Branching out beyond candles, soaps, etc.

Sara

Well, if the prices of my wax and shipping keep going up, I am thinking of taking up the accordian and standing on street corners. Maybe plate spinning? Become a contortionist? I used to be of the mind set, "Yeah, wax is going up...build it into your price." But heck, each time I order I have an increase...be it with the product, shipping, or both.

I am thinking of taking up standing on street corners.
013.gif

You would make a fortune!!! Work it girl!!!

011.gif

On a serious note... I hear ya both...

Some light weight crafts would be great to get started on as lugging candles to shows is tuff with a bum shoulder.

And with the rising costs of oils, wax and supplies.. Who knows..

As VE said, yes, I have raised my prices to meet my costs, but I am also seeing people are choosing the smaller candles to buy, and my large candles were always my biggest seller....

People are buying smaller and watching their $$.. So we shall see.. Hoping the FR bring in lots of $$..

As I have said earlier this year on a thread...

After this season, I am seriously going to re-evaluate the candle biz as my full time biz ... So let the $$ roll in!!!:D

LOL. I like the plate spinning... wonder if you can buy those wholesale?

It is interesting, looking back at candlemaking as craft to business and how it has been effected by the rising costs. The price of wax doesn't make it as easy for a crafter to break in and give it a go. Though many of us burned up a lot of money testing and honing our craft anyway, finding it pricey even five years ago. Can't imagine starting today.

The drop in new crafters might be a good thing for the already established business owner. But then also, like islandgirl said, people are being more picky with their money, buying smaller and probably needing to put more in the tank and the grocery bill.

But back to topic...

My aunt makes a living selling doll clothes on ebay and she does pretty darn well.

A woman in our school bakes wheat-flour cookies (that's her niche) at a local bakery and sells them at farmer's markets.

If I were to lean another way it might be towards baking/cooking. I don't really have any other marketable craft that comes to mind. I knit, but I don't do it well enough that anyone would want to pay for it, I don't think, LOL.

I hear you all on the rising cost of supplies. I have already adjusted my pricing this year (fortunately I padded it a bit to accommodate a little more of an increase) but I can't go much higher. People in this area are just not willing to buy "luxury items" right now with the cost of gas and food.

With that said I have 2 good friends that sell homemade craft. One does a variety of prim and wood crafts the other make gaaaawgous quilts, pillows and fabric crafts. We were just discussing this topic 2 weeks ago at a show and they told me that the majority of people were only spending $10-$20 where in the past they would see sales in the $60-$75 range at the same show.

I think the economy has hit all types of crafters. I'm REALLY hoping the fall/holiday season is good to us all.

I have a friend that sells prim dolls she makes herself. She tried to get me in on that craft, but I'm just not a good seamstress and didn't enjoy it the one time I made one. But, there can be good money in it if the stars are properly aligned with ebay and craft shows. There's an ebay seller right now that has bids of over $200 on a prim doll. Type in "primitive folk art moon doll" in ebay's search feature, or look for buyer "cartbeforethehorse" and see all the listings for their dolls.

My friend (who is not the person mentioned in the ebay search) buys muslin by the bolt to save on costs, and searches thrift stores for vintage fabrics she recycles from old clothes, and also finds good deals on the internet for other fabrics. Making primitive olls is a very affordable craft right now compared to soap and candles.

Well I'm keeping my 9-5 day job thats for sure!

I love making candles and soap so much I don't want to change! What I am finding is I can sell more smaller pieces so instead of a 16oz candle I gravitated towards 4oz and 8oz candles.

I also have nicely packaged soap that is gift ready that I sell for a slightly higher price than the unpackaged soap I sell in a tray. I just wrap a custom band around the soap and sell it at a cheaper price. It outsells the packaged 10-1.

But I also started adding lotion and bubble bath and want to add more B&B. As soon as I started adding lotion I was surprised how quickly it sold so thats a keeper.

If I could change my craft I would love to do something like bakery products, candy, or natural or organic type pet treats.

I see the bakery vendors sell out at each craft show I do. Its enough to make you ill watching. But they do it everytime. I guess people will always want fresh bread, cakes, pies, candy, etc. I don't know if the organic pet treats would be as big a market but I know people spend a lot on their pets.

