Simmering granules

lilfairylover

1 hour ago, angielynfox said:

I have tried this with coarse sea salt and some other salt, I believe it was for a water softener and I didn't get great results. Not as good as wax at all. What could I have done wrong? It's been about a year since I tried... I'm bored :) Give me a reason to try again lol

is the performance the strength of throw or longevity? 

In either case it Could be the temp of the wax warmer.

Or could be you need to use proportionately more fragrance.  A wax melt is often 10% fragrance (I read more sometimes yikes). So if a melt is 1 oz, that would be 0.1 oz of fragrance.  In metric a 30 gram wax cube would have 3 grams of fragrance.  You could try that and see if the performance improves. The salt may feel wet, but that should not matter as far as safety in a regular warmer. 

If the fragrance is still too heavy you could try adding a glycol like DPG, or an ether type of product like what you could get a gemlite . Or simply liquid coconut oil or mineral oil. All of those should lift heavier fragrance particles and throw them farther

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

is the performance the strength of throw or longevity? 

In either case it Could be the temp of the wax warmer.

Or could be you need to use proportionately more fragrance.  A wax melt is often 10% fragrance (I read more sometimes yikes). So if a melt is 1 oz, that would be 0.1 oz of fragrance.  In metric a 30 gram wax cube would have 3 grams of fragrance.  You could try that and see if the performance improves. The salt may feel wet, but that should not matter as far as safety in a regular warmer. 

For me it was longevity, it worked great, just not at long as my wax. And not really sure how to fix that issue. Also I didn't like how wet the salt was. Yuck. Maybe I'll give it another try. I wish the salt would absorb the FO more. Maybe I didn't let it set long enough. I was kinda rushy lol trying to see if it worked. Maybe I need more patience. But as for longevity, I really don't have any ideas other than to add more FO.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I’m new and wanting to start making my own sizzlers and have been looking through your posts but can’t quite work out how do this? Can someone point me in the right direction of everything I need and to do this? 

37 minutes ago, Clair said:

Hi, I’m new and wanting to start making my own sizzlers and have been looking through your posts but can’t quite work out how do this? Can someone point me in the right direction of everything I need and to do this? 

Hello and welcome!

do you have a link for an example “sizzler” product?

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Hi im currently using coarse sea salt with fragrance oil and colouring it with food colouring they didn't dry properly but I popped some in the burner anyway and they smell lovely but they all just stuck together and went really hard is this because it wasn't dry properly does anyone know this is my first attempt ?? 

6 hours ago, Jade b said:

Hi im currently using coarse sea salt with fragrance oil and colouring it with food colouring they didn't dry properly but I popped some in the burner anyway and they smell lovely but they all just stuck together and went really hard is this because it wasn't dry properly does anyone know this is my first attempt ?? 

Could be that the liquid in the food coloring caused some to melt?

I use mica powders and occasionally liquid candle colors.

if you try again, with no color, we can eliminate a variable and get to the answer 🤗

I would eliminate any food coloring liquid. You should be fine with micas and oils. Liquid food coloring is going to make salt damp unless you dry it out. Yes and you didn’t dry out so the salts dried out in burner. Now if you dried them low temp in oven or with oven light, you could break them up when dry.

With ever addition or removal expect changes. That’s part of research and development. If xx doesn’t work try xxx until you refine what you do

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 10/27/2020 at 1:32 PM, TallTayl said:

I've used many different salts with equally good results.

solar salt ($6 for 50lbs) which comes in many grain sizes within different bags. 

Kosher salt has a pretty grain.

Pickling salt is tiny fine grains like beach sand.

Sea Salt is pretty.

Never seemed to need anything but FO and optional color to make them perform perfectly 😃

Hi TallTayl! I know you’re a stickler for safety and I appreciate that so much so I’ll ask you this. It may have been mentioned in here but I’m seeing different things. Are these salts safe for the warmer just FO and micas? I am thinking so but always want to be sure. I know they’re fine just as a potpourri. I think I may take a break from candle frustrations and work on something easier. TIA! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brotato said:

Hi TallTayl! I know you’re a stickler for safety and I appreciate that so much so I’ll ask you this. It may have been mentioned in here but I’m seeing different things. Are these salts safe for the warmer just FO and micas? I am thinking so but always want to be sure. I know they’re fine just as a potpourri. I think I may take a break from candle frustrations and work on something easier. TIA! 

Safe as in flammability? If so, salt has a melt point off>1,400*F, which is many times higher than fragrances,  oils and waxes. 

Candles colorants and most micas should also do fine. The temp of the melter is generally not as high as a flame. 

one of the big scent companies SLS colored, scented salt crystals in a zipper plastic pouch. Glade maybe? I can’t recall at the moment… they didn’t go over well, probably because people could not smell them through the thick packaging. 

I truly  appreciate people who value customer safety 🤗

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Safe as in flammability? If so, salt has a melt point off>1,400*F, which is many times higher than fragrances,  oils and waxes. 

Candles colorants and most micas should also do fine. The temp of the melter is generally not as high as a flame. 

one of the big scent companies SLS colored, scented salt crystals in a zipper plastic pouch. Glade maybe? I can’t recall at the moment… they didn’t go over well, probably because people could not smell them through the thick packaging. 

I truly  appreciate people who value customer safety 🤗

Thank you! That makes perfect sense now that you say it. I was reading through some old threads about oil warmers and seeing people worried about smoking or steam? And I wasn't sure if it translated into the salt. It makes sense though since the FO is essentially absorbed into it? I'm going to the store today and may have to grab a bag to play with! I'm intrigued by this idea. It's been a very l long couple of weeks with some family things going on and I am very interested it something easy and rewarding :) I think these will look beautiful and make great gifts for Christmas. I'm also thinking of ditching jelly jars since I am struggling to wick it with soy. I should have just gone straight sided. Anyway, I have a few and I think these salts would look really pretty in them :) Thanks again for your advice!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...