best wax for tarts

PrimBeginnings

• 1 month later...

Hi,

For those of you that use KY wax for melts and votives, how do you price them? That wax is high in price so I was curious how you price them to make a profit. I am going to be starting votives and with such rave reviews of that wax, I would like to try it, but it just seems a little steep.

I currently use 415 so maybe I could add something to that for the votives instead. Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

• 3 weeks later...
I am a little curious if those of you who use palm wax to make tarts are you using the feather or starburst and do you have problems with getting sink holes in yours??

Debbie

We use feathering palm for our tarts with no issues at all. They all seem to come out really well with no holes or pits, and the scent throw is great. We did try some of the starburst palm when our supplier ran out of the feathering and had huge issues with that. Holes & pits all over the place no matter what temp we poured at. We have since finished that batch of wax and are back to our regular feathering.

We will sonn be looking at using some soy as we are going to be doing some bakery lines in tarts, and somehow I just dont think a feathered cinni bun is going to cut it :) The only issue I have with that is that the soy pillar / tart wax is quite a bit more expensive than the palm.

Cheers

Richard

• 1 year later...
KY's votive/tart wax is the best IMO. I've tried 4794 very little to no scent throw. Eco PB it was OK but had to let them cure for about a week to get a good scent throw.KY's I make in the morning burn that same night and get an awesome scent throw.. HTH

Are you talking about KY's Para Soy Tart Votive wax? I have been making candles for about 15 years and have friends asking about tarts...However, I want a good wax that will help me be able to compete with Scentsy.

• 2 months later...

TCS for me, no questions about it - but trying to find a replacement because I don't want to run the risk of having a supplier discontinue their "own proprietary blend", as it's happened in the past with a few of them.

Never had much luck with the KY wax. Scent throw wouldn't last long at all and wasn't strong; still have uite a bit of it left, which I will eventually use in some application :rolleyes2

Combo that comes closest to my beloved TCS wax is 4794 and soy. Those who have tested my tarts tell me they average 3 days of non-stop "burning"; HTH

I too just starting making tarts. I am using 6006 which has a fragrance load of 10%. I use about 10 - 12% FO in my tarts and they seem to have a great cold and hot throw and they last about 6 to 8 hours. Each tart is approx .65 oz. plus. The blend is a bit soft but if I put the warmer bowl in the freezer for a bit the left over wax pops right out.

TCS for me, no questions about it - but trying to find a replacement because I don't want to run the risk of having a supplier discontinue their "own proprietary blend", as it's happened in the past with a few of them.

Never had much luck with the KY wax. Scent throw wouldn't last long at all and wasn't strong; still have uite a bit of it left, which I will eventually use in some application :rolleyes2

Combo that comes closest to my beloved TCS wax is 4794 and soy. Those who have tested my tarts tell me they average 3 days of non-stop "burning"; HTH

I am starting to regret that I ordered the KY because I am not getting the desired scent throw that I had hoped for. Do you think adding some more paraffin to it will help with the throw?

I am starting to regret that I ordered the KY because I am not getting the desired scent throw that I had hoped for. Do you think adding some more paraffin to it will help with the throw?

It's worth giving it a shot. Try adding some 4794 or 4786.

I'm with you, I was very disappointed with the results I got using the KY parasoy for tarts, the throw wasn't strong and just fizzled out after a few hrs. But that's just my experience; many people love that wax, I'm just not one of them, lol