Looking for Mary Kay/Arbonne/Pampered Chef person to ask Questions of

racolvin

Ditto that here too. I've been an MK consultant for about 7 yrs now. I'm not an active seller/salesman type and have not done a lot of home parties... some but not a lot. We moved out of town a few years ago and I'm not exactly central to my customers, lol. So now it's mainly friends and fam and sometimes I pay for an MK website to sell that way. So I don't know if I can help you or not, BUT- I work directly under and with my Sales Manager as her secretary and once in a while I help HER set up and do her bigger parties and such. Hopefully i've learned through osmosis, lol.

Thanks for replying :)

My questions boil down to this: Assuming that the product lines don't overlap (compete) is there any reason a single home party can't represent multiple lines? For example, could someone that does Mary Kay also do Pampered Chef? Or, is there any reason a joint party couldn't be held where Mary Kay and Pampered Chef products are presented simultaneously?

Of course where I'm going with this ultimately is: would there be any reason someone repping Mary Kay could NOT also sell my candles at the same party? Call it a "Cuticles & Candles" party or something?

What I'd like to do is recruit the ladies that do these parties already to represent my candles at the same time. Call them portable wholesale accounts if you like :)

No, there is no reason why they could not sell both. The only thing is they would not be able to process credit cards threw their MK or Pampered chef account. There are a lot of people that I know that sell MK, Cookie lee and or Pampered Chef.

Don't know if that helps you or not...

Lorrie:

Just out of curiosity, why couldn't they use their MK or PC accounts for credit card processing? I know MK ladies around here that charge for some ancillary services - gift wrap, baskets,etc - don't they have the ability to run those types of things through their accounts?

I don't remember ever being told I couldn't do something else. Most of them have a spiel to go through, and have to say certain things at specific times to get it all in. It could just be hard to squeeze in something else, but a good rep could do it. I've only used the credit card processing once, so not sure how it'd work to multiple company products. I would think that since Mary Kay reps typically keep their stock in hand, that the monies processed do not go straight to Mary Kay to place an order, but that all the money goes to the consultant. Pampered Chef, however, only charges when there is an order and a consultant would just get her earnings. Adding more than Pampered Chef items to that could throw things off.

When I do shows, I use my MK Propay for candle order processing. Never had an issue. Then I use Paypal for online orders and what not.

You can do both. The only thing that MK frowns upon is if they are a DIRECTOR you can't sell for another direct selling company. They want you to focus strictly on them.

It does depend on each individual ds company. Some do say that if it creates a conflict of interest then no you can't rep both..meaning if you choose 2 companies and their lines are similar then it would be an issue. Also I know some companies require that when you hit a certain sales level then they expect their company to be the only one you represent therefore not allowing you to be with any other ds company.

You would need to get the information directly from the company you are wondering about.

Angi

I was interested in selling Mary Kay, but found out they sell their outdated products to a lady in my area who sells them much cheaper (and at a flea market), than the other representatives can, so there was no point in starting since I couldn't compete with her prices by selling up-to-date products. She apparently has the exclusive on what she buys from them. She has a full-scale MK business, two booths full of their products. I had always thought MK products could not be sold at flea markets, but it's being done. You might want to check on that and see if you can get the out-dated products in you area. On second thought, you might want to give it more thought. I know a lady who purchased some mascara from her and got eye infection which required a doctor visit and antibiotics. Fortunately for Mary Kay, she was not the type to sue, but this rep could sell to someone eventually who will sue Mary Kay. Anyway, a company who will do this for one person and hurt the sales of other local reps, I wouldn't want to do business with anyway. Hope this doesn't offend any of you MK reps. I'm sure you are not selling the out-dated stuff that sits out in the heat all summer.

Are you sure it is directly from MK that she is getting these products or is she getting them from say reps or ebay that is selling out-dated items cheap? I can not see how a cosmetic company of the magnitude of MK would allow such a practice that would not only put their company in a horrible light but also put potential customers at-risk with possible rancid product which could result in a huge lawsuit that could hurt their company. I tend to believe she is getting her product from elsewhere and not from MK directly.

Angi

I can tell you for a fact that MK does not sell her outdated product. She is getting it from somewhere else. Probably from a consultant who decided to get out or from ebay. It is Not from MK. There are loop holes to selling MK on ebay. Even though you as a consultant can't go and sell it on ebay, you can always give it to a friend as a gift and they can do whatever they want with it. There is nothing MK can do about it. :P

Right, they only REALLY care if Directors try to promote other companies. A favorite saying among MK peeps is, 'you can't chase 3 rabbits and expect to catch a one!'. They expect professional focus & loyalty from leaders. I honestly don't know how so many get around the Ebay thing. It's absolutely frowned upon for consultants to buy off ebay, and states in your contract that you must only purchase your product from the company. This ensures quality and warranty. This is WHY sellers always state they ARE NOT reps nor endorsed by MK. But selling is a different thing I guess. :confused: It's a retail sale like anything else.

