talks retirement but never does it.Has for several years so no one is looking to take his place anytime to soon.He has his moments................:mad:

LynnS

As with most things now days.....charge more and receive less. They keep going up on pricing yet the service time gets longer. But then again, the postal service in my area is sorry anyway. It's sometimes after 6 or 7 in the evening before I get my mail and the only reason I don't have a PO box is simply because it's hard to get out with the new baby every day and just easier to wait for the mail.

Holy crap...6 or 7 pm? that's just crazy! I have my mail by noon

everyday usually. When I was carrying my route, I was done with my route and back in the office at 1pm and I had 700 deliveries. Then again, I'm a rural carrier who is paid salary...so it is beneficial to us to work quickly and efficiently so we can go home. I also started work at 5am.

Yes 6 or 7 is bad.I get my mail between NOON and 1. If they just stick with the route they should be done by that time. I also hear they go in early.

Our PO opens at 7:30 for customers, then the postmaster close and takes a 1 1/2 hour for lunch and closes by 4:30. That is 8 hours.I guess he picks the time.Most open at 8 and close at 5.It is a small town. The mail we get comes from a town almost 10 miles.We have their town as our address but the other PO we use alot is just 1 1/2 miles from our house.

LynnS

Our area has simply scaled back the hours of operation. The post office used to open at 8:00 pm. Now all six post offices in my area are opening at 10:30 am.

Since there are six post offices in your area, why wouldn't they stagger their hours??? :confused: I would think that would make more sense.....

When we moved into our house 25 years ago, we HAD to use a post office box...there was no delivery to our house. It was very inconvenient - they used to open after I left for work and were closed by the time I got home. Then they would complain on Saturday when I went in to get it that the mail had piled up and they wanted me to rent a larger box for more money!! uhmmmm, no! They finally built a new post office and left it open so people with PO Boxes could get in.

I still do not understand why they took all the stamp machines out of our area post offices.....:confused: Now we have to wait in line to buy stamps, which just makes more work for the employees....makes no sense to me.

The shipping went way up here for me. I went to UPS. They are a lot cheaper. I was losing candles left and right thru the reg. mail. They opened the boxes and took what they wanted out. I don't have any problems with UPS. They even pack my orders for me and it is cheaper. :yay: