What tha?!? Wax prices went UP!!

I think people are more understanding than you think. When I raised prices they were. Some were even surprised I hadn't raised them earlier. They understand that everything costs more now and you can't sell at the same price. If they can't afford to give you a dollar or more each, then they really shouldn't be buying candles at this time anyway.

I think people are more understanding than you think. When I raised prices they were. Some were even surprised I hadn't raised them earlier. They understand that everything costs more now and you can't sell at the same price. If they can't afford to give you a dollar or more each, then they really shouldn't be buying candles at this time anyway.

Your analogy would be better suited to the candlemaker. If you can't afford quality product, you shouldn't be making candles.

It really doesn't apply to the buyer. Candles are not like cigarettes, whiskey, gambling, where you shouldn't be doing it if you can't take the loss. Nor are they luxury items such as cruises, diamonds, and furs. They are a comfort item that everybody loves. Whether they SHOULD buy them simply doesn't apply. The question is WILL they spend more.

Usually, sales of comfort items increase in bad financial times.

I don't doubt that they "could" afford to pay another $1 and that they will understand why the price went up. It's not that I don't think they will buy, it's what do I stock for shows to have the right size for the pocket book. Will they still buy the 16oz size or drop back to the tumbler size which is easier on the pocketbook? I believe we will all still buy luxuries but will they be smaller luxuries?

I think you hit the nail on the head with the size thing. I've never been able to sell much over 12 oz anyway, with 8 oz being my best sellers by far. That's 8 oz containers.

It used to be my 8 oz tins (which hold right at 5 oz) sold 20 to 1 over my 8 oz masons (which hold right at about 5.25 oz). My prices are $8 each, 2 for $15 on both containers. The tins are much more luxurious and sleek looking than the prim jars with their high-topped genuine zinc and rust lids (CandleSoylutions). Next to each other on the shelf, the masons look considerably larger with the big lids and chunky shape. These days, the masons are selling better than the tins. I have to wonder if it's because the masons look like they are considerably larger and people think they are getting more for their money.

The whole green thing really has me thinking. Here you have all the people lobbying for the US to go green, they say it is cheaper and will save the world! So the US is converting to green and now the "green" is extremely expensive and it jacked up the cost of everything else to boot. Where is all the money going to and why if this is such "cheap" stuff, is it costing us and raising everything else?

It's going to make the planet yellow. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Well here's my response to your question -- it's the popular thing to do ... just like skinny food as opposed to fat. Less crap in the skinny food (supposingly), but it costs significantly more. Same with the all natural stuff ... apparently less is used to make it more natural, but still costs more. So why shouldn't going green cost more too ... after all, it's like an in thing to do. Nothing wrong with going green, but it would be great to not make killing on doing something beneficial.

I don't doubt that they "could" afford to pay another $1 and that they will understand why the price went up. It's not that I don't think they will buy, it's what do I stock for shows to have the right size for the pocket book. Will they still buy the 16oz size or drop back to the tumbler size which is easier on the pocketbook? I believe we will all still buy luxuries but will they be smaller luxuries?

Well I think they'll go for smaller.

Case in point ... last weekend's show. Gas went up about a dime, but people spent. We made about 12x our booth fee and the top things that sold were the small items -- lip balms, perfume tubes, votives, bath bombs, some soaps, some larger candles (in about that order.) I'm actually still floored by it, but if all of that is comfort products, I'd say have a range. Course if you take away some of the lower-priced items, would they have spent as much? Guess we'll find out as we creep closer to the $4 a gallon mark with a show in two weeks and another two weeks after that and another about two weeks after that.

I am getting ready to raise my prices also. I sell alot of tarts and have been selling them for 6 3.50. Now there gonna be 6 4.00 and 1 1oz tart was 1.00 now will go to 1.25 each. I also make the 1oz bottle of warmer oils,8oz wickless,votives and smelly jellies. Soon I will be adding 8oz jelly jars. But it seems that no matter what I make people have been buying tarts like crazy more than anything else. Maybe it's a sign of whats to come with these crazy wax prices the way they are. Along with everything else that is going up. Regina

Without really thinking this through, it might be wiser to use less product than raise prices. There's not much room to play with tarts and votives, but on something like a 10 oz product, do like the big coffee and cereal guys do. Pour 9.5 oz and keep the same price.

I dunno. Time will tell how many of us will be able to stay in business.

I think I will start selling my 8 oz. mason with soy wax for $9.50. I usually have them at $7.50 and sell with no problem.. The $7.50 price was a lot lower than most candle makers around here. With wax going up from $40 something to $60 something for 50 lbs., I have to raise my prices. I see 10 oz. candles going for $14.00.

Without really thinking this through, it might be wiser to use less product than raise prices. There's not much room to play with tarts and votives, but on something like a 10 oz product, do like the big coffee and cereal guys do. Pour 9.5 oz and keep the same price.

I dunno. Time will tell how many of us will be able to stay in business.

Now there's a lot of truth in that with the cereal guys. Ticks me off every time. Wouldn't know about the coffee as I don't drink it.

This is true. I want to keep the same quality candle and I always pour past the first lip in the jar. Maybe go up a dollar. I think people will understand since evverything is going up these days.

I stopped selling 16 oz. apothecary last year. I stuck with 10 ounce salsa jars and am testing 8 oz. tins. I am finding people still want to spend money on candles, but less willing on more expensive things like dinners/movies, etc.

Just something to keep in mind...

Soy has been beaten up a good bit as of late...paraffin's turn is just around the corner.

Within the last month, two major wax refiners have announced they will cease producing wax products - Citgo and Marathon. When their ability to supply is finally stopped there is going to be a significant shortfall for wax supply. Gone Citgo pounds = 178 million per year - Marathon pounds = 230 million pounds gone. Chinese imports are down 20% YTD and will not likely send enough product to make up the difference. Price is likely rise quickly there after - right in time for Christmas!

Supply will be impacted as well - keep on good terms with your supplier! Wax might be hard to come by later this year.

Now there's a lot of truth in that with the cereal guys. Ticks me off every time. Wouldn't know about the coffee as I don't drink it.

OMG- isnt that the truth..

I hate when they do that with the ice cream gallons!!! :mad:

They keep getting smaller and smaller!!!:rolleyes2

Hey Brad..

Thanks for the tip.. I already stocked up on all my wax within the past month..

I have enough now to maybe get me though 6+ months..:grin2:

So soy will be disappearing, palm will be disappearing and paraffin will be disappearing, the freakin BEES are disappearing, and the developers are making subdivisions over all the wild bayberry bushes, Greenpeace will get us if we use whale oil/spermaceti, tallow will be sky high because we can't afford to feed cattle...

What does that leave that's burnable as a candle? :confused:

We MAY all be making future collector's items and just don't know it!!:rolleyes2

One thing for sure is that nothing stays the same. Just part of adapting to the life that surrounds us and challenges us every day. Whoopee. Since I don't have a large candle business anymore, I more or less do small custom orders and make gifts I checked on bayberry plants. Hmmmmmmm.....I have nothing planted in my backyard at the moment. Thinking that I should experiment with them. They are hardy to -28 degrees. I love the fragrance of bayberry. And I am always up for experimenting. I would love to grow some plants and boil up the berries and get my own wax. Too bad I don't have the acreage I did in Virginia. That could have been a business just growing the plants........ Guess it is still the hippie in me from the olden days (smile) Donita

here's some information on bayberry

http://www.answers.com/topic/bayberry?cat=technology