Starting my own business and really nervous about choosing the wax for candles...

Recently, I made some candles out of a slab of wax I purchased at the craft store. I paid like $10 for a 10lb slab because it was damaged and I used some body oils that were given to me as a gift to scent them. Just based on what I read here and on the very many candle making sites I found through CraftServer, I am happy to report, they flew out the door! I made about $300 off of that $10 minus the money spent for hex jars. I cannot tell you what kind of wax it was, nor could the store. The only thing the store could tell me was that it was a 'premium blend parrafin wax':confused: Everyone went completely nuts over them. I sold them at a club meeting and all of my reorders came from just one meeting! Now I am getting phone calls of when the next batch is coming. So thanks to elitenaildesign for bringing me to this site.....you are my friend forever :highfive: and to all of the contributors of great information you all donate. I have been reading on the computer so much to my eyes just hurt...lol. I have made some decisions about the wax end of my supply list and wanted to throw it out there for some of you already in business, just to get an idea if I was on the right track.

1. Melts - I wanted to go with JS's granular wax for my wax melts just for the simple fact that I like that its not a slab and that I can measure out what I need at the time and not have to fight the slab. I have looked for other places that have granular waxes but I did not find any. Does anyone know if there is another company that sells wax in this form?

2. Container Wax - IGI 4627 because it is a one pour (keeping my fingers crossed on that one) and the amount of fragrance it holds @ 12%. Has anyone seen granular container wax other than JSs 50-50? I wanted to stick with parrafin....don't know too much about soys....other than what I've read online here.

I have not made candles in so long before this last batch that I can't even tell you what the names of the waxes I used 15 years ago were....if there were any.

Thanks again to all of you. I have been toying around with this idea for a while now. I recently had to stop working because of 2 very serious illnesses and thought that would be a good way for me to get started in my own business and any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

You made candles using body oils? What kind of "body oils"?

You sold candles out of the blue at a club meeting after not making them for 15 years? This story sounds weird.

BTW, IMO, the best container wax is the comfort blend you mentioned. But why not stick with the wax you used that made those candles fly out the door.

You have a long road ahead of you. If you haven't made one candle with comfort blend yet, you will be in for a surprise when you see how it doesn't compare to the slab of wax you bought at a craft store. Secondly, wicking will be something you have to learn, and I personally (given the price of fragrance oil) would lean towards a wax that didnt' take 12% or 2 ounces per pound. You can make a kick ass candle at 6-8% with quality oils, wax, wicks. What type of jars are you using? And I can guarantee you won't be getting wax at a $1 per lb.

I use granulated tart wax and love it.

Good luck in your business, given the price of supplies, and our economy, this is a hell of a time to start.

I can tell you right now that you will be critisized harshly here on this site for making and selling candles without testing and research. First, please understand that most of us tested and researched for months and months before sending a finished product out to the public.....and spent a ton of money doing it.

You will get all different opinions on what is the best wax to use and the best supplier to get it from. I have tried 4627 and found it way too difficult to work with. I had to use several different wick sizes ...one size wick may work with a certain scent...but not another. But that was just my experience with it. And this was 5 yrs ago.

Until you get everything down pat I wouldnt sell to the public as you are opening yourself up to a lawsuit. Or maybe start with the tarts. They are flameless.

Yes you have to find the right wax for you but you also need to find the right oils, wicks, colors, jars, labels, warning labels, melting device and INSURANCE.

Good luck to you.

I think this is the time of year we all just need to save the same stock reply to these threads for easy copy/paste purposes for everyone that suddenly goes to hobby lobby, buys a slab of wax and decides to "open a business". Honestly, I think it's gonna save us all a LOT of time this fall/winter.

'Tis the season.

