Do you have to list burn times on your candles

When I lived in Europe and sold candles, not my own, noone ever expected to know the burn times, just sometimes the odd question on a huge candle would be how long would it burn for (when I say huge, I mean about 1m tall and around 20cm wide!!)

Has listing the burn times become an issue? I think that a lot of people would wick one size down to get this longer burn time and thus a smaller flame and then you might as well burn a melt for the scent!!

I guess it might vary in different countries, so please can I have any comments. Thanks

Nope, it's not required. Though it may be a good idea, it depends on your customers. I've noticed many web sites do list burn times but never thought too much of it. When I started selling (though I still don't sell much) I got asked occasionally. I may list it eventually but I still don't for now. The exception for me is votives. The burn time seems to be the standard measure rather than the size/weight.

Burn time is such a subjective thing it's not worth quoting. Do they trim their wicks, is it in a draft, etc, etc all have an effect on burn time. Since I can't control how they burn it, I don't bother with putting those numbers anywhere.

Sort of the candle equivalent of "Your mileage may vary...." :)

Totally agree!

It's my experience that not many ask, nor do many know what it's supposed to mean.

If you have accurate test times, it may be a good idea to use the info as a selling tool. On the other hand, if your numbers aren't 100% or darn near close to it, it could possibly hurt you.

Using examples like "10-15 hrs with proper burning techniques" so on, giving you a window is a good idea.

I had given a family friend some votives recently, and they said "I burned it, and it went everywhere. They didn't take into account the label on the bottom stating it should only be used in a votive holder. :rolleyes2

You don't have to do it. A lot of people do use it as a selling point.

Thanks for your comments. I have unfortunately come across most of my retailers asking this now, so guess I have to get testing and give an estimate, what a pain in the... Some idiot decided to enter the market and put burn times on all their candles so now everyone thinks they have the right to know. The candles I have tested (opposition) have almost drowning wicks in their containers even though a long burn time but then you might as well buy a melt!@!!!

Well then you can use that as a selling point ;) People may think the burn time issue is something new and it will eventually wear off. But really someone with a minimal flame may get a long burn time, but the rest of the candle can't be worth crap. There's really nothing more annoying than a candle that doesn't keep shape and one that doesn't stay lit ... IMO.