Business or Pleasure?

Sara

What would you say you do more of? Is your candle/soap/craftmaking all for business, all for pleasure or a lopsided combination?

I'm especially curious of those who are running a business - do you ever "play" anymore? :)

All biz here...

Started out playing in 2000, then part-time, now full time for about 4 years.

It is a love~hate relationship sometimes... LOL

Do I play.. Nope..

It is all biz.. The only testing I will do is if I think it will sell and bring in some $$l!!;)

It's all about the Money!!!!:laugh2: Seriously!!!

Lopsided like crazy towards play. I'm still making batches of soap for randomness, figure the more I get out, the less time it will take for me to see just which recipe I like. I don't play too much with candles anymore, you can't get too insanely creative with tins. But I've made fun little additions to my incense, play with mixing scents, and am loving playing with soap, if only I could get a recipe that makes a bar I like.

What would you say you do more of? Is your candle/soap/craftmaking all for business, all for pleasure or a lopsided combination?

I'm especially curious of those who are running a business - do you ever "play" anymore? :)

I play all the time lol. I need to have play time so I don't get in a rut, but need to find other tools to play with maybe. So I'm still in the lopsided combination part I suppose.

All for business here. It used to be for my own "play" money but now, it goes for tuition expense with some left over for play. I don't get to "play" with it as much as I would like to...I really would like to try out new things and still want to get into soaping; alas, I just don't have the time. It seems like it is crunch time all the time in my world.

Interesting.

It is a rather expensive hobby, if it is all for play, that's for sure. As long as costs are covered, all is well (for me), but if costs weren't even covered, I couldn't justify the expense to our family budget.

There's a couple of you who say it is all business and no play. Does that mean it isn't fun, either? I wonder how many would continue, for business, even if it were not pleasurable at all. Not to say people don't work every day without enjoying it - they do it for the money. :) But making candles/crafting for pay is different than busing tables, etc.

Yes, but play is expression of creativity, I guess is the word, for me. From my end of the business, I have to have something that separates me from the rest and that's the ability to play to have different looks. Keep in mind, candle wise, it can always be remelted (which is going on now lol) and soap wise it can always be cut up into chunks or something.

This would just be my approach. The other half is all business and often tells the production half to stop playing around lol.

Edging more towards the biz side all the time. Especially since I really hit into production mode this past weekend.

My playtime is still there, but is mostly lmited to the bath and body stuff and through swaps where I feel like I can experiment some. My "play" with candles right now is testing new scents so I can flesh out my kind of scattered line. *sigh*

All business here too. I haven't "played" with pillars in years, unless it was a swap on here that I joined to do something new.

I mostly still love it. I've been working 12-14hr days the past 2 weeks and that's when I don't love it!

Interesting.

There's a couple of you who say it is all business and no play. Does that mean it isn't fun, either?

I am strictly container candles, so I don't have much to play with except my ladle..:laugh2:

It's fun when I pour in my PJ's, get to watch TV or listen to my music while pouring.

It's fun meeting new people and doing new shows..

I love to soap. Candles have become a drag for me. Eventually I will be phasing them out. When the wax is gone, it's gone. Biz here is RI has been very slow this holiday season. I am doing very well with private orders but the reatailers a afraid to stock.

Last Year I poured everyday for about 12 hours from end of Sept. to First week of December. I remember so well, when I poured my last case, Amish Harvest, I couldn't smell a thing, I was covered from head to toe in wax, scent, color, I peeled my clothes off took a shower and jumped into the hot tub and balled my eyes out I was so exhausted. Not a good memory LOL

I work full time and go to school part time. I have enough biz to afford my play. I don't want to be so big that it becomes work. That really scares me because I just have enough going on right now that I don't need more. I think some of my best pillars came out of my frustration at trigonometry! It's an outlet for me. I enjoy doing craft shows. I enjoy pouring pillars and seeing what comes out of the mold. Jars are bread and butter. Right now, it is just a perfect mix and still tons of fun.

The first 7 years was LOVE and business only, this year it's been HATE and business only....I closed my website, told all my customers I was closing, then saw the sadness in my retailers eyes...sooooo I decided to keep two large local retailers only, with scheduled order times in 2009....they are happy and I'm happy too! NOW I can play! I think I'm going to try some soap for fun!:P LOL

I'm happy again! LOL

And I also work a full time job to boot!

Totally for business, but I still enjoy it a lot. I wish I could do it at my leisure, but that's not the case. If I was married and had insurance with a hubby, I'd consider doing it full time, as opposed to part time/weekends. This year my "season" ends on Nov. 22 due to medical reasons, and I'm not happy about it. But I will re-start in January. Thinking of going to plain paraffin given the inconsistency I've experienced with the 50/50 waxes.