Edited to add:

While I'm thinking about it, there are 160oz of wax to a 10lb slab or about 160oz. Hex jars generally come in 9oz or 12oz, so figuring small... even at a 9oz jar, that would hold approx 9oz of wax (or there abouts) you're looking at only being able to make 17 candles with 10lbs of wax roughly. Hell as I figure, for about the $18 each on a 9oz hex jar you had to charge to make $300, you're doing WAY better than any of us could ever hope to. Keep rolling.

I am not sure what advice you are asking for. It seems you did very well on your own. I would keep buying the wax from the store you bought your wax since it seemed to work for you. It is odd the store doesn't know where the wax came from. Most stores know who their suppliers are. As for using body oils to make candles is another red flag. Hopefully it said it was safe for candles. Your insurance agent would be able to help you with that. I just hope you do have insurance. It would be horrible if you burned down someone's home and it cost you thousands of dollars for negligence just to make $300.00. Doesn't make sense.

Well I had the same idea when I first started last November. I thought really how hard could this be and I order a 10lb slab of wax, 1 fo, and 1 pack of wicks from a supplier last year and made 8 pillars for my family, didnt even test one of them. I really thought that the wick that the supplier said would work would, but let me tell you it didnt. So I found this board and ordered a case of wax and 4 different fos and and every size CD wick I could get my hands on and tested like crazy. And finally in JUNE I was able to replace the candles to my family because I felt really bad and wanted them to have a great candle. And still almost a year later I have not sold one candle yet because I really want to make sure that I have repeat customers not just a one time sale.

I really do wish you the best of luck with your business but please be careful with the product you sale because it is your neck on the line. And please God say you have insurance already.:shocked2:

And sorry if seems like we are being really hard on you, we really are just trying to look out for you and your customers.

HTH some

And Grumpy Girl she could of used the 3.75 hex jars they hold about 3 oz in them and that way she could of made about 53 candles from the wax and sell them for around $6.00 each

Antonia

Body oils? Did you test them, how did they burn? I don't think you are supposed to use those...If you said the craft store told you it was a premium blend, it was probably Yaley's wax. Good luck on your candlemaking journey. Be ready to spend a crapload of money and drive yourself mad with the testing process (please test your candles before selling them, you only get one chance to make a good first impression on customers)

Wow I did not expect to see so many responses. Let me go back and clarify some things.

RingofFire-I was told that these were body oils. They were purchased by a friend who was trying to push me a little. I had been toying with the idea of b&b for a year now. According to the packaging, they are manufacture's grade oil that I was supposed to use in an unscented cream base that I used for pedicures. Yes I am also a licensed nail technician of 17 years hence my curiosity with this craft. About 15 years ago, I took some workshops at a community center. If I can figure out how to post pics, I have my seashell pillar candles that I made all those years ago that I never burned. As for the story sounding 'weird'.....well I kinda walked into this $10 slab with my shopping cart. The only reason that I can't keep using the same wax is because it was discontinued hence the deeply discounted price. It was regularly $25 bucks. Sometimes truth is harder to believe than fiction.

Greeneyedney-This particular craft store is a specialty store and not a chain store like Michaels or Hobby Lobby. The clerk could not be sure if it were pillar or container wax but reluctently said it could be container wax because it had been discontinued but she could not be for sure if it had gone on clearance. There weren't any more in the store, just that one.

Debscent-Thanks for the information. I have not quite decided yet but leaning towards a Apothecary type jar. Because most of the jars I looked at are larger containers than I am used to working with, I think I may start off smaller like with masons or jelly jars until I test them. Yes, I plan on testing them as I did with my hex jars. I will definitely rethink my wax choice for my containers.

Kimberly-Thanks for the information. I can most certainly appreciate the time and effort put into making a product. I am pretty used to reactions like this on other forums with newbies to the site. Again, I am not completely a novice to this, just in need of refreshing. I will be doing melts as tart is a trademark of YC. But I plan to call them something else. Insurance is taken care of but thanks for the concern.

