Where to buy pure soy candles

I am looking for a place to buy pure unscented soy candles with cotton wicks. I'm interested mostly in container and pillar candles. We live with a couple of parrots and the fumes from burning paraffin or wicks with lead in them can kill a bird as they have very sensitive respiratory systems.

I know there are soy candles all of the internet and in some stores but I don't know how to make certain the soy wax (or candles themselves) aren't imported from China. I would like to buy candles that have ingredients from and are poured in the U.S.

I just gave up on candles for years but really miss having them. Can anyone here recommend a source to buy them?

I've read on several bird forums that people have had birds die after burning paraffin candles in the room where the birds were. It could have been the scent in the candle that killed them or something else. You can Google the subject and come up with all kinds of articles. I suppose it could be untrue but I'm not willing to take the chance.

But since paraffin is a petroleum based product I think I'd rather use soy candles anyway. Maybe I should read up here and pour them myself. But these things always lead to needing a lot of supplies and I'm a great "starter" of projects that seem to get half done and then I lose interest or can't find the time. I have a whole closet full of half-done projects. I think I like buying all the supplies more than I do actually following through. *sigh*

Doesn't anyone here that makes soy candles sell them?

With birds it not what the candle is made as far as the wax. Birds do not handle fragrance well either in fragrance oil or essential oil.

What most likely caused the birds the most problem is zinc wicks. Birds have no way of getting rid of it and it builds up in their systems and becomes toxic.

The best advice for bird people is just do not burn candles in the same room as the birds and keep your fragrance level low in other products.

I can and will make you unscented soy candles with cotton wicks.

I would do this for you as well. I can't tell from your profile where you live. Obviously it would make sense to order from someone who lives close to you to avoid shipping costs. and someone here HAS to live close to you!

I also live with a parrot (Green Wing Macaw) and make and sale soy blend (70% soy and 30% paraffin) and also soy candles.

I have had him 17 years and he lives in a house where candles are burned all day long and I make them in my kitchen (he is in another room when I am pouring) but I do bring him into rooms where candles are burning. These are all scented candles.

His cage is in a separate bedroom that I don't burn candles in but he is out in the rest of the house on his play-stand during the day.

Never been sick or even had a cold. Maybe I have just been lucky for the past 17 years but candles have yet to cause him any problems.

Did just lose my white dove :cry2: , I had him for 32 years (doves natural life span is about 9-11 years). Also always around burning scented candles. I work for my vet and he didn't think it was possible for a dove to live that long.

Maybe if I hadn't had him around all those candles he would have lived to be 50. ;)

I've read on several bird forums that people have had birds die after burning paraffin candles in the room where the birds were. It could have been the scent in the candle that killed them or something else. You can Google the subject and come up with all kinds of articles. I suppose it could be untrue but I'm not willing to take the chance.

But since paraffin is a petroleum based product I think I'd rather use soy candles anyway. Maybe I should read up here and pour them myself. But these things always lead to needing a lot of supplies and I'm a great "starter" of projects that seem to get half done and then I lose interest or can't find the time. I have a whole closet full of half-done projects. I think I like buying all the supplies more than I do actually following through. *sigh*

Doesn't anyone here that makes soy candles sell them?

Hey, you can buy MY supplies and I'll make all the stuff! I'd be happy to make candles for you but I'm over on the other side of the continent so it wouldn't be cost-effective. :D I do have a question, however---what's the point of a candle without fragrance?

Hey, you can buy MY supplies and I'll make all the stuff! I'd be happy to make candles for you but I'm over on the other side of the continent so it wouldn't be cost-effective. :D I do have a question, however---what's the point of a candle without fragrance?

I also enjoy the soft flicker of light that a candle gives off. very soothing and it sets a nice mood.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for all the responses. I've found some good sources for ordering the unscented soy candles and can always use more for unusual sizes and shapes.

I'm getting to the point where I'm buying unscented laundry detergents and other cleaners. I think at some point I get to a "fragrance overload". It's nice to smell fresh air for a change.

I love the look of burning candles. It's never really been about the scent. It's more about "romantic lighting" in a room.

I think most of us here sell candles. As to "pure soy", I have mixed feelings about this wording but to each their own. We use C3 in ours. Glad you found a source for your candles that you're happy with!

I heard that at a bird show one time. I made candles in my kitchen for years with my birds on my shoulders. I hadn't heard that at that time. I also had birds in my candle store. BUT, I never lite a candle. It was all the fragrance without a wick. So I am with Vickie on that one. It must be the wick, or the zinc in the wick. I know that I have lite candles in my house with no problem. But they are never close to the birds. Just in the same huge room. I do use the zinc wicks. Carol K on this board would probably be glad to make you some straight soy candles. You might ask for her. I know she is very picky about her product and uses only cotton wicks. I would trust her. Hope this helps.

I had a parrotlet die from a zinc twist tie, didn't know it was made of zinc. :cry2: I have a macaw and burn candles but not in the same room. but I've known breeders who burn unscented in the same room. They do have sensitive respiratory systems but not as bad as some people believe. I was told not to use fabreeze around any pets and I'm careful about cleaners in the bird room. ;)

I've learned from other bird owners that it can take a long time for symptoms of damage to a bird's respiratory system to show up. Air sac carcinoma can develop over many years time and it's difficult to know without CT scans that it's there, and even then, if it's too small to see it won't show up. Zinc poisoning also is a cumulative thing.

I would rather not take the chance. I do everything I can to protect my pets.