Where do you give?

Beverley

Hi there. I was just wondering, what charity organizations you are all involved with if any? We are gearing up to partner with 1% for the Planet and will be choosing 3 non-profits to give 1% to. I'd love to hear about all of the good stuff you all are doing out there!

I do not do national or world wide stuff. I do local charities. Few dear to my heart that I donate candles to regularly and partner up with for short periods of time are

The Mission: they shelter and feed the homeless.

Local MS society: I have a lot of friends with MS.

Local animal rescue

I figure the big companies take care of the national stuff it is the little guys that need the most help from little companies.

Local animal charities, Komen Foundation, Cancer Sucks, and Y-me (now called Network of Strength)...

My sister has breast cancer, my stepmom did, and my dad died this fall from bladder cancer, so that may explain the cancer charities

How do you go about doing this and how do you get the money to them?? What percentage you give goes straight to the group or do you divey it out. Do you put their logo etc on your site and explain so much goes for that organization.

I would do it for animals and Breast cancer.My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer at 21 but lived to be 81.Now I have 4 friends and a niece with breast cancer. I have had benign cysts and turmors since I was 21 like my mother(but hers was cancer)Very scary when you are 21 and get the news and even if they find a tumor at that age like with me.Honestly I thought for months I did have cancer.My mom cried alot but I guess just remembering what she went through.My tumor brought it all back to her.

LynnS

How do you go about doing this and how do you get the money to them?? What percentage you give goes straight to the group or do you divey it out. Do you put their logo etc on your site and explain so much goes for that organization.

You have to contact the organization and can choose as many (or as few) organizations to donate to. You can learn more about how it's done here http://onepercentfortheplanet.com/en/members/how_to_join.php

My husband and I are pretty into the saltwater fly-fishing industry so there are several organizations that we have been interested in contributing to through 1% FTP.

I prefer to give to local charities as opposed to nationwide ones...

1. Lakeside Community Theatre-- a local non-profit theatre group. When you have artistic kids in a state that loves its football, you learn to appreciate your local arts groups, no matter how small.

2. The Samaritan Inn- A homeless shelter that provides family shelter, job training and placement, and transition apartments.

3. A variety of animal rescue groups in the area. Primarily those that pick up animals from kill shelters and find them foster, and adoptive, homes.

My percentages vary. I have some items that I donate at 100% from time to time... I donate items to silent auctions and other similar fundraisers as well.

I prefer to give to local charities as opposed to nationwide ones...

We do some local stuff as well.... Donating gift baskets for Hello Bully in Feb and gave a pile of candles to our local women's shelter. I am hoping to do some work with PASA http://www.pasafarming.org/ this spring/summer.

I love hearing about all of the wonderful things you all are doing!

I do fundraisers and craft shows for Relay for Life and local town organizations like the chamber of commerce and downtown initiatives that are trying to raise money for the community.

It's just a preference of mine to make business contributions to my community.

I try to stay away from doing good as it blows my image totally, but I do donate a % of all my sales to the Celiac Disease Foundation.

Grumpy ~ I have to jump into this conversation really quick to tell you that I adore you! Had such a bad day and was catching up on my reading here and you made me laugh so loud :P

Sorry folks...carry on with your discussion....:tiptoe:

btw: it's great what you all do for charities!

I give to local charities for their auctions

Cancer programs, alternative schools, that sort of thing.

I suppose if I was to contribute a percentage of my profit to a nationally recognized organization, it may help my business, but I just don't have the money to put out that way.