Grumpy Girl-Stepping around a part of your post, I will address the issue with the jars. Ok....according to my notes here....I used 4 oz hex jars as Antonia stated hold 3.75 oz of wax. I only made 40 jars and what I sold them for is not important but Antonia is on the right track but I was just slightly off on my numbers as well.

HeavenScentU-thanks for the concern....I never said that the store did not know where it came from BUT that they were not sure if it were container or pillar wax. I invite you to go back and reread my initial post.

PamW-Yes! Apparently this store did carry container wax at some point.

Flutterbye-They were not body oils but a manufacturer's grade fragrance oil. I mispoke there. But of the 10 only 6 of them burned clean with out smoking and had a nice scent throw. 2 of the 4 that I did not use smoked and the other 2 I could not smell too much. Again, I am not new to the business arena so I know all about first impressions.

I hope I clarified everything that I ommitted.

Kimberly-Thanks for the information. I can most certainly appreciate the time and effort put into making a product. I am pretty used to reactions like this on other forums with newbies to the site. Again, I am not completely a novice to this, just in need of refreshing. I will be doing melts as tart is a trademark of YC. But I plan to call them something else. Insurance is taken care of but thanks for the concern.

Insurance is already taken care of? I would make certain of that. Some companies may cover B&B but not candles. If you have liability for your Salon...That is a whole other animal than a Crafters Policy. As you can tell, I am a little passionate about this subject since I am an Insurance Agent.:grin2:

Candybee, I just really did not think about it all that much, until today, the risk I took. That's why it is great places like this are around to keep anxious crafters like myself informed. The information that I read in my research did not tell me alot of what I heard today. So I guess, I'll have to ask more questions BEFORE I plunge next time.

Kimberly, I'll contact my agent to be sure...again, thanks for the concern. Can you tell me though, if melts and m&p soaps would fall under a Crafter's or B&B policy?

Now off to play with new fo's!:drool:

Candybee, I just really did not think about it all that much, until today, the risk I took. That's why it is great places like this are around to keep anxious crafters like myself informed. The information that I read in my research did not tell me alot of what I heard today. So I guess, I'll have to ask more questions BEFORE I plunge next time.

Kimberly, I'll contact my agent to be sure...again, thanks for the concern. Can you tell me though, if melts and m&p soaps would fall under a Crafter's or B&B policy?

Now off to play with new fo's!:drool:

Most "crafters" policies will cover both...differs from Company to Company. You usually have to list each specific type of craft that you make. I know of some companies that will cover Candles but not B&B. Some will cover B&B but not made from scratch..just bases. Just check with your company to make sure.

Wow I did not expect to see so many responses. Let me go back and clarify some things.

RingofFire-I was told that these were body oils. They were purchased by a friend who was trying to push me a little. I had been toying with the idea of b&b for a year now. According to the packaging, they are manufacture's grade oil that I was supposed to use in an unscented cream base that I used for pedicures.

Flutterbye-They were not body oils but a manufacturer's grade fragrance oil. I mispoke there. But of the 10 only 6 of them burned clean with out smoking and had a nice scent throw. 2 of the 4 that I did not use smoked and the other 2 I could not smell too much. Again, I am not new to the business arena so I know all about first impressions.

I hope I clarified everything that I ommitted.

Tried to stay out of this post, but I can't. These 2 particular statements really stuck out in my mind. They SCREAM .... "HELLO!!! I really don't know what I am doing and I really need to research, learn and TEST before I just jump in and start selling to the uninformed public!!"

I can understand your excitement about learning a new "craft/hobby" ..... Hell, we all can because we have all been in your shoes. However, you are going about it all wrong. You're putting the cart before the horse and if you don't stop now, there's a good chance it will end badly!

Slow down, take your time and start from the beginning with quality products that you KNOW what they are and where they came from. You should approach this "business" adventure the same way you did becoming a nail technician. Surely you didn't decide one day that you liked doing nails ..... and the next day you set up shop and did nails for the public?

Remember that no matter what hobby, craft or business you are interested in ..... EDUCATION is the KEY to SUCCESS! ;) You can never make a 1st impression twice.

