Stupid Dumb Question From A Silly Old Man

My daughter brought be an old candle jar. The one with the wire bale on it to close the lid. The jar is 4 inches square and the mouth is 3 3/8 wide. I have zinc core wicks here (tabed) and they are for 4 and 5 inch containers. Will one of these work for me????? Next, this jar is 3 inches high (fat little bugger) any ideas how much wax to use????

Appreciate ALL input. thanks

Hey Top. Using your method. It holds 17.5 oz of water times .86 equals 15.5 oz wax. Is that correct? Wax weighs more than water Or rather displaces more than water. Damn, I give up. If that works you've sure made my life a whole lot easier.

The one you want to use is mine, since you are weighing the wax. Try it, you'll like it.

Georgia is a bit off because her formula won't give you the weight you need. It would only be correct if you were measuring liquid wax in a measuring cup. LOL, there is always someone who steps in to ensure people stay confused.

There is always someone who steps in to ensure people stay confused.

And hopefully that person is me. LOL. I always fill my container (mould) with water then tip it into a measuring jug to see what the volume is then multiply that figure by 0.8 to get my wax weight. HTH (or not). Cliff, be a devil and just give it a go - you can always remelt (don't I know it) and pour again later (while your pink candle is cooling - tee hee!!) Maureen

Hi Tucker,

One method gives you Liquid measurement(Anna"s) and the other gives you a weight measurement (Top's). HTH

Actually, it doesn't give you the liquid measurement. It gives you the weight, converted from liquid volume.

Tops reply stumped me for a bit. Then I finally noticed he said "weigh" the water. Usually using water, we think of fluid oz, not weight. It is curious though, that bit of difference. From fluid to weight would give 16 oz. From weight to weight, it's 15.5. I wonder if the fluid conversion was rounded off long ago in some far, far galaxy. Ohhh wait! It's the weight difference of the water, as well as the density difference between fluid wax and solid wax. Well pillar wax shrinks considerably when it solidifies. I wonder if the 16 oz solid wax/20 fluid oz liquid wax pertains to only pillars or containers.

Have I really confused everyone yet?? :o

Hey TOP. I think I trust your method. "IT WORKS FOR ME". MOZZIE, when me and the wife drop in for coffee we will discuss this issue further among other things. I WILL GIVE YOURS A SHOT TOMORROW THOUGH. It's 8:55 pm Sunday here, just got home, gonna watch some funky movie at 9:00 so I ain't got time right now. I'll get back to y'all in the morning. Thanks again.

It's 8:15 AM Monday morning and yes, "I am totally confused" altho I'm gonna stick with TOPS plan today and give it a try. I will however add a couple oz. for the repour. God bless ya all for you input. I will definitely post the results as they become available.

There are never ever STUPID or DUMB questions AND you are NOT a silly OLD man!!!!! You are a wonderful person and this is why we have this Board,,to help each other and to support one another with what we do!!!!!!! Just had to tell you that!!!! WE love ya Tucker!!!!!