Mk DOES NOT sell their outdated product EVER. There is a lot of it in the market. Usually, as stated, from ex consultants who sell their stock when they decide to quit. You can send it back to the company for a 90% return, but you better be sure you never want to be an MK rep in the future- if you do this they won't accept your future application. And most just don't want to deal with it. So they sell it at Garage sales, ebay etc. And there are those... LOTS of those, who scout out for old products and sell them for less than a normal consultants cost because ANY thing over the pidly price paid for it is a profit. And if they do enough in volume, it can be quite profitable. There are a few items that are still quite usable past their date, but I can almost guarantee you she does not have many repeat customers. The first time someone gets a dry eyeliner or lip stick- it really gives the Brand a bad rep. No wonder people won't pay full price, lol. They have no idea how good fresh, reformulated, updated products can be. What everyone has to realize is that each consultant is a business owner unto herself. How she operates her business (and team) does not always portray how Mary Kay herself would have done it.

MOST reps do keep stock. But if they have minimal orders/sales they will sometimes wait until they have a certain amount of sales before they even PLACE the order(in order to meet the minimum wholesale price to get the 50% discount). This causes many customers to have to wait way too long. But as far as doing a group party- it's very commonly done. But there is usually a rep for each company, rather than one person representing all these companies herself.

I see no reason why you can do it your way. MK is a very generous company and it's not like they are going to swoop in and slap you with a law suit. They will just let you know that their propay service is a service they provide for the use of MK only. - if that's even true, I dont know. I do not think propay is owned by Mk at all. You might have to pay a bit extra for a dif type of account; but really - they don't generally keep tabs on incoming and outgoing.

Sorry if a bit off topic at times. Party on:rockon: :party:

I sell Arbonne and I sell my candles at my Arbonne parties. I get a lot of sells for my candles at those parties. I even take my candles to other MK & Arbonne reps parties. My area VP was one of the peeps that helped me start my candle biz. I use Propay and Paypal for Credit cards for the candle biz. Arbonne you use their system to process CC.

Are you sure it is directly from MK that she is getting these products or is she getting them from say reps or ebay that is selling out-dated items cheap? I can not see how a cosmetic company of the magnitude of MK would allow such a practice that would not only put their company in a horrible light but also put potential customers at-risk with possible rancid product which could result in a huge lawsuit that could hurt their company. I tend to believe she is getting her product from elsewhere and not from MK directly.

Angi

I have no idea where she gets her MK products. She sells on a large scale and has been doing so for two or more years. She does have repeat customers. Another MK rep looked at her products and told me she is selling out-dated stuff. She has several MK signs up stating 30 to 60% off. This is not an occasional sale to clear out stock. She is a permanent year-round vendor. I thought MK, Avon, Home Interior and such companies had a policy not to sell their products this way at a flea market.

Wherever she gets her MK products from seems to be a vast unlimited source. She is definitely hurting other reps and taking away some of their business. If I was an MK rep, I would certainly be highly upset over this.

It's like people always say... if a customer is looking for cheap substandard product, it's no kind of customer that I want. And that's the beauty of owning your own biz. You don't have to do any with them.

Selling at flea markets is totally allowed. It just doesn't usually go over very well for the same reason people buy the old stuff from the lady you speak of... they want a bargain. MK's stance is that it does in fact lower the perception of value for your product, but they don't tell you that you can't do it. You bought the product wholesale, it's yours to retail however you choose.

I wonder if this seller honors the guarantee at all? That would be interesting to know.

It's like people always say... if a customer is looking for cheap substandard product, it's no kind of customer that I want. And that's the beauty of owning your own biz. You don't have to do any with them.

Selling at flea markets is totally allowed. It just doesn't usually go over very well for the same reason people buy the old stuff from the lady you speak of... they want a bargain. MK's stance is that it does in fact lower the perception of value for your product, but they don't tell you that you can't do it. You bought the product wholesale, it's yours to retail however you choose.

I wonder if this seller honors the guarantee at all? That would be interesting to know.

You may want to call MK and ask them this because for the 7 years I have been in it, flea markets are NOT allowed .. Neither is selling at craft shows.

Here is what my MK rep told me...plus my best friend used to be a MK rep and both "stories" jive.

Their goal is to either have someone host a skincare class OR schedule you for a facial. Both said that their goal is NOT to sell makeup but rather teach proper skincare. And then the makeup is called "glamour".

