My Latest Success

I have been dying to try out some Apothecary Jars and after much search I bought a few from hometowncandles here on the board. They got here a few days ago and I have been testing different wick sizes like crazy. I finally found one that had an awesome throw less than 8 hours from the time it was poured with EcoSoya CB Advanced. I am very happy with the results. Heres a picture that shows a few of them I poured last night. I think they are a great addition to my line and a necessary one too since the largest (and only) candle I offered was 8 ozs. Now, I have just got to get them ready to retail...Many more test burns to come...

post-6473-139458443717_thumb.jpg

Thanks ya'll. The colors turned out a little pastel but I hope to fix that in my next batch. My labels also look off colored because I ran our of black ink and my printer had to mix colors to get it. I bought a new cartridge today. (I am so praying that I can get a Primera soon) HERES MY NEXT QUESTION, if you knew that they had an awsome throw, double wicked, hand poured, soy, great quality, what would you retail them for. I wanted to go with sixteen dollars but mom said that was a little steep in her opinion for our area so I settled on fourteen but when I sat down and really thought about how much time I put into them, I realized I was selling myself short so I went with fifteen. Should I go higher, lower???? I Know there are others here who charge much more but I am just afraid that the people in our area won't pay more that 16 even if it is a great candle.

You should keep the pricing for your area in mind, but I'd definitely say stay with your gut on this one. $15-$16 is completely reasonable to me. That's a lot of candle!

I personally think it's much easier to price what you think it's worth and offer a discount once in awhile than to start low and creep your price up. I'm sorta kinda in that situation right now and it makes me a little uncomfortable.

HTH

and they do look very nice!

Did I read that right? 8 hours...from pour to test burn? Kind of pushin' it, isn't it?

The wax will not have even of set up. Nor molecularly bind/cure/and all that stuff. That would give you very misleading wicking results, and the same goes for throw. JMO.

Did I read that right? 8 hours...from pour to test burn? Kind of pushin' it, isn't it?

The wax will not have even of set up. Nor molecularly bind/cure/and all that stuff. That would give you very misleading wicking results, and the same goes for throw. JMO.

Oh definitely too soon to tell for sure. That is why I said that there would be more testing to come. I have one burning now and it is about a day and a half into cure and it is super strong. I am really satisfied with it. I am going to test one again in a week, and then everyweek after until I am at three weeks. That will provided me with more sound results than those of my first burn. I was just too excited to wait for the first burn.

Think long and hard about pricing and wax/shipping going up. I would tend to overprice to start out because you can always put them on sale if you see negative reactions to the price. For 17 oz of wax + jar and all the other things that go into it I'd price them at least at $19.95 and up to $24.95 depending on what the fo cost me. I'm not saying to price each scent differently, just come up with an average.

Oh definitely too soon to tell for sure. That is why I said that there would be more testing to come. I have one burning now and it is about a day and a half into cure and it is super strong. I am really satisfied with it. I am going to test one again in a week, and then everyweek after until I am at three weeks. That will provided me with more sound results than those of my first burn. I was just too excited to wait for the first burn.

They look very pretty. I've been testing these jars for 7 yrs and can't get them right. Wanna tall me your secret to success in just a few days?? I guess I'm not doing something right. :undecided

Very Nice SS! :wink2: I love the whole look! :cheesy2: Well,I live in a depressed area and I sell my candles for $1 per ounce!(no less)and everyone thinks they are very reasonable.Especially for handpoured candles...that means alot to most ppl. What scents are those in the pic.?I think you will do very well w/those jars! :D Good luck and keep us posted!

Kimmeroo

They look very pretty. I've been testing these jars for 7 yrs and can't get them right. Wanna tall me your secret to success in just a few days?? I guess I'm not doing something right. :undecided

He's double wicked them. :)

I personally never saw anything wrong with a candle that's double wicked. If I ever hit a jar that's driving me insane, I'll double wick it in a second. I love having multiple wick candles around in case I want more candle light. Great if power goes out, to see until we get the generator going. :)

I'm with you Vio! I like the ambience from candle light and double or triple wicked candles put out such a nice light in a dark room. Some customers think they will burn twice as fast with 2 wicks, but you just need to educate them.