What are splitter candles?

Not sure if this is right and now that i am looking I can't find a picture. If it is the ones I am thinking of they are pillars that burn down the center and the outside edges actually fold outwards and roll down the outside instead if tunneling. So as I think it was put where I found them once burnt each pile of left over wax is its own unique piece of art.:rolleyes2 HTH

Not sure if this is right and now that i am looking I can't find a picture. If it is the ones I am thinking of they are pillars that burn down the center and the outside edges actually fold outwards and roll down the outside instead if tunneling. So as I think it was put where I found them once burnt each pile of left over wax is its own unique piece of art.:rolleyes2 HTH

I was thinking the same thing and a few of us have tried to recreate that look I never succeeded but other might have.

These are called Angel Wings or Foliating Candles and NO, they aren't mine. I do some on occasion but they aren't this pretty...I haven't found any wax that is clear like this. Haven't heard them referred to as splitters so probably not the same thing.

Karen: you're faster them me!!

post-450-139458442676_thumb.jpg

These are called Angel Wings or Foliating Candles and NO, they aren't mine. I do some on occasion but they aren't this pretty...I haven't found any wax that is clear like this. Haven't heard them referred to as splitters so probably not the same thing.

Karen: you're faster them me!!

Hey Pam I don't know if this phrase works for posting but great minds think a like.

Karen B

Here's another website:

http://www.kerzenkiste.de/kerzenmacherinfo-englisch/Making_candles/Danish_blossom_candles/danish_blossom_candles.html

The best way I found to make them is to under wick them. After you burn then for a few hours then you can coax the wax and form the curls. A lot of people don't like these but they are unusual. I remember the 60's....yes I am one who DOES actually remember the 60's.....just about everyone did that to their candles. We all thought it was so cool. That is when the cut and carve candles became very popular too. Hippies were all about trippy candles. Donita

My star candles looked very cool when they did this on their own. Donita

ps.....

There are other pictures posted on this board. There is a company that advertised in one of my wholesale catalogs when I had a retail business. They had a name like Amazing Blooming Candles....I just can't remember but I am sure someone out here does.

Here's another website:

http://www.kerzenkiste.de/kerzenmacherinfo-englisch/Making_candles/Danish_blossom_candles/danish_blossom_candles.html

The best way I found to make them is to under wick them. After you burn then for a few hours then you can coax the wax and form the curls. A lot of people don't like these but they are unusual. I remember the 60's....yes I am one who DOES actually remember the 60's.....just about everyone did that to their candles. We all thought it was so cool. That is when the cut and carve candles became very popular too. Hippies were all about trippy candles. Donita

My star candles looked very cool when they did this on their own. Donita

ps.....

There are other pictures posted on this board. There is a company that advertised in one of my wholesale catalogs when I had a retail business. They had a name like Amazing Blooming Candles....I just can't remember but I am sure someone out here does.

A ha, thanks for that link Donita. That explains a whole lot. I know with my heart candles I under wick them because I haven't been able to find a way to change the laws of physics and make my melt pool into a heart shape. :P If left alone and no coaching is done the walls will start to bend into the flame. But that link made things more clear to me, hmmm I see an experiment in the near future.

edited to add **I'm not old enough to remember the 60's. (lol)

Karen B

Ah, the sixties - those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end - I loved the sixties and remember them well too.

I know JoJo.....I just want to "sing in the sunshine".....bon fires and guitars on the beach. I didn't have to "wish they all could be California girls".......I was one (smile).....now I am an old one making candles in the mountains. I can see the lake from my window, but it isn't the same as the ocean. Maybe that's why I have made thousands of sea shell candles and candles scented with Ocean scents. One of my sisters taught me how to "foliate" a candle at her house. I remember that day. I can't remember yesterday but for some reason I remember her having an orange candle and showing me how to carefully bend the edges over. We thought it was so coooooool .......Donita