Opinions Pleeeeease, Aroma beads VS Crushed Corn Cob

*Dee*

I make the crushed cob sachets and put them in hand sewn bags that my mom makes for me. I can buy the cob local at our feed store 30 lbs for $4.00. I use 1/4 cup cob and 2 tsp fragrance oil and they last atleast 6 weeks to 2 months. I get complaints they are almost to strong at first - lol. They sell like hot cakes for me all year long at $4.00 each. I considered the aroma beads but didn't even test due to the costs. This is a HUGE profit maker for me.

ETS - I package them in a cello bag with a business card type topper stuck with double sided tape. My label is an iron on transfer. This pic is older - my new labels have my business graphics and info.

I never thought of getting them from a feed store. What do you tell them you want to buy? Crushed corn?

I use a combination of corncob, aroma beads and orris root. They are all different in their "holding" length. Corncob is strictly a short term cellulose type medium and due to the pourous nature it will not hold the scent very long. Polymer beads if soaked and allowed to absorbed properly will release scent slowly and orris root is an excellent medium term fixitive, but is kinda pricey - so I do 1 lb. of each with only 1/2 lb. or orris root whem making my filler. You could use vermiculite instead of corn cob, they are in the same catagory. When I make my sachets, I do up the filler mix soaking in FO in a 32 oz mason, then measure out 2 oz into a small cello zip lock. Then I put that bag in the muslin, organza or other type bag - with directions. That way the filler is air tight until the customer uses it and since they are usually really strong at first, I tell them to simply open the bag first and then as the strength mellows to actually emtpy out the contents. Last year I made up kits with bags for customers to make their own - in a 16 oz mason with FO to add in a small bottle and 8 decorative bags and card with directions they could write on - sold over 4 rubbermaid 50 lb. containers of filler at the holidays alone.