Shelf life of FOs?

ruff

Not necessarily true about the EOs either. Some, like citrus, are pretty fragile. Some (patchouli) even improve with age. And there is the whole spectrum in between.

But for longest shelf life store in amber glass or aluminum bottles in a cool, dark place.

Not necessarily true about the EOs either. Some, like citrus, are pretty fragile. Some (patchouli) even improve with age. And there is the whole spectrum in between.

But for longest shelf life store in amber glass or aluminum bottles in a cool, dark place.

So aluminum doesn't cause problems with fo? I'm just going by the reaction in the tin candle containers...I have never stored in alum, I just assumed it would not work out, but would love to know what the long term (6-12 mos) affect is.

Also now that this has been brought up, can you tell immediately OOB if a fo has gone bad or do you have to put it in product to tell. This is my 1st year of buying large quantities so my first real "storage" year. When this was a hobby, the largest I bought was 4 oz and it was gone in a couple of months.

Also now that this has been brought up, can you tell immediately OOB if a fo has gone bad or do you have to put it in product to tell.

I've only had one bottle go bad and it was from improper storage. IE. being left in my garage/shop through the heat of summer. It looked fine in the bottle, but didn't want to mix well in the wax. Some of the FO cooked to the bottom of the pour pot and is still there. :shocked2: I had put some in a container candle and after cooling it separated a bit and you could see small beads of colored FO between the wax and glass. Then, like an idiot, I did a pillar too. It left the same stuck on reside in the mold. A corrugated seamed mold of course and I'm still trying to get it all out. :o

I have some FOs that are in the natural plastic bottles they came in that I have had going on 2 yrs. I only have about an oz or two left in these but they still smell the same OOB as the day I got them. I buy premium oils from well known suppliers so I have not had any problems-- so far.

>>>I'm just going by the reaction in the tin candle containers...

What happens in the tin candle containers? You have me very curious. :)

Mt Annie

=================

So aluminum doesn't cause problems with fo? I'm just going by the reaction in the tin candle containers...I have never stored in alum, I just assumed it would not work out, but would love to know what the long term (6-12 mos) affect is.

What happens in the tin candle containers? You have me very curious. :)

Mt Annie

Some scents will turn soy wax a pink or orange around the edges in tins and I've been told that it is a reaction of the fo to the metal which makes me think that those same scents would have a reaction if stored in metal, but I've never tested the storage so I'm guessing here. I just wouldn't want to risk having fo turn bad due to metal so I think I'll play it safe and stick with glass or plastic.

I've had some oils for over 7 years (I really need to cut the dead wood in my inventory) that are still good. My shop goes thru all weather extremes from blazing heat/humdity to close to freezing and I've only had a couple go "bad" just from the looks or smell of them. But they were from no-name type of suppliers.

I've found the bottles from BCN are the ones more likely to "suck in" & that's one thing I hate. The bottles then tend to split. The oils are fine it's just crappy bottling.