I have a friend that sells prim dolls she makes herself. She tried to get me in on that craft, but I'm just not a good seamstress and didn't enjoy it the one time I made one. But, there can be good money in it if the stars are properly aligned with ebay and craft shows. There's an ebay seller right now that has bids of over $200 on a prim doll. Type in "primitive folk art moon doll".

The supplies for this type of craft can be more affordable these days but they are terribly labor intensive. I've made hundreds of dolls and I can tell you you do not get anything for your time. Yes, you might only have ten dollars in supplies but you might have 2 days work invested. This can mean a 10 hour work day for about 25.00 profit in my area. Of course if you are in an area where folks will spend more. This doll on ebay looks as if it took an incredible amount of time.

Even folks who make primitive wood crafts are having a difficult time around here. There is always a table at the shows that undersells the because they are selling the cheap (but cute) stuff that you can get from Ohio Wholesale. Handmade can't compete. I met a lady who did lovely hand painted wood crafts who began just decoupaging prints onto wood rather than painting because she said people just wouldn't pay enough to make it worth her while to hand paint anymore.

Glo

We have friend that opened a candy business.

With food products, I think it is a different ball game. You have to be inspected by the Health Department and have to have a separate (not your kitchen) building that you do your cooking in and it all has to be up to code.

I crochet as well and have wondered how well people on Etsy do selling crocheted items. Problem is... it is even more time consuming than wax. hahaha....

I got into playing with wax 2.5 years ago and it was high back then. And shipping was high too.... so perhaps I am use to these prices. With our dependency on oil I will not hold my breath for wax and shipping prices to come back down.

It's the same with candle and soapmaking, it can be just as labor intensive when you consider the packaging and labeling that goes into it. With doll making the key is to make something unique.

It can be a tough market to crack and that's why I would try my hand at it on ebay if I was gonna do it. You get so much more exposure than you ever could at a craft fair or brick and mortar store. With ebay, you've got nuts that are willing to shell over any amount to get the thing they want; just the type of customer that is usually hard to come by at fairs.

Unlike candles, there aren't as many competing against you for the same dollar on ebay, although there are still lots of them there.

I just thought of this--another website I frequent advertises aromatherapy dolls. They are small cloth dolls that look like some kind of mardis gras clown (pretty garish) and those sell for about $24 each. Here's a different site I found that has some for $59 each--nothing like the other ones, but a lot more expensive. If anyone has any sewing skills, maybe this is something else to venture into.

[quote name=pixisprkl;698407

With food products' date=' I think it is a different ball game. You have to be inspected by the Health Department and have to have a separate (not your kitchen) building that you do your cooking in and it all has to be up to code.

Food is a whole different game but it is being hit hard also. We have a small concession stand and only do stuff for friends a few times a year. Two week ends ago we did our biggie festival. Food cost us around 35% more than last year. We sold less, and people were looking for the cheapest menu items we had. We also noticed more people with coolers and their own food this year.

Glo

Hey, here is the link where the doll artist made some moohla!! These are faboulous creations!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/WHITE-PUMPKIN-on-CROW-Doll-Folk-Art-Halloween-EHAG-ooak_W0QQitemZ300253088790QQihZ020QQcategoryZ158655QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I saw in big decrease in sales for candles this year for my spring show.I hope fall is better.I know on-line sales are starting with in 1 week a request for wholesale and a fundraiser.Then my regular customer is back ordering and a new one that will be re-ordering.All in one month so that is good since shows might not be.

For another craft I have some wood items here I know husband can make and I paint or stain.We can just look at them and be able to make them.PROBLEM is he has a busy job and not alot of time.Wood crafts take time.I see the woodcrafters at shows who start doing there items soon after craft show season.They make cabinets, and other large things and people walk out with them big time.Then there are signs and just outdoor type of items.

That will someday be my goal since I know a few candlemakers who do this. One's husband is retired though.

For food yes people have to and want to eat.I had a person owns a restaurant and when she found out I made candles she said I will stick with the food business.I said Yes people like to eat. To me she was sarcastic.Is anyway.

LynnS

[quote name=

Hey, here is the link where the doll artist made some moohla!! These are faboulous creations!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/WHITE-PUMPKIN-on-CROW-Doll-Folk-Art-Halloween-EHAG-ooak_W0QQitemZ300253088790QQihZ020QQcategoryZ158655QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You see, that's what I'm talking about! Who wouldn't spend 2 days if need be sewing one of those to make that kind of cash?

