Flat rate postage boxes question please...

Vio

I have a flat rate box here and I want to mail my brother and his wife a few things I've made. Do I have to use the flat rate price for that box, or can I use the priority rate which comes out to less than the flat rate, and still use the box with the proper postage.

Either way it's going priority mail, and accurate postage will be paid. Does it matter if you mail a package using a flat rate box, for regular priority mail, is what I'm trying to ask. Thought about this too late and post office is closed, and putting together some stuff for him, and just wanted to have it ready to drop off at the post office on Monday. I can print the label through that click and ship thing, either flat rate or the regular priority weight/zone based mail. The weight based one comes up cheaper to mail, but I have no idea if I can still use the free flat rate box to use for regular priority mail. Anyone know?

If its a flat rate box, you have to pay the flat rate price. Stupid, but thats the postal service for ya!

They have regular priority mail boxes that are larger, and can be used for weights up to 70 lbs.

You may be able to still use the flat rate box if you cover up where it says flat rate, but I'd contact the post office first.

Yeah, I'm 98% positive you can't use flate rate for regular PM, but you can always ask. Do you have any other boxes? Any will do as long as what you print says "PM" on the label. Well, any that aren't huge. LOL! I have PM boxes in just about every sizs.

No I just have a box that says priority mail, flat rate on it.

Thank you. I'll just call before I head out to find out, on Tuesday. I might have a regular box somewhere that does say flat rate on it. Will look thanks! :)

Guest Amorelei

I won't go visit her in prison. The closest I come to prison is watching SuperMax on MSNBC. I will, however, tell you that a well-known supplier just turns the boxes inside out. Personally, Wal Mart is open 24 hrs and they sell boxes. Although, by the time you go buy a box, it might be just as cheap to pay flat rate. Regardless, I wouldn't do any tampering with the USPS's box. When I was in paramedic school, one of my classmates had a previous felony conviction for arson. He was on a volunteer fire department, you see, and some felt they weren't running enough calls. A few of them started setting fires so they could run calls. All well and good until he set the post office on fire. You don't mess with the federal gov't.

I think the rates are good for the flat rate boxes. I don't see where you will see a big dfference.4 years ago I took (1) 8 ounce candle to the PO and asked what it would be to mail.The cost was almost $4.00 for 1 candle. Yesterday I mailed 6 candles and 12 packs of tarts and it cost $9.80 for the small flat rate.I think that is good considering what 1 candle would have cost 4 years ago with regular mail.

I use priority envelopes from PO.They are FREE and to mail 10 packs of tarts it was $4.50. Getting these envelopes and boxes FREE is a plus.

I did ask what the larger flat rate box went up to and it is still the same cost($12.95):yay:

LynnS

V, just take the box, turn it inside out, and retape. It's going to family, not a customer and it's recycling. As for taping over logos, etc., THEN checking the PO, waste of time IMO. (Sorry, I will only assume that this post will be followed up with even bigger writing in the future).

Flat rate boxes REQUIRE flat rate pricing. Flat rate goes priority, so it also says that on the box.

And no, you cannot just cover it over. Geesh.

OS, yes, by all means, ask the PO if you can just block it out. If not, use all the above measures, ROFLMAO

You may be able to still use the flat rate box if you cover up where it says flat rate, but I'd contact the post office first.

I guess it wasn't big enough for you to read the first time!

Well, I guess you can't read either!!

Flat rate boxes REQUIRE flat rate pricing. Flat rate goes priority, so it also says that on the box.

And no, you cannot just cover it over. Geesh.

You CANNOT, I repeat, just as CB said... CANNOT just "cover" up the flat rate logo. It's considered tampering with government property. Yes it's lame, but I've already studied this. Since the boxes are free, the PO gets pretty PO'ed when you use a box in this manner. The boxes are configured into the pricing of a flat rate item.

Just like CareBear said.

V, just take the box, turn it inside out, and retape.

I wouldn't do that either...alot of people on Ebay were getting in trouble for doing that. I realize they probably were not going to pay Priority, but it is still not being used for what it was intended.

I picked some up by mistake once - when I went to mail a package, I just wanted to pay Priority - not the Flat Rate. Guy at the PO told me I had to repack it in a Priority box - would not cover up the flat rate info. Unfortunately, this package was going to Italy for Christmas...not time to drag it home to repack..so I paid double the cost of Priority.

LOL Well I want to do this legally, so I wasn't planning on doing anything illegal suggested, if it is deemed illegal by the post office. I'm just thinking because I have a box, to recycle, that I would do it if it could be done, but it's not worth getting into trouble if it's not legal. I'll ask the post master tomorrow and post back here what the official post office response is, that I get personally. If you look on usps's site, the priority mail boxes all say priority mail, and are all free kind of supplies, so I'm sure they'll have the one I need there that has no flat rate on it. :)

Thanks Barb! Will check those out if they have them. :)

Hopefully they'll have one at the po for free when I go there so I don't have to buy one. PO is so close, would save me some gas, especially these days. ;)

Oh, whatever you do, don't turn those boxes inside out. I actually had a supplier...can't remember who it was now...that sent me some supplies in a flat rate or priority box that was turned inside out. I reused it, thinking nothing of it, and my A-HO postmaster threatened me when he saw me use the box. He actually could see a tiny bit of white on one corner of the box and immediately assumed it was a flat rate or priority box turned inside out. I didn't try to lie about it, didn't know it was an illegal thing to do, and told him I received it that way and I could peel off my address label and show him the previous label. He didn't want to hear any excuses, but he was pretty nasty to me. So if anyone wants to do that, they better wrap in in some kraft paper to cover those corners. Most clerks probably don't really care, but I have this one who acts like every dollar lost in the USPS comes out of his pocket.