What is your favorite candle story?

Speaking to the "in cold weather, it's hard to smell the candle"....well, I have plenty of customers that actually put their candles in their freezer....they SWEAR it makes them smell even better and last longer...?? I don't know, but I use to pour paraffin and the smell only got stronger IMO...I have boo-boos and mix-n-match candles from 1 year ago that I am burning in my place, and they smell just as good as they did when I poured them.

My candle story is: It's a funny.....I did a show at the Bluebonnet Festival years ago....at that time I poured "Sex on the Beach".....two older women walked in my booth smelling and looking around....one said to the other "Oh, you've got to smell this candle"...the other one walked over and saw the name and said "Oh no, I can't smell that....it has SEX in it! I bet it smells nasty!".....OMG I just rolled when I heard her say that!

Well I don't have to do that to my candles, because they have soy in them. I was only telling what I have heard from others. It seems to be that if anyone on here tells something that bothers some of these (Queen Know It Alls), it turns into a witch hunt. The only way to get along on this site, is to just say what they want to hear, and comply with the others. Never tell any secrets, or something that might not be in the book. And God forbid making up your own recipe for candle making. And most of them assume that the other guys candles are not as good as their own. Candle Makers tend to think they are the best, and they know everything. There is a reason for that. Our customers all tell us we have the best candles around. So we tend to believe them. The smart thing to do, is listen, don't B about it and see what others say too. You just might find out that a whole bunch of candle makers have a lot of secrets they do not share, for fear some one will jump on their method. Oh, and by the way, go to a fine store that sells candles, pick up some of the expensive ones. Feel around the rim of the lid, or look at the center of the wick, check it out. You will find oil on a lot of them. One that I see all the time takes a toothpick and drizzles a line of oil from the wick out, for scent. They make great candles, and they sell a lot of them. Go ahead, look, you will find them. And if you can't see it, then you must be a newbie. You can come back on this e-mail all you want to. You don't and never will bother me in the least. I make good money (when it is not 104) and have for 9 years. My customers come back and have for years. That is why I know I have a good candle. :highfive:

I think you or whoever wrote your reply needs to spend more time on this board. "Secrets" are shared all of the time. New ways of doing things are introduced almost daily.

My problem with your advice is your use deception for a sale. Wiping FO on the rim of a candle or lid is deception. Thinking that paraffin doesn't hold scent well is an indication you are not educated in the craft. People can sell crap, they do it all the time, and they sell it for years and years.

You admitted in a prior post that you were unaware of adding your time into the cost of your candle, so forgive me for not giving you credit for being a savvy business person.

I don't make things personal on here. It's a message board, but I will give you a piece of personal advice. Look at your website, it is riddled with misspelled words and improper grammar. I hope you have a prosperous business, as I hope everyone on this board does. We are a community of crafters who enjoy the same craft. We should support each other, but when something that comes out as possibly unethical, etc., it will be brought up for discussion.

Well I don't have to do that to my candles, because they have soy in them. I was only telling what I have heard from others. It seems to be that if anyone on here tells something that bothers some of these (Queen Know It Alls), it turns into a witch hunt. The only way to get along on this site, is to just say what they want to hear, and comply with the others. Never tell any secrets, or something that might not be in the book. And God forbid making up your own recipe for candle making. And most of them assume that the other guys candles are not as good as their own. Candle Makers tend to think they are the best, and they know everything. There is a reason for that. Our customers all tell us we have the best candles around. So we tend to believe them. The smart thing to do, is listen, don't B about it and see what others say too. You just might find out that a whole bunch of candle makers have a lot of secrets they do not share, for fear some one will jump on their method. Oh, and by the way, go to a fine store that sells candles, pick up some of the expensive ones. Feel around the rim of the lid, or look at the center of the wick, check it out. You will find oil on a lot of them. One that I see all the time takes a toothpick and drizzles a line of oil from the wick out, for scent. They make great candles, and they sell a lot of them. Go ahead, look, you will find them. And if you can't see it, then you must be a newbie. You can come back on this e-mail all you want to. You don't and never will bother me in the least. I make good money (when it is not 104) and have for 9 years. My customers come back and have for years. That is why I know I have a good candle. :highfive:

A lot of your posts are very contradictory to other posts you've made.

Ok, I just learned something. I have never added my own labor cost. No wonder I don't make any money. That is going to make my candles really high though. I don't know if this little town can handle that. Wow. I can't beleive that I haven't thought of that. thanks :embarasse

Well I don't have to do that to my candles, because they have soy in them. I was only telling what I have heard from others.

So you have never personally done that to your candles? Also, it seems that you are saying if candles don't have soy in them, they need extra help? So whose "all paraffin" candles did you smell that did not cut the mustard and needed the extra oil?

Sharing trade secrets that are positive, helpful and make a better candle is a lot different than sharing deceptive practices. You may have made candles for nine years, but there are many, many folks out here who are starting out, some mostly lurk. They see what you posted about ways to deceiving a customer and then voila, they do it, not taking the time to learn to make a candle that has a cold throw. Sometimes handmade candle makers get a bad wrap because there are way too many out there who don't take the time to test and learn, who only take short cuts like wiping oil on the rim of a jar.

In your original post, you never made it sound as though it was the wrong thing to do, that it is deceptive, which again, I feel it is. In fact now you say companies that "make a good candle and sells a lot of them" do it. Again, someone learning to make candles is going to see a person who says they have made candles for nine years, claiming to make good money talking about doing something deceptive that is even practiced by the big candle companies. You say they do that because it is well known that paraffin candles don't have a good cold throw. Those who know better, know better. But again, someone who is just learning will read what you wrote and thus, carry on the deception.

You are right, I apoligize. I forget there are a lot of newbies that watch this site. I would never want anyone to make a candle that is bad. I was just trying to defend a candlemaker friend that I know. She refreshes her candles and her potpourri with a little oil before a show. I didn't see anything wrong with it, because she has really great candles. As far as my website needing a lot of correction. Thanks for letting me know. I actually didn't know that. I did it my self and I am sure it has errors. I am a country hick. I will check it out. My comment the other day about not making any money because I don't add my labor cost was kinda true. I never said I didn't make a lot of candles. I have a pretty good size business. But I do not make what I think I should. And that may be part of it. I just hate to go up on the price, when so many people are struggling. I am sorry for my mistakes. I am not perfect, by all means. When I write, I noticed that people take it the wrong way, a lot. I must be a crummy writer too. Forgive me, and I will try to watch what I say. I really don't want to steer anyone the wrong way, ever. I love this site. I have learned a lot, and hopefully I have helped some of you too. Sorry :embarasse

Potpourri is different than a candle. Refresher oils are used in that all the time, but that material absorbs the fragrance, doesn't sit on top of it, doesn't create debate. Just because bigger companies do this or that doesn't make it "right."

Insinuating there are Queen-know-it-alls on here probably ruffled the feathers of a lot of people who do their stuff. You know, it was oh rude.

My favorite candle story is when an experienced candle maker pulled out from working for my daughter and I had to take her place. Everything fell in my lap and into place and months later after we had moved to a larger location she came into the store, with a friend who said, "Man, these candles are strong!" The former candle maker said, "Oh, shut-up".

I didn't start out with a whole lot of scents and I don't carry more than 20, so I had time to perfect these few. Branching out slowly. I have tons of samples that I've tried and tons I don't like.

Scented turned me on to Scent Works and now she is not my friend!!! I can't afford their Fragrances!!! :laugh2:

:laugh2: :laugh2:

I thought that was only one fragrance, lol!

I'm still depressed I can't afford any others. :cry2:

I had ordered the Vanilla Sandalwood and Green Irish Tweed samples along with the 16 oz Sanguigno Orange and Patchouli.

Don't speak to me. You are not my friend!!!!!

:laugh2:

my favorite... if we can say so... I found it on yahoo answer, where someone also quoted my site on how to burn a candle.. well, one user asked how can he prevent pillars from dipping.

The answers were horrible, one said that you can't, another said that only tealights don't drip.. and the best of all.. voted by everyone.. was.. to put candles in water and salt and leave it there for one night.

:tongue2::tongue2:

they should have only clicked on the link on my site LOL

I remember those old stories about putting candles in the freezer overnight. It supposedly slowed down the burn. I even tried it a few times, many many years ago.

Now I ask you, if the thing is wicked properly, why on earth would you want to slow down the burn? Just another silly old wives' tale promoted because people buy crap candles made in China that aren't properly made to begin with.

I have learned some new things on this post. I didnt know some candlemakers put FO around the top of the jar. New to me and decieving. I have people smell my candles with the lids on and I tell them to take them off. They say we can smell them with the lid on.

For putting candles in freezer I didn't hear that till this week from a new customer.She puts hers in the freezer because of the heat in Fla. I am sure with the humidity and high temps it would help there.

One thing that gets to me are people who say "our candles are triple scented". I do know some fragrances you might need 1.5 ounces but I do fine with the 1 ounce per lb. Glad because I would hate to put more money in candles than I could afford. Find a good scent supplier one ounce should work.

For my candle story.I had a customer come to my booth and tell me she would buy from me because the lady across from me had her candles in the sun and they will lose their scent. I said I never heard of that. She said yes I make candles too and my niece left some in the sun. I was so upset with her because when I took them home after a camping trip they lost their scent. I didn't say a word but came on here and told this a few months ago. DA we burn our candles and sometimes they get stronger after you burn them a short time. Mine have.

This same customer and her friend found a scent they liked.She told her friend to buy my candle and if she liked it he friend could buy the fragrance and she would make the candles. She did say she sells to people she knows and doesn't do bad. I really have no idea why she stopped. I guess to see if I have a good business. I do get people stop, ask a few questions and tell me their daughter, sister niece etc make candles and they have so much business they don't know what to do. I would never have that much nerve to do that. No candlemaker will have to worry about me questioning their customers or business. I feel that is not my business.

LynnS

My favorite story is the one about the butt candle for a laxative. It was posted on this board a while back and I can't help but laugh everytime I think about it. Here's the link to the butt candle:

http://www.buttcandle.com/

Sorry I know I am a little late to get to this but just had to comment. That butt candle is the funniest thing I have ever heard of. Just one question how did you come across this?