You have to be inspected by the Health Department and have to have a separate (not your kitchen) building that you do your cooking in and it all has to be up to code.

The lady I'm talking about uses a local baker's kitchen to make her cookies. Which, depending on how much that costs, seems brilliant anyway because of the industrial kitchen increasing productivity.

You see, that's what I'm talking about! Who wouldn't spend 2 days if need be sewing one of those to make that kind of cash?

That's what I'm talking about, LOL. My husband's aunt is amazed at what people will pay for the clothes she makes. They are for the American Girl dolls. Apparently some of the people who own those dolls will spend more for their doll's clothes than some would spend for their own wardrobe.

I don't have anything that I'm that good at now, but I wasn't any good at candles when I started either. I just enjoy making candles and I'm not in it to quit my day job or make a fortune. I only started to be able to afford more supplies. I'm OK with that.

I have a friend that makes jewelery. She has some neat stuff but jewelery crafters are flooded. She started making hot/cold corn bags. They are simple, cost about 65 cents and maybe 45 minutes and she sells them for $5. Still not a killing, but she is only the second crafter I have seen making them so she at least has a niche.

I don't have anything that I'm that good at now, but I wasn't any good at candles when I started either. I just enjoy making candles and I'm not in it to quit my day job or make a fortune. I only started to be able to afford more supplies. I'm OK with that.

I have a friend that makes jewelery. She has some neat stuff but jewelery crafters are flooded. She started making hot/cold corn bags. They are simple, cost about 65 cents and maybe 45 minutes and she sells them for $5. Still not a killing, but she is only the second crafter I have seen making them so she at least has a niche.

The corn bags are a good idea. I had a friend who made them with rice. Got beautiful satin type fabric and sewed them about the size of a neck pillow.... filled with rice, a few dabs of essential oil.... and then sold them for 20-25 dollars in Vegas.

And they work great too.

I've met a "corn bag" lady at several shows we have done. They really do well but hers were a bit more elaborate I think. Made with the brocade type material, perhaps a placemat. I made some rice ones at home for us after I saw hers. Kids like them for taking to bed with them in the winter.

Glo

The lady I'm talking about uses a local baker's kitchen to make her cookies. Which, depending on how much that costs, seems brilliant anyway because of the industrial kitchen increasing productivity.

That is very smart. No cost to her to run a kitchen to health standards.

My husband is military and he says there has been a couple times when someone sent goodies over in a care package for the soldiers and a "higher up" liked their stuff so much that they bought cases for other soldiers in different areas and it turned into a business from that. Never know where the opportunity will come from.

OK - I am going to ask the "dumb" question. What is a corn bag? Never heard of them :confused:

They are bags (my friend makes hers about 9"x9") filled with seed corn that you put in the freezer or microwave - depending on what the need. I love mine in the winter. I zap it in the micro for 1-1/2 minutes then toss it under my covers - toasty! I have one in the freezer just waiting for boo boos.

My friend makes them with removable pillow cases that are machine washable.

I also have a tube shaped one for my neck - great warm muscle relaxer, stress reliever.

We ventured out on the farmers market side this year... still took our candles, soaps and things, however, in the market we can sell our fresh veggies,, plus canned jellies,salsa's etc. ;So the summer months have remained very profitable with our business.

That's great, SherriLynn. I could especially see if you were selling at a Farmer's Market how that would tie in nicely.

Never know where the opportunity will come from.

Well, that is the truth!!

That is interesting with the corncobs. I've heard of the packs made with rice, not corn... wonder if there's a big difference. I would think the rice would be much pricier.

I have a retail store and have just added a local jewelry maker to add her items in the store. She makes really pretty jewelry and so far it has sold very well. There are some pottery items, also from a local artist too. I actually the jewelry in my windows as I have three large windows and of course cannot put any of MY products there as they melt or turn rancid...anyway...it gets the attention of shoppers and if they happen to buy a candle too....even better!! I am actually looking for someone to put handbags in the store on consignment. Right now, I feel like the more variety...the better! I don't want to make anything else but welcome other peoples craft.