Same song - different verse: PayPal

My SIL uses paypal for her site.

She says it works great. She has not had any problems.

I personally don't like paypal. Heard some horror stories from friends with hacking issues and money being tied up and not refunded..

I will only use Visa/MC on websites.

If a website only has Paypal as a payment method..

I will not order from them..

But this is just my opinion..

I don't have a website of my own yet. But as a customer I really like to use Paypal, and don't like the option of only being able to use my credit card for doing purchases. I actually think twice before ordering something if the Paypal feature isn't there I like the Instant transfer method of payment with them. This is just my opinion as a customer I don't know what it's like from a business perspective.

Pam F

Pam, I am with you. As a customer, I like to pay straight out of my bank account with PayPal. This is because I try (often in vain) to keep my credit card balance down.

At this time, I offer Mastercard, Visa and PayPal. Even with these different payment options, I would have to say that the majority of my customers have been using PayPal.

Islandgirl, I have not experienced the problems you mention, but it certainly gives me something to think about. Thanks for your input.

I don't have options, but no one has a problem with using PayPal since it takes all major credit cards.

I've not had any problems with them whatsoever and I've been a member with PayPal for 6 years.

I think because of the mass amounts of people who DO use PayPal and horror stories stick out, people think it's a large scale thing, but considering billions of people use it everyday worldwide... I'd tend to lean on that being a minority of people, with the addition that many don't read the terms too.

you'll get opinions both ways, so you really just have to go with whatever you're comfortable with and what's best for your business! We have customers that will specifically NOT pay with Pay Pal, and years ago when that's all we used, they would call or email and ask if they could pay another way. For those that are familiar with PP, it's no big deal at all, and they love and probably prefer it. But for somebody who is just a shopper, they don't know what PP is ~ they just want to type in their CC number and be done.

The only way to really know is to try it. If you get unfinished orders showing up and/or questions about paying a different way, you'll know Pay Pal is holding you back.

PayPal allows that type of set up, that once you click checkout, you can set the paypal page up to look like yours and it just takes the credit card. Some don't even realize they have been moved to PayPal and once the order is finished, it redirects back to my site.

if that's so, then that's GREAT! The Pay Pal of years ago required hoops most customers weren't willing to go through and I just decided it wasn't worth the hassle. I still accept Pay Pal, just also have a merchant service for Visa/MC. I never did set up with Disc. & AmEx though, so those are forced through PP if elected, and still Visa/MC gets selected many, many, times over the other 3 combined.

PayPal now allows, even if you don't set up the page to use IPN and the customers don't need a PayPal account at all. Just on the first page they enter the info.

It's only a few minor tweaks in a site code which is really easy to insert, and two settings inside your PayPal account (to return back home).

We use paypal and have had nothing but good luck with them. We use the option that people don't need to have a paypal account, they can just pay with their cc like they normally would. I have been asked about it, but normally it's because people are now more trusting of paypal than other methods.

It's only a few minor tweaks in a site code which is really easy to insert, and two settings inside your PayPal account (to return back home).

Miss Mary, do you need to have the website payments pro to do this? Or will it work with the website payments standard ?

In the past year I have rarely used my CC online. I prefer to use paypal. It's just easier than having to go dig out my CC and then worry about my account number being stolen. Paypal simply adds another step of protection when you are the buyer. The only issues we have had is as a seller. The reversals and holding money during disputes is a PITA but a necessary evil I suppose. Other than that we have had no issues with using just paypal on my husbands website.

Miss Mary, do you need to have the website payments pro to do this? Or will it work with the website payments standard ?

Hey, I have just standard, but I also have the business account (that's free, just apply, no biggie).

Under profile, go to website payment preferences. From there, you can put in whether PayPal account is optional, auto return to your site, or even to a specific page, like their account.

Pretty much all the details you could want are there on the right column of selling preferences.

As for the coding needed to take PayPal payments, it depends on the cart. I use OsCommerce and it was a simple mod install.

Thanks, MissMary, it looks like I am on the right track.

For the auto return, did you just have it go back to your home page? It said the page it went to needed to have verbiage stating the transaction has been completed and payment received. So it would seem I need to create a new page with this message?

Did you also manage to have your logo appear on the payment page? It said it was recommended for the logo to start with https otherwise the user will see a warning message about unsecure items on the page. My logo only has http not https and I didn't want the warning, so in the end I couldn't use the logo. It just prints the store name at the top which is in a different font and color and doesn't match my site's look. As for the colors, I couldn't really get that to work either, for it only does that at the top, so the bulk of the page is still not the right color. Am I doing something wrong, or is there no way around this?

Yes, if you have a direct back page, you can create a new page saying items were paid for. I personally just have it back to my home page.

My logo does appear on the payment page, I have no https for the image, and haven't gotten a secure warning yet.

I don't have a lot of time at the moment to go in and look at the specifics (and it's been a bit since I've messed around in there) but when I get home, I'll get a look at it and let you know.