They can host an open house in their home for their customers and if part of a group of vendors can sell products to their customers of course, BUT they are to ask the other vendor's customers if they have a MK rep. If they do...then both said they can do a one time purchase.

As far as flea markets and craft shows...both told me that MK frowns unpon it but they can set up a display and again their goal is to schedule skincare appointments or classes. And again...if someone wants to purchase something they are to ask if they have a rep and if not they try to schedule a facial with them. If they do have a rep, then they encourage them to order from them BUT will do the one time purchase only.

My present rep told me that IF she sells anything at either a show or flea than she is supposed to give a certain percentage to charity. I'm not sure if it's her choice or MK's choice.

I'm sure there are those reps, who for whatever reason, don't play by the rules.

And I'm only relaying info that I've been told by both ladies so........

Maggie

I think there is no reason for you not to do something like that.

My friend did a "Holiday Open House" this past Christmas featuring my candles/B&B, Southern Living and BeautiControl. It was nice and most ppl got their Christmas shopping done at the one stop shop and many ppl requested we do it this coming holiday.

dcroome... you are absolutely right. I failed to differentiate in my mind the difference in how we do it if we do...'having a booth' and taking orders....and actually having products there to sell- how this person appears to be doing it.

Just to clarify for anyone still wondering here are a few excerpts from the Legal Ease on my support site:

It's a small phrase, but an important one in the Independent Beauty Consultant Agreement: "I understand that display or

sale of Mary Kay products in public, retail or service establishments of any kind is inconsistent with the terms of this Agreement. Aside from this contractual prohibition, there are practical issues to be considered. Mary Kay is the finest teaching-oriented skin care company in the world! We believe that in order to maintain our priority to teach skin care it is important to give each customer the personal attention to her individual needs. This has become the hallmark of the professional Mary Kay Beauty Consultant. Certain environments are not conducive to this emphasis on personal contact.

I. FLEA MARKETS/GARAGE SALES/SWAP MEETS

Mary Kay often said: "You can't sell Cadillacs in a junk yard!" If the first impression of Mary Kay is that it is sold by

flea market vendors, along with old furniture, used clothing and other unwanted items, it is going to be difficult to find

hostesses who will be interested in inviting their friends to a Skin Care Class. It is important that we maintain the image

of professionalism in Mary Kay. The way Mary Kay is sold is as important as the fine quality of products we sell. The

"rummage sale" environment does not convey the image which we wish to maintain, because it deprives the customer of:

(a) professional, personal contact; (B) the opportunity to try before she buys; © the assurance of fresh products, which

have been properly stored; and (d) our Mary Kay guarantee, which is only extended by the authorized Beauty Consultant

who sells in accordance with our marketing plan.

And in regards to the original point of this post...

BEAUTY CONSULTANT PURSUING OTHER BUSINESS OPPORTUNITIES

Mary Kay Inc. has always recommended that Beauty Consultants who may be involved in more than one business keep

their businesses completely separate. This would include not using your Mary Kay Skin Care Classes as a forum to sell

another product or service and not using your association with the Mary Kay independent sales force to foster another

business.

In the past, we have experienced some serious problems and consumer misunderstandings when a Mary Kay Beauty

Consultant is involved in more than one business. The Company does not request that a Beauty Consultant refrain from

other business activities. We recommend, however, that when an individual finds a product or service in which they are

interested, they pursue that endeavor with all their energy. This recommendation is presented only for the full

satisfaction of all involved in each endeavor. Mary Kay Ash often said, "You cannot chase two rabbits and catch either

one."

I tried to look into the Q of using propay for other merchandise and personal sales but could not find anything. You will probably have the most definative answer by contacting their live support that is available til 7pm mountain time. What I did find is that there ARE general public accounts -you don't have to be affiliated with MK... but I beleive your Q is if you already have a propay acct with MK can you cross sell. Good luck on that.

Here is one more excerpt that might put you at ease if you decide to do it either way...

"How does Mary Kay respond to complaints about independent sales force activities that violate the terms of Independent Beauty Consultant, Independent Sales Director and/or Independent National Sales Director agreements?"When it comes to situations regarding contractual violations, we strive to give each independent sales force member an opportunity to learn and become better and stronger. Therefore, if a contractual violation comes to our attention, we work with each sales force member to educate her, ensure she understands, and then offer her opportunities to correct the situation. Naturally, however, if the activities in question continue despite all our efforts, we sometimes are left with no choice but to terminate our contractual relationship with that independent sales force member.

My personal take is that I would rather attend a multi-faceted type of 'party'. It would take the pressure off me as a customer worrying that I had to buy something to either support the hostess in her endeavor and or not be the only one not buying something, lol.