Simmering granules

lilfairylover

What do you mean, you think SFBSC is different than others? Or are you talking any salt for scented granules? I know the ones I have made do not melt in the oil. I've noticed the scents stays true and doesn't take on a different note after being heated for days. I want to keep this turned on adding scent when needed just to see if it ever goes bad. I have Chanel #5 in the bathroom plug-in and loving it.

I'm talking a bowl of salt on a humid day can pull water out of the air creating a salty sludge. Only when it's really humid.

no, salt wouldn't dissolve in oil - only in water. But do you add the salt to oil? I was just thinking to use the scented salt dry in the melter.

how are you guys using this stuff? in oil or "dry"?

I put my salt in a dish, add the FO and color to it. stir till it's all mixed in well and wait for it to dry. :) it's really easy, you want to try some Carebear? i'll send you a sample of the ones i have made..

I have only made this with table salt cause I don't have any thing else. I did buy larger salt crystals but it didn't hold the FO. I put 8 oz of salt in a jar added 1/2 oz of FO and mixed/shook and let set a few days. This solution stayed moist but I went ahead and put in my plug-in warmer from Scentsy. I have added a few drops of additional FO to re scent the salt. It is very lite but this warmer is not strong with any tart I have used. I'm using Chanel #5 from JC but as soon as I get my other salts I'm trying a stronger scent. I just love perfume scents in the bath room.

I haven't on the board in a long time & I was reading over this thread. I tried making up some of this today using Epsom Salts. I used 8 ounces of salts & 1 ounce of fo. I stuck them in the oven on a very low heat for just a few minutes. They dried up rather quickly after taking them out of the oven.

I have some on a burner in my bathroom right now & the scent is great. I used Smoke & Odor Eliminator because I'm a smoker. I'm going to move it to a larger room & see how well it will scent a larger room.

Just thought you would like to know the Epsom Salts work too.

I haven't on the board in a long time & I was reading over this thread. I tried making up some of this today using Epsom Salts. I used 8 ounces of salts & 1 ounce of fo. I stuck them in the oven on a very low heat for just a few minutes. They dried up rather quickly after taking them out of the oven.

I have some on a burner in my bathroom right now & the scent is great. I used Smoke & Odor Eliminator because I'm a smoker. I'm going to move it to a larger room & see how well it will scent a larger room.

Just thought you would like to know the Epsom Salts work too.

Thanks Sandra, I have plenty of Epsom so I'll give it a try. Was wondering about Baking Soda since it is used in other scented products..

Hey Jean,

I have the ones you sent me on and they smell great. Have only had them on about 15 min and I can smell them on almost the entire level of the house.

What scent did you send me?

Glad you like them! The scent of those was Cherry blossom , I still have some of those left, they are still as strong now as when i made them.

Edited by Jean

Cause the scent lingers once you turn them off. So I stick them in a container and "hide" them until the headache goes away and the scent dies down.

But mind you, it is a good headache!!

Yikes! I'm sorry you got a headache from them :shocked2:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the offer, Jean. But I was getting confused because I thought I read that someone was taking the fragranced salt grains and then putting them in a carrier oil in the warmer... but now looking back it seems I read that all wrong.

the only warmer I have these days are the nifty top[down ones. so I'll make some and give it a try.

well, I added 1/4 oz FO to 1/2 cup fine table salt (plus 1 drop candle colorant) and mixed well. the color was helpful so that I could tell it was well mixed.

it looks very much like the stuff in these http://www.candlewarmers.com/ProductDetail.aspx?cat=64. it was pretty much dry immediately - fluffy and all.

worked GREAT with my top-down warmer: http://www.candlewarmers.com/ProductDetail.aspx?cat=5. Very strong. I could probably use less fragrance, and I imagine that instructing folks to just put the lid back on and shake it to refresh would work great for AGES - but then you might not sell many if it lasts forever ;)

I have it on a cheap-o warmer now. http://www.amazon.com/The-Original-Candle-Warmer-White/dp/B001KUN1WS We'll see how the bottom-up warmer works for the jar. I don't like the warmer -takes too long to get going.

Might also try putting a teaspoon in a dish on the warmer but I don't like to have to fuss...

(ETA: 1/2 cup salt fills 2 4 oz quilted jelly jars with room for shaking)

Edited by CareBear

I've been following this thread since the beginning and my question is how much would you sell them for? I know it would depend on what you packaged them in but honestly what are they selling for?

I was going to wait till my candle room is done but since I have some table salt and epsom salt I might as well play around with it.

• 5 years later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi I’m new to this could someone please tell me what is the best to use to make shimmering granules I’ve been seeing you can use dishwasher salt granules or course sea salt what’s the best and the safest way to make these especially to sell on and if any body has a good recommendation for fragrance wholesale thank you Tina x

Edited by Tina thompson

• 9 months later...
On 1/5/2010 at 7:30 PM, LeahRB said:

I tried it and it worked! I just used coarse sea salt and added a little fragrance and let it dry. It made my house smell really good.

Thanks for the thread on this.:smiley2:

I was told to use a teaspoon of coarse salt: didn't specify if it was sea salt, pink salt, Himalayan, etc. My friend who does this buys a bag of coarse salt in a little white cotton "bulk"-type bag with an elephant on it.......at Walmart in the baking aisle near the more ethnic seasonings. So she uses a measuring teaspoon of salt, (in the dish of an element-type wax melt warmer (the kind where the dish sits on a heating surface: NO LIGHT BULBS! She then adds oil (she got dropper caps for her FOs) and basically puts about 10-12 drops randomly over the salt. It's NOT saturated; doesn't need to be. Turn on warmer and OMG OMG OMG! It's amazing.

She used to use exclusively a water softener salt because she heard from them (who the heck is them?? She's not in this group!) that its very coarse grain with no additives and to be honest: I don't know why she changed to that Walmart Indian coarse salt. I think the throw was far better with the salt she'd used for well over a year. I'm obviously not at her house to sniff all the scents she uses but as a purely wax melt user, I am going to try the salt (link below) because it wowed me enough to want to try this!

Please add updates if you find this revived link and let's compare!!!! I am about to buy a bag of the following: in my opinion it blew away my wax melts -and- it's not a 25lb+ bag....and nothing is better than a referral (ME!) from someone who's experienced it. More $$$??? Yes. But I don't need 25lbs of anything except for white chocolate!

Oh one more thing: I was told that whatever salt you use, add 6 drops of Safflower oil *if* you're planning on using a wax melt warmer. It has an extremely high burn temp and supposedly helps extend the FO's throw while being basically cooked! My friend doesn't do this step

Salt link below. I have to run but I will do a wax melt warmer recommendation /review if anyone is curious. My experience is solely based on retail scented wax melts but between me and my Co-Admin...and her website https://www.waxmeltreviews.com/  we have tested more warmers (and wax melts!) than anyone knew existed!!!

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y5HZW27/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've used many different salts with equally good results.

solar salt ($6 for 50lbs) which comes in many grain sizes within different bags. 

Kosher salt has a pretty grain.

Pickling salt is tiny fine grains like beach sand.

Sea Salt is pretty.

Never seemed to need anything but FO and optional color to make them perform perfectly 😃

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...