Any idea how many wicks I should use for this?

Hello,

My mom found this cool glass jar for me and I want to make a candle for myself only. It's 3.5" wide up top and the bottom is 4" across, from corner to corner it's 5".

Should I try 3 wicks with this jar to get a full melt pool and what size do you think would work? I'm thinking of trying LX18 as I have a lot of those and I have LX20, RRD47, #3 square braid, HTP 104 and 105.

Any ideas? Since it's just for me I can remelt and try again but just trying to figure out what wick to try and how many to use. Should they all be spaced near the centre?

I don't ever use more than one wick so have no idea here.

dscn2492td4.th.jpg

side view

dscn2495vf8.th.jpg

top view

I can't help you with the wicks...as I've never wicked a jar like that. But...I LOVE that jar! Is that grapes & fruit on it? I have a grape "theme" in my kitchen...and that jar would be perfect. What a great find on your mom's part! Good luck wicking it, wish I could help.

Debbie,

Thanks, yes there are grapes, apples and I think pears on the side of it. It was in a thrift store and there was only one. It holds 34.5 ounces of water as I measured to figure out a rough idea of wax that it would hold.

I'm always burning candles but I wanted one that would last for a long time and can't wait to try this out.

If no one has any ideas I'll probably try three wicks to be on the safe side and will try LX 18 I think.

I have found that jars that have large corners are difficult to wick, especially if pure soy is used. If I were you, I would not use more than two wicks because of the width of the top/neck. With corner jars like that, you either hope the corners play catch up or you have to deal with a little leftover in the corners (pure soy has the most trouble with these kind of jars). I started out with the square footed Victorian jars and when I changed to pure soy, I had to change jars. I could not handle the wax residue that was left in the corners. If I wicked up any more, it would be unsafe. At least the jar that you are going to try does not taper at the bottom like the Square Footed Victorian one did. Good luck! :)

Even if you are using straight soy wax, (3) LX18's would be WAY too big and your jar will get too hot and could possibly break. For soy, I would start with (2) LX14 maybe, depending on the FO you use. For paraffin, I would start with LX10's or LX12's. These are just suggestions, as I have no idea what wax or FO you are gonna use.

In my parasoy blend for a 3.75" wide jar, I use (2) LX10's or (2) 15 ply flat braid depending on the FO.

Thanks, of course I forgot to state what type of wax I will be using which would have been helpful. Glad I posted as it sounds like LX 18 is the wrong one to use and I have lots of LX16, LX14 etc too.

I have 3 types of Ecosoya but will use straight Enchanted Lightes soy in this one and probably ad 5% palm wax but can skip the palm ratio. Since it's just for me putting some palm in there will allow me to conserve some of my soy.

The largest part diameter wise is 4" across (from corner to corner it's 5" across).

I want to use Sugar FO with it that I get from a Canadian supplier who I believe gets it from Brambleberry. Normally I use 10% FO for scent.

Hello,

Thanks.

Well I was going to use 2 LX 14's but the ones I have aren't tall enough so decided to use 2 HTP 83's and it doesn't look like it will reach the edge. I should have used 3 HTP 83's or 2 HTP 104's as I had those in tall size and also have HTP 105's in tall size too.

I'm in Canada and Eco and CD wicks don't exist here or at least I haven't found a place that sells them. What I might do down the road is order a sampler pack from a place in the States but for now I can get LX, HTP, square braid, RRD's etc.

• 1 year later...

I recently did a huge jar for my sis's bday: 5x5" base, 6" tall. We had to use wick stickems to get the extra height, but used four 93 wicks with great success. I would go one less, with three. I also use Enchanted Lites. If you need help, call Lorrie at J and L Creations. She is a whiz with the EL soy, as well as calculating wicks based on jar size. Good luck, and please post final pics!