GL

Guest scrapgabbie

Gosh everyone, l was so saddened to read some of these replies. Some of you have been really harsh and unnecessarily abrupt, some really condescending and rude. Do you have any idea how intimidating this forum can be for a newbie? Yes, we may come across as sounding incredibly dumb and downright stupid, (l didn't know there was a defined season of the year for doing it in either!?) and we may have more blind misguided enthusiasm than technical knowhow, but in my case l am here because l really do LOVE what l have learned so far, l love it, and l WANT to learn more.

l've already been lectured by someone here who knows nothing about me and my background and has made assumptions about why l make candles and what l am doing with them. lt's not nice - l was really enjoying posting my pics and my adventures so far, but now l hesitate before posting anything and find myself worrying that l am putting me and my creations up for criticism - am l going to get picked on for using xyz wick in abc wax, and what if my wick has toppled over a bit, heck, is someone going to jump down my throat because it might look like it is not centred perfectly?

We might not have posted here as much as some of you, and we may not be business people, manufacturers or experts, but we are doing the best we can, enjoying ourselves, and learning as we go. l think to assume that someone has done no research because they haven't described it in detail or been a member here for a long time is just really wrong.

When l read the first entry of this thread, even little old me of 23 posts picked up on a few mistakes that l was glad l never made, but l would never assume it okay to jump down anyone's throat about them, especially not on a public forum.

Someone on this forum has a fabulous quote in their signature that goes something like this and says it all for me:

'Be kinder than necessary because everyone is fighting some kind of battle'

If this is meant to be a business only forum, or for experts only, then maybe it should be closed to new members and us newbies can go and be ignorant elsewhere.

Have stayed way outta this one so far on purpose - and maybe I should stay out of it now but I have never been accused of being overly bright in matters like this . . .

Actually, I feel like everyone has been really nice in this one - You should see some of the threads in the past that were similar to this!

As far as making assumptions here, I don't see that as the case - the original poster plainly states that she is starting a business and as a matter of fact has already sold candles without even knowing what wax she was using

After taking some classes 15 years ago she picks up the wax and wicks again and starts selling?

In my opinion everyone is trying to help her - As several have stated - you only get one chance to make a first impression - plus we must all remember this is a product that if used improperly has the potential to burn down a house or even put lives at risk

No one is trying to discourage her or anyone else from learning or from even asking questions - This is a great forum - A lot of knowledge here and a lot of experience - But you have to learn to crawl before you can walk as the old saying goes and I guess it's only natural to want to run from the very start

I do not sell although I have had people who wanted me to - I never even gave one of my candles away until that puppy had been tested to death and then retested and tested again

I never took a couple of classes but I poured for several years before I took my break from this - (Well actually I guess I did - Went to an all day IGCA seminar once so I guess that was a class) I only took about a year's break and not 15 years but coming back I feel like I must start all over again and have begun extensive testing once again

Will I ever sell my candles? quite possibly - when they get to the point where I feel confident that they are the very best they can possibly be

Are they there yet? Maybe in some people's opinion, but not in mine

I dunno - maybe I should have stayed out of this one after all - I have prattled on way too much and still not really said anything :confused:

Being "tough" on someone is not being rude. This is a craft that some of us take very seriously, and given the nature of it, should be approached with caution.

It's like watching CSI and saying, I am going to be a medical examiner, let me do an autopsy. You have to know what you are doing. No, candle making is not like being a heart surgeon where someone's life depends on it, but if you make an inferior product where you don't know the wick/wax/oil combo and it starts a fire...yeah, someone's life can pay for your mistake.

I think the original poster found a lot of information here and will learn as she goes.

This forum has some really great advice. Sometimes you will find that some people just have something to say about EVERYTHING. But as a free thinking individual, I would think it would be easy to sort through.

One again, Gabbie and RNS, welcome to the board. Enjoy the experience!