How do I get a better hot throw with Essential Oil soy candles?

Hello,

So normally I use Enchanted Lites soy wax and started using Ecosoya CB Advanced a few months back. Right now I'm experimenting with Ecosoya CB 135 and Ecosoya Pure Container wax.

I've made candles with lighter EO's and stronger EO's and use 10% to the amount of wax I use. No matter what I do my EO blends are never as strong as FO blends.

Is there a secret to making my EO candles have a better hot throw? I just use straight soy and nothing else (well I use coloured chips too). I have used a small percentage of palm wax in the past.

Thoughts or suggestions?

I too, tried EOs and never got the throw that I wanted. In chatting personally with another poster on this board about how to get a better hot throw with EOs... he said.. it ain't gonna happen. I just don't think the EOs bind to the wax well enough.

I get perfect HT and CT with essential oils and CB advanced. I use 5%. EO I use pure 100% essential oils. The scent throw is better with pure 415 but still good with CB advanced. You just have to test with the wicks you have and you will get it right. I find that the EO are better

Thanks everyone. I've made two candles with two different EO blends and one is the CB135 and the other is pure container soy wax from Ecosoya. I'm also planning to do one with the Ecosoya CB Advanced and Enchanted Lites to see which if any give a stronger hot throw.

I have gotten a good throw with Lemongrass, Patchouli, Basil & peppermint, and Lavender Patchouli Ylang.

Lemongrass is very strong. I've had a medium throw with Lavender. These were tested in smaller rooms, like the bedroom or bathroom. I've used various types of soy mostly 415, CBA, and Strahl & Pitsch.

Which EOs are you trying? I've noticed some wicks help throw EO better too. I think I've had the best results with CD and CDN wicks.

Jeana,

Thanks, Right now I have a Patchouli and Sweet Orange but it's not strong at all. Also made a few of Lavender, Thyme and Rosemary and those are pretty good but I'd love them stronger. I used an LX 18 in one and HTP 104 in another and an HTP 105 in

another size.

I'm in Canada and can't find CD and CDN wicks. Today I was in a store and picked up an all soy Lemongrass that smelled great in on it's own so I can see why it would burn well.

Awhile back I made an all flower citrus blend that had a light scent throw so maybe stronger blends work well. Also might try adding some coconut oil to my wax to see if that helps.

I use HTP with essential oils and C3 and they throw just fine. Some essential oils I've had to blend with fo to get a strong enough scent, just depends on how strong the EO scent itself is. Off the top of my head, Lemongrasss, Tangerine, Ylang Ylang, Cassia, Lavender should all be ok to use just EO.

Good luck with your testing.