Wick pins versus wicks

JudyN

Hi Everyone -- I want to know the benefits of wick pins? I have noticed in the gallery that a lot of you use wick pins. I also noticed that then you say how much you hate to wick the candles? Does it save time to use wick pins? What is the benefit? TIA.

Hi Everyone -- I want to know the benefits of wick pins? I have noticed in the gallery that a lot of you use wick pins. I also noticed that then you say how much you hate to wick the candles? Does it save time to use wick pins? What is the benefit? TIA.

I like the fact that I can make it now and wick it later. It does make it easier to test. Slide the coated wick in and test...if it's the wrong one, just pull it out and put in another one. That's my thoughts on it....Chris

For me it saves time. It saves having to find something to put under a flat mold that would wobble with the wick and mold sealer. It saves the question of possibly having wiggling wick. I like wick pins, but it is a personal prefrence!

I much prefer them. You don't have to worry about keeping the wick tight and straight while pouring or setting up. It's much easier to yank the wick and replace when testing. Not to mention I can make 2 or 3 identical candles at a time. You can wait until you've burned the first one and have an idea of what size wick to try in the next one, since they're already made and waiting on you, you don't have to stop and pour another. Not to mention you don't have to fish the wick out of the pot after you melt a "goof up" down.

I just usually have trouble with wicking before pouring. Either I cut up the wick with the screw, or I get putty/tape residue stuck to the wick, or I can't get the dang knot out after having it pulled tight while the wax sets up in it.

I love tilted layers....soooo much easier to keep the wick pin straight than trying to keep the wick straight!

And as for votives...I can't tell you how many times I got distracted and ended up with wickless votives! :rolleyes2

Wick pins all the way for me!

I'll be the odd one this time. I love wick pins in votives but almost never use them in pillars. I make tilted layers all the time and never have a problem using a wicked mold.

e

e, does the end of your wick get coated with wax when you pour? I was mucking with a way of securing it with metal tape that would allow that to happen without getting glue or mold sealer on it but it's a pain. I kind of like the more traditional look that wicking the mold produces.

e, does the end of your wick get coated with wax when you pour? I was mucking with a way of securing it with metal tape that would allow that to happen without getting glue or mold sealer on it but it's a pain. I kind of like the more traditional look that wicking the mold produces.

I use a small square of alluminum foil and wrap it around my wick then us a huge glob of mold sealer to seal it.

I love wick pins for votives but for pillars I like threading them. I can get the wick straighter on tilted layers.

I use a small square of alluminum foil and wrap it around my wick then us a huge glob of mold sealer to seal it.

WOW - what an excellent idea!! I use wick pins, but definitely agree with Top on the "traditional" look, however, I don't like the way the wick looks after all the sealer. Yours is an excellent idea - I'm going to try that..... :grin2:

I use the jiffy wicker so I tie a knot and don't use mold sealer. I tried the mold sealer once and it made a mess of the wick and I didn't like it.

Okay, I'm thinking of ordering some wick pins. Does it matter if the wick pins is taller than the mold? There aren't a lot of different sizes in wick pins that I see.

I use the jiffy wicker so I tie a knot and don't use mold sealer. I tried the mold sealer once and it made a mess of the wick and I didn't like it.

Okay, I'm thinking of ordering some wick pins. Does it matter if the wick pins is taller than the mold? There aren't a lot of different sizes in wick pins that I see.

You need the wick pin taller than the mold so you won't completely cover the pin, thus filling in your wick hole. I use the little bit of left over wick pin to help pull the candle out of the mold. HTH

I just love the wick pins for votives and molds, but that's me. I tilt a lot and have a little something that keeps my wick pin in place while I play around with techniques and the wick doesn't get in my way. However, it's quicker to probably just wick pillars than it is to insert that dang wick after the fact, but each to her/his own ;)