Wicks that don't curl over

I've been using HTP and Simple Soy (WSP) wicks for some time now with GB464. I get good throw from them and a good mp. But the mp is not even because the wicks curl over causing the mp to be somewhat lop-sided and leaving a small amount of wax along the edge of the jar. I'm just not happy with this. Is there a wick that does NOT curl over like this, that works well in soy, and is NOT zinc? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!

I've been using HTP and Simple Soy (WSP) wicks for some time now with GB464. I get good throw from them and a good mp. But the mp is not even because the wicks curl over causing the mp to be somewhat lop-sided and leaving a small amount of wax along the edge of the jar. I'm just not happy with this. Is there a wick that does NOT curl over like this, that works well in soy, and is NOT zinc? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!

I don't know hwo will tey work but for my soy testing I bought a WU Cotton wick sample pack. They should not bend form what the site says. It seem they are made specifically to have a concentric melt pool.

Here's the link: http://www.wicksunlimited.com/wicks_unlimited_cotton_core_wicks.php

I will test them in a short time and I'll report the result if you want.

Guest LightofDawn

I use Fil-tec Ultra Core wicks in my Naturewax C3. They stand straight up and do not curl at all. I get mine at earlyamericancandle.com.

HTH

You may be changing one problem for another. I've used LX for quite a few years and sorry, but they still curl on occasion and they can mushroom also. My customers are told to keep the wick centered and if it curls slightly one way to take a paper clip and bend it slightly to counteract a lopsided burn.

I used to use hemp when I started out and hemp (or other rigid wicks) will mushroom like crazy!! They do burn great and my customers didn't mind (most of the time) trimming them more than usual because of the big honking shroons. I finally could take it no longer and switched to LX. I use square braid and flat braid in my pillars and beeswax candles and they also will curl. The wicks that curl are what makes them self-trimming. Without the curl, you aren't burning the end to self-trim and instead get mushrooming. So, you need to pick your poison, so to speak, as NO wick is perfect. :cool2:

• Thanks 1

Try twisting the wick when you set up your candle. The wax will cool, keeping it twisted, and then it will untwist as the candle is used. Rotating the cold spot and keeping your melt pool fairly even.

• 2 weeks later...

You can purchase coated wicks from wick suppliers where the coating is a high melt wax...higher than the melt point of your candle and this is supposed to help minimize the curl....the source of which is the diameter of the coil the wick is wound on when first manufactured.

i use the cotton wicks from millcreek. they do tend to muchroom, but most customers don't care. fyi i think the wu wicks stink. i had bought the largest wu wick they had & after trying it in several different size jars i did finally get a full melt pool with it in a little 4oz. 12 sided jar. they are no good if you are using gb415 soy.

i use the cotton wicks from millcreek. they do tend to muchroom, but most customers don't care. fyi i think the wu wicks stink. i had bought the largest wu wick they had & after trying it in several different size jars i did finally get a full melt pool with it in a little 4oz. 12 sided jar. they are no good if you are using gb415 soy.

now that I tried the WU cotton wicks... I can say I don't care for those.

To me LX are working fine in my soy, a little curling but not so much.

I have used cotton, HTP, and CD wicks for many years and found that all of them mushroom to one extent or the other. I have not found a wick that does NOT mushroom some. Mushrooming depends on quite a few different variables; additives; the amount of fragrances used; wax used, and the list goes on.

I now use the Ultra Core line of wicks and could not be happier. They do mushroom some, but what I have found is they have a steady burn, a steady flame, and do not fizzle out, nor produce a "small" flame like other wicks I have tried. The do NOT curl.

I use the 415 and a 9% fragrance load. I have found the 2.28 and the 2.4 are the two wicks I use the most. The harder to burn fragrances, such as Patchouli, tend to take a hotter wick. HTH

Guest LightofDawn
I now use the Ultra Core line of wicks and could not be happier.

I am really surprised that these wicks aren't more popular. I love them. I just wish more suppliers carried them.

I order my Ultra Core wicks directly from Fil-tec the manufacturer. Their minimums are 1000 per wick size. However, they are really good about sending samples to test with. Here is the information for Fil-tec:

http://www.fil-tec.com/

Ask for Greg Small, or Chip Rockwell.

There are other suppliers carrying the Ultra Core wicks, but I do not know who. Maybe someone else can jump in here to answer that question. However, if you contact Fil-tec, I am sure they will lead you in the right direction. HTH

Guest LightofDawn
no please don't tell me about new wicks LOL!!!

I'm under tons fo sampler packs already!

Who carries them??

Sorry, can't tell ya, LOL. I get mine from Early American Candle. So far that is the only place I have found to get them, but I have not looked all that hard because EAC is only about an 1 1/2 hours from me so I can get them shipped pretty quick. Maybe Realmarcha will chime in with another supplier.

Guest LightofDawn
I order my Ultra Core wicks directly from Fil-tec the manufacturer. Their minimums are 1000 per wick size. However, they are really good about sending samples to test with. Here is the information for Fil-tec:

http://www.fil-tec.com/

Ask for Greg Small, or Chip Rockwell.

There are other suppliers carrying the Ultra Core wicks, but I do not know who. Maybe someone else can jump in here to answer that question. However, if you contact Fil-tec, I am sure they will lead you in the right direction. HTH

We must have been typing at the same time. Thanks for info, I think I would be much better off ordering direct.

Guest LightofDawn
thanks to you both!

I don't know if they send samples to Italy, but I may ask.

Thanks!

If not, let me know and maybe we can figure something out.