Mold Release?

I am making unscented votives for my son's wedding. I know the last time we made unscented votives it was very difficult to remove them from the molds. I am going to try mold relase spray, but wanted to know if any are better than others. We normally order scents and wax from JS, Peaks, C&S, BC and Cajun.

Does it really matter who I purchase from? Any difference between one or the other?

Thanks so much for your help!

Jane

I've tried adding mineral oil to the wax to replace the FO. It does help the release some. With votives being flared it should work decent. It doesn't quite help enough with a straight sided pillar :undecided

Ummm...

I am making unscented votives for my son's wedding.

We normally order scents and wax from JS, Peaks, C&S, BC and Cajun.

Does it really matter who I purchase from?

Why would it matter if they're unscented? :confused:

Why would it matter if they're unscented? :confused:

My GUESS is that the FO makes it a little "greasier" and helps it release. Occasionally, we have a votive that doesn't want to release, but when we did the unscented, they ALL needed to be "thrown around"!! :laugh2:

Thanks, all, for the advice...much appreciated!

Jane

I use a mold release powder I get from Candlewic - I don't know if any other company sells it. Usually about 1 tsp/5-6 #'s is sufficient.

I also use mold release powder. Candlewic has discontinued it, along with BCN. Candle and Supplies did have it but do not see it on their site.

I use paraffin wax and have found that adding 2 Tablespoons of Crisco to 8 pounds of wax works great. (Got the Crisco in a 6 lb. can at Sam's)

Silicon spray, wipe out and use. Usually don't have to do this every time - just wipe between.:)

Me too........just once in awhile and cooking spray in between. Put them in the refrigerator for 5 minutes. (after they are completely cool). They should slide out without any added oil. I do use stearic acid in most of my candles too. I have made many many unscented candles and never had a problem. Low melt point waxes tend to cause problems too. I use a mp of around 142 for votives. Isn't it just a mystery of how there could be so many questions about simple candles. I don't think anyone will ever figure it out. There are so many variables. When things work out it is so exciting but when a stupid candle just won't release from the mold it can drive you insane. (smile) Donita

Stella1952, where do you purchase the silicon spray?

Since I want to test this within the next day or two, I think I will try the items I can purchase rather than order. I do want to look into the mold release powder, since it may help us with all of our other votives and, hopefully, pillars (when we actually get brave enough to MAKE a pillar:rolleyes2 )

My GUESS is that the FO makes it a little "greasier" and helps it release. Occasionally, we have a votive that doesn't want to release, but when we did the unscented, they ALL needed to be "thrown around"!! :laugh2:

Thanks, all, for the advice...much appreciated!

Jane

Yes, whether or not you useFO does make a BIG difference in how easy it releases...

My question was Why does it matter which supplier you buy the FO from for unscented candles ... LOL

Stella1952, where do you purchase the silicon spray?

Seems like I got it at a building supply place. Be sure to completely wipe it out of the corners of the mold or it will pool and cause unplanned things to occur. I simply use silicon because I have it around 'cause it works as a mold release for many things. Also helps drawers to slide more freely. If I had Pam, I would use it, but I don't use cooking sprays. I dunno what wax you are using... if you are using veggie wax, Pam would do as well if not better. If you are using palm wax, be sure to use palm stearic acid to assist with release. I often forget to lubricate the mold and palm releases for me like a champ even without release.

when we actually get brave enough to MAKE a pillar:rolleyes2

Pillars aren't rocket science! I find them just as easy as containers. There are things that one has to watch out for, same as with containers - just different. EVERYTHING has SOMETHING about it that's aggravating...

What's the worst thing that could happen? ;)

CandleScience sells silicone mold release sprays. Genwax sells kemamide mold release additive. Your choice of wax and additives can make all the difference. Find the right combo and you may not need anything special for mold release.

I've been assuming we're talking about paraffin candles. I don't know whether the kemamide works with veggie waxes.

Yes, whether or not you useFO does make a BIG difference in how easy it releases...

My question was Why does it matter which supplier you buy the FO from for unscented candles ... LOL

I listed the places we buy from so I didn't have to add yet ANOTHER supplier to my list...LOL Thought it would be easier to just add the mold release oo my next order to one of our regular suppliers. :wink2:

These would be for paraffin votives.

Stella1952 - Now that we have jars and votives down, pillars are next. I always get a bit nervous when I tread into unknown territory. Except for reading about them, I have yet to actually pour one. I think we are going to stick with paraffin at this point - although I love looking at the palm pillars that people post!

Top, thanks for the info.

Jane

I find that popping votives into the freezer does the trick every time. Sometimes you have to be patient. I even put them in big ziploc bags to minimize any concern about moisture. They are a little trickier than pillars because they dont have the wick hole to allow air under the candle.

I have also found that adding a small amount of palm pillar wax to paraffin pillar aids greatly in release. I am talking a tablespoon or so for a 3" X 9" pillar.

It does nothing for that lovely palm effect and I pour at the usual temp for paraffin

Strange as it sounds, I use straight Palm pillar or pillar paraffin and mould release is no problem, but if I put the 2 together in a 20% paraffin and 80% palm I have serious problems with getting the candle out of the mould even after putting in the freezer and using mould release!!!! This is a complete mystery to me:confused: