Ordering oils

Vio

Well I'm not going to fuss with no animal or organic this and that. I'm about to put in an order with Columbus soon and wanted to know if these seemed OK in conjunction with what I can get at the food store for my hard oils, like lard and coconut oil.

avocado

castor

jojoba

palm

The avocado is cheaper than the jojoba and I'm wondering if I really need the jojoba. The characteristics and values are very similar, with avocado actually being better for unsapo's in it. I'm trying to go as least expensive as possible here because budget is extremely tight right now. Any advice appreciated. :)

Really just want to go as good, cheap and hard as I can with softs here. I know palm will harden so that I have to get I realize.

IMO, I would not waste Jojoba in Soap.

The qualities will change drastically and you will not get any benefits from it as you would when rubbed directly on the skin. Avocado in soap however does make the suds more richer, so i would use that over jojoba in soap.

edit: after all, the only thing you really can get from a soap, is a rich, creamy lather that leaves you smelling good and will not irritate or leave your skin dry. If you are trying to obtain vitamin and nutrients out of oils, then you need to preserve those for use in lotions and creams.

I agree with Carrie 100%. I'd say hold off until the Babassu comes in. It is so worth it and you only need 5% for great results.

I'd suggest some PKO flakes, but CF only sells 50# boxes. You can get it from WSP. You can order it for the $6.95 flat rate shipping, $16.50 for 10# and it never goes bad.

I don't like high percentages of coconut (too drying) and use a coconut/babassu/pko combo (15/5/15) for a total of 35% bubble factor.

e

I buy my castor and high oleic sunflower spols from Columbus, but get my PKO from WSP. I am anxious to try the babassu, so I will wait until it comes in and order another jug of castor (since I used the last of it for my masterbatch last night, even had to find my small bottle from Walmart to make ends meet, LOL).

I am using the avocado for my lip balms and lotions.

Steph

You might check your prices on coconut against Soaper's Choice. For me it's cheaper to get from there than to pay $5 for 2 lbs at Wal-Mart down the road ... even with shipping included.

If you want PKO ... I have some both unflaked and flaked I could part with for you.

When will they get the babassu in? Anyone know?

My walmart coconut is $4.12 for 31.5 oz's. I think it's still cheaper for me to go to Walmart because I go there anyway to shop for something or other in the week. Lard and veggie shortening too. No shipping and gotta go anyway so I think it works for me.

Castor I need to get more than anything. I pay 2.76 in Walmart and they're the cheapest, for 6 oz's.

CF lard is cheaper but I don't feel like dealing with a huge brick of lard. LOL And I think if I buy the lard bucket now in Walmart, the price will be about the same.

I made my castile with jojoba and it didn't do anything negative to my face skin, so I was looking for something at least that or better and avocado does look to be great. Avocado is the same low or no comediogenicy and has better benefits with the unsapables, so I know I want that. Nourishing too from all I'm reading. I want the babassu too but I guess will wait or order it when it gets in if I can't wait. I just want to get some soap rolling here. With the cure time, if I have good recipes so far, won't hurt to use them until I get that babassu as well.

From all I'm seeing on pko oil vs flakes, there's not much difference except for ease of use. Does the 7 lb container from CF come in a pour bottle? Isn't it a solid?

I'm just going to drop the Jojoba and add PKO. I should have much more to work with doing those for now. Going to see if I can work out doubling the amounts so I don't have to order again too soon. :)

From all I'm seeing on pko oil vs flakes, there's not much difference except for ease of use. Does the 7 lb container from CF come in a pour bottle? Isn't it a solid?

PKO will be solid in the bottle, as will the babassu and palm. Get a couple of good buckets. Heat a pot of water on the stove and simmer the bottle of oil on low until it's all melted. Keep the heat low or the bottle can melt. Pour the oil into the bucket and it will solidify. You can then scoop it out.

Some people fill the sink with hot water and put the bottles in that to melt.

I see that you've been busy reading; good for you!

HTH,

e

Yup that book is the best thank you E!!! Forget my question in the pm, as you just answered it here. LOL I'll just do them in 7 lb and repackage it in a tupperware or tub with lid/bucket. Thank you! :)

I agree with Carrie 100%. I'd say hold off until the Babassu comes in. It is so worth it and you only need 5% for great results.

I'd suggest some PKO flakes, but CF only sells 50# boxes. You can get it from WSP. You can order it for the $6.95 flat rate shipping, $16.50 for 10# and it never goes bad.

I don't like high percentages of coconut (too drying) and use a coconut/babassu/pko combo (15/5/15) for a total of 35% bubble factor.

e

I agree, and if I recall right when the co-op was going on it was rumored that it would be in mid march so id call and ask :D

Two oils that I always make sure I have on hand are Avocado and Sweet Almond. Of course I always have Emu Oil too.

They both are super in soap. I certainly can tell the difference between a soap with it and a soap without it. :D

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to have to wait on the oils till I can afford this, and for now will just use what I have, and do my candles a little to show them some love too. LOL it will be better anyway to get the babassu then too, and anything else I'm thinking would be good. More research and thank you for the advice! :)

Vio, I hope you will also consider the Rice Bran oil. It has very similar properties to olive oil but OO is far more expesive. I have to reorder more OO and Rice Bran as well as Babassu oil.

I also have the PKO flakes and I really like them~! It looks just like you flaked soy waxs so if you order them make sure you do not get them confused!

I have to go to Walmart for more lard because thus far, AJ Goatsmilk soap is my favorite and that calls for a pound of lard in a 4# batch! Not that I've run out of the soap yet!

Fire

I get 101 oz's of regular OO for 10.99. I have to compare the prices thank you Fire! I'll look at the difference. Oh and I have to look into non-comediogenicy as well. The mostly OO bars I want to make will be facial or sensitive skin. Back to the book and hunting down info on the net! LOL Thank you! :)

Two oils that I always make sure I have on hand are Avocado and Sweet Almond. Of course I always have Emu Oil too.

They both are super in soap. I certainly can tell the difference between a soap with it and a soap without it. :D

Louise..Do you use both Avocado and Sweet Almond in the same recipe...I have been looking in to doing this..so was just wondering..I use Sweet Almond in most every recipe I make..at 10% If you use the Avocado would you want to use 10% also?

Also Vio..Remember 6 7lb. Bottles can fit into one of CF boxes..So if you can it pays to get at least 6 in that box..for shipping purposes..I think that shipping cost is about $31.00 anyway it is to me in Calif..

Gran, yes, sometimes I use both in the same recipe at 7% each (my main oil being OO). You could use 10% of each depending on what your other oils are, but be prepared to wait a little longer to unmold and cut. Avocado has a high percentage of unsaponifiables so your bars will be a bit softer. HTH

This is what was said in a earlier post..I thought I was doing a quote...

(PKO will be solid in the bottle, as will the babassu and palm. Get a couple of good buckets. Heat a pot of water on the stove and simmer the bottle of oil on low until it's all melted. Keep the heat low or the bottle can melt. Pour the oil into the bucket and it will solidify. You can then scoop it out.)

I may be showing my ignorance here...But I thought I read where Palm Oil needs to be heated and stirred each time before using...

I would really like to know for sure, as it would save me alot of time not having to do this...

I may be showing my ignorance here...But I thought I read where Palm Oil needs to be heated and stirred each time before using...

I would really like to know for sure, as it would save me alot of time not having to do this...

Not sure on that one, I have never stirred it up before. I bought some from Jeff and he had them prepared in ziplock baggies and I just scoop out what I need. It depends where you live if it is solid or mushy. Here in Texas most of my oils stay soft.

WOW I'm learning a TON from this thread- from using different oils to how many 7lbm jugs will fit in one CF box! :DGran- thanks for that info. Especially the estimated shipping, since I'm also in CA and really need to order some oils, that is really great to know.Also, on the palm, from what I understand, if you DON'T have the no stir type, you should be stirring it each time (if it gets slushy to liquidy) b/c the stearic will separate from it.HTH

Sorry for no paragraph breaks in the previos post, don't know what's going on-they were there as I typed but gone after sumitting. ??Hey Vio, where the heck do you get 101oz. OO for $10.99??? WoW I'm jealous!I am in desperate need of some soaping oils myself but money is an issue for me as well right now-sucks huh? :(I really miss my babassu, I truly hope CF gets it in soon (by april 4th).I'm super jealous of all of you that can get soaping oils locally and so cheaply-not fair! I live in such a small town they never have anything and the things we do have here are not cheap since there's no competition. :(I've never used avocado oil in soap but I LOVE it in my sugar scrub!

A chain called Market Basket up here. Everyday price for the regular grade. Nothing fancy. I use it to eat, so now I use it to soap. ;)

Yeah Michi. I just had to hand over 351.90 for heating oil out of no where. This economy is killing us. That was for 100 gallons of oil. :(

Michi...I called and talked to the main man..Can't rember his name)..He is the one that told me to order 6 bottles at a time..I just ordered yesterday..6 7lb bottles and my shipping was $32.68..

Thanks for the info on the palm oil...about stirring..

I am like you I live in a really small farming town..I don't find good deals either...

I guess with my palm I'm going to have to put it in a big flat holder thing then cut it into chunks or something, to make sure I get equal parts of anything that seperates when drying. I don't care though. For me I'll do that to save some money on the product. LOL ;)