ATTN M&P'ers: Your ideas & input wanted!!

beau's mama

So, is there gonna be a class on this? I'm not really a cpbs, cphp and um LS snob ya know:laugh2: :laugh2: and I love a challenge. But, I'm really cheap and want to make just one bar of gorgeous, super moisturizing, long lasting soap with silk and shea butter:smiley2: let me know when the classes start.

Umph, yeah right! :P

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL. Thanks for the generosity!

I will give that method a try. I've tried OO to harden my soaps and it does seem to help. Someone also mentioned Castor oil. I'm such a nervous nelly when it comes to experimenting with recipes. I need to get over it and just let myself go crazy. I'm afraid I might like it and never be able to go back! How will that affect the kids if there mommy lets loose and goes wild with soap! Oh the horrors on the innocent family. I can see the news stories now. *super banana*

Breaking news: "Woman goes wild and family watches in shame!" :eek:

No need to be nervous w/ your M&P. It's extremely forgiving. And yep, you will become addicted and nope, you'll never go back.

Now go suspend something in a base that you've added 15 oils & butters to :shocked2: and post some pics!

I've been making and selling M&P soap for a couple of years now and absolutely love it and the versatility of it.

One thing I haven't tried is adding silk fibers and/or clay. I assume this can be done. I do know you can add different clays but I don't know very much about them or their qualities, etc.

I would also be interested in spa & herbal type recipes for M&P. I am ashamed I have not tried very many herbs and I have only dabbled in a few EOs. What I am driving at is I don't know a lot about what herbs or EOs are for and what, why, and how certain herbs, EOs, or blends are good for the skin.

Come to think of it an 'herbology' or 'essential oils' tutorial would be something I would LOVE to see on this board.

As far as the fingerprints' date=' have you tried wiping them w/ a soft cloth or giving them a quick rinse under cold water? I only use LS white, but I still get a faint fingerprint, although no one seems to see it except for me LOL. That base isn't as shiny as the others, so I'm not sure it would work for ya' but it's worth a shot.[/quote']

I haven't tried a rinse under cold water, but I have tried spritzing with alcohol and wiping with a soft cloth. Neither did anything. I use a goat's milk base. I think it's because I use a slab mold with dividers and they usually have to be "pushed" out manually because the soap kind of sticks to the dividers.

I've been making and selling M&P soap for a couple of years now and absolutely love it and the versatility of it.

One thing I haven't tried is adding silk fibers and/or clay. I assume this can be done. I do know you can add different clays but I don't know very much about them or their qualities, etc.

I would also be interested in spa & herbal type recipes for M&P. I am ashamed I have not tried very many herbs and I have only dabbled in a few EOs. What I am driving at is I don't know a lot about what herbs or EOs are for and what, why, and how certain herbs, EOs, or blends are good for the skin.

Come to think of it an 'herbology' or 'essential oils' tutorial would be something I would LOVE to see on this board.

Clays are great! I've used Kaolin white & rose, bentonite, & fullers earth. A very sweet person just gave me some red moraccon (sp?) clay so that will be the next thing to play w/ on my list.

I haven't dabbled w/ many EO's beyond the usual Tea Tree, lavander, etc.

There's a wealth of info all over the net about clays & eo's. Mountain Rose Herbs has great info.

You really have to know your stuff regarding the EO's. Some are not good for pg women & people with epilepsy. Some are photosensitizing.

Get to Googling woman! Researching can be a pita , but it's worth it ...it'll only make you so much better at your craft!

Hey there M&P'ers...they buried us! :eek: We can't let that happen :D

Your ideas have been heard, and I've got a feeling there'll be a couple of fun things happening on CT for us :bliss:

While the fun stuff is brewing, here's a chance to have some (experimental) fun while we wait.

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69599

Old & new, young & old...all are welcome.

PM me w/ any questions

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to see how if it's possible or certain adds that allow me to paint the mold first, then pour in the soap. Then unmold it and the paint is attached to the soap, so I don't have to worry about trying to not mess up, I can wipe a mold, but not the soap for some of the smaller stuff.

As for the lather adds: yeah, there's a lot of stuff to search it out, but more often than not, the current search yields nothing of use hardly. A lot of it seems to bring up classy's. I think instead of just listing them out, a better proposal would be what goes with what.

Like Goat's Milk you can add X ingredient but for Shea, Y is better to make more bubbles!

Umm.. how about a 70's psychadelic bar? Something that swirls from the middle out in a circle... like a hypnotizing swirl?

Soap carving maybe?

Great thread!!! Making textured tops would be nice and also how to keep the embeds from bleeding...or two-toned soaps from bleeding into each layer. I'm currently trying to find a better colorant that won't bleed with M&P but haven't had much luck with responses.

I'd love to see how if it's possible or certain adds that allow me to paint the mold first, then pour in the soap. Then unmold it and the paint is attached to the soap, so I don't have to worry about trying to not mess up, I can wipe a mold, but not the soap for some of the smaller stuff.

As for the lather adds: yeah, there's a lot of stuff to search it out, but more often than not, the current search yields nothing of use hardly. A lot of it seems to bring up classy's. I think instead of just listing them out, a better proposal would be what goes with what.

Like Goat's Milk you can add X ingredient but for Shea, Y is better to make more bubbles!

Umm.. how about a 70's psychadelic bar? Something that swirls from the middle out in a circle... like a hypnotizing swirl?

Soap carving maybe?

Well, Hun, that'll get 'cha about 500 answers explained 600 different ways LOL. Everyone has a "perfect combination" that works for them. You can make as small as (1) 4oz bar to test combos to keep from wasting ingredients.

I've looked at those carving kits at WSP and I had some soap paint somewhere around here. I'm not patient enough or artistic enough to fool with them. I can make shapes/carvings from a stencil, though :D

Hmmm, the hypnotizing swirl...I have a sudden urge to listen to "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" :laugh2:

I've added clay before.

The red clay for me no matter how little I added always made the bubbles red and left a tint on my skin....washed off easy enough, blended well but I didn't care for it and the bubbles went way down.

Did make the soap a nice rich red in color that really looked nice when using a soap mold with a design on it but.....

I didn't bother with the other kinds cause of the bubble factor.

I just got some sea kelp powder from Snowdrift Farms and was gonna try that next.

I would like to see a video tutorial of a really good swirl technique. I've read all the instrucitons I can find, and I have had some success, just trying different things, but a tried and true technique would be great. Also video demonstrations of pouring layers, showing the thickness of the soap at different stages and when to pour, etc. This would be really helpful to newbies without much experience. Once you do it awhile, you figure it out, but it would have been helpful to me in the beginning.

I think the base you use makes all the difference, the SFIC is the best IMO. My soaps always turn out great, I add a dab of liquid soap to up the lather, one TBSP/pp of an oil mixture called Africas best herbal oil, then other things like herbs, oatmeal, honey, aloe, cocoa butter. I have found this general recipe turns out a bar that is hard, with a rich creamy thick lather. I don't follow any recipes, I make each batch with the same basic ing, and customize each one as I go. I have never had a problem in getting layers to stick, as long as the bottom layer is still somewhat warm and spritzed with alcohol. Let's see some pics in the gallery of some MP creations!

I've added clay before.

The red clay for me no matter how little I added always made the bubbles red and left a tint on my skin....washed off easy enough, blended well but I didn't care for it and the bubbles went way down.

Did make the soap a nice rich red in color that really looked nice when using a soap mold with a design on it but.....

I didn't bother with the other kinds cause of the bubble factor.

I just got some sea kelp powder from Snowdrift Farms and was gonna try that next.

I've never used sea kelp powder. Does it have a smell?

I would like to see a video tutorial of a really good swirl technique. I've read all the instrucitons I can find, and I have had some success, just trying different things, but a tried and true technique would be great. Also video demonstrations of pouring layers, showing the thickness of the soap at different stages and when to pour, etc. This would be really helpful to newbies without much experience. Once you do it awhile, you figure it out, but it would have been helpful to me in the beginning.

I think the base you use makes all the difference, the SFIC is the best IMO. My soaps always turn out great, I add a dab of liquid soap to up the lather, one TBSP/pp of an oil mixture called Africas best herbal oil, then other things like herbs, oatmeal, honey, aloe, cocoa butter. I have found this general recipe turns out a bar that is hard, with a rich creamy thick lather. I don't follow any recipes, I make each batch with the same basic ing, and customize each one as I go. I have never had a problem in getting layers to stick, as long as the bottom layer is still somewhat warm and spritzed with alcohol. Let's see some pics in the gallery of some MP creations!

Hey tamtam:wave: Where ya' been?

I've never used sea kelp powder. Does it have a smell?

yep...it has a salty alfalfa smell but that taking a whiff from a 8oz container. I don't find it strong just there....

I haven't tried it in the soap yet but my guess is that there either won't be a smell or it will be easily covered up.

I'd like to know how to successfully embed a photo into clear soap :D

I've tried loads of different ideas with M&P, only been doing it a couple of months now, I'm always up for new ideas.

Of course, that elusive swirl would be great to master.

btw, whipped M&P, thats all I do, literally whip it and dollop it on

• 3 weeks later...