11% load "better" than 6% load?

candlemaker74

It can also just ruin the scent. I tested CC's Sultry Angel at 1oz per lb (even though supplier said way less) I just didn't like the scent. I went down to what she suggested with this FO and it was just a much nicer smelling scent. It wasn't any "lighter" just better.

Test, test, test. This is a very expensive hobby.

Karen B

What she may be asking is would a wax rated with a FO load of 11% throw better in general, even with less FO. Not should she load it to the max. Which if that's the case, the answer is probably no because we'd all be buying it if such existed. Unless it costed even more $$$ than what we're paying already.

Darbla

What she may be asking is would a wax rated with a FO load of 11% throw better in general, even with less FO. Not should she load it to the max.

Darbla

Yes, that is somewhat what I am asking...

Generally, does a wax rated with a max FO load of 11% throw better than a wax rated with a 6% max FO load?

In other words a wax that can take a max 11% FO and has 11% FO would have a better throw than a wax that can take a 6% max load and has 6% FO...?

:confused:

Candlemaker74, have you made any candles yet? It's much easier to address specific problems rather than general "what ifs"...

The only answer to the question you posed would be "that depends..."

Then if one asked, "depends on what"

the answer would be "a LOT of variables"

See what I mean? :)

Candlemaker, Yes....of course you'd get a better throw with a wax that (#1) holds more FO... and (#2) to which more FO is added. :)

Mt Annie

Generally, does a wax rated with a max FO load of 11% throw better than a wax rated with a 6% max FO load?

In other words a wax that can take a max 11% FO and has 11% FO would have a better throw than a wax that can take a 6% max load and has 6% FO...?

• 2 weeks later...
Candlemaker, Yes....of course you'd get a better throw with a wax that (#1) holds more FO... and (#2) to which more FO is added. :)

Mt Annie

Not necessarily true. Some fos will throw better at a lower rate than a higher one.

But maybe that is depending on the quality of the oil.

Not necessarily true. Some fos will throw better at a lower rate than a higher one.

But maybe that is depending on the quality of the oil.

You're right mizbizzy. I was speaking more "in general" but yes the outcome will always vary depending on many different factors. :) Too much FO is much worse than not enough.

Mt Annie

I'm w/ Bizzy on this one. It took MANY yrs for this to sink in my thick skull, but pulling down the fo load actually gave me a far better throw than trying to max it out. So, just because a wax CAN hold 11%, doesn't mean you'll get the best results if you do. I look at fo loads kinda like a Victoria's Secret catalog ... just cause they offer super skimpy short shorts in any size larger than a 0, doesn't mean you'll get the best results when you max them out!!

Susan.

do I need to do the wax is a sponge speech, or shall I assume that all of us know that?

maybe not...

the percentage load is given by the manufacturer because that's the maximum FO that a particular wax will hold before becoming saturated. Going back to my chemistry days, once something is saturated, and you add more of (OMG... is it solute? I think so, cuz the liquid part is solvent, right?), in this case, FO... the wax won't be able to hold it and it 'leaks out'. This leads to excessive smoking, sooting, costly, etc. etc.

Now, as to a wax that holds 12% vs. a wax that holds 6%... both waxes can throw equally. It just depends on wicks, containers, quality of FO, and many, many, many other factors.

I'm w/ Bizzy on this one. It took MANY yrs for this to sink in my thick skull, but pulling down the fo load actually gave me a far better throw than trying to max it out. So, just because a wax CAN hold 11%, doesn't mean you'll get the best results if you do. I look at fo loads kinda like a Victoria's Secret catalog ... just cause they offer super skimpy short shorts in any size larger than a 0, doesn't mean you'll get the best results when you max them out!!

Susan.

Susan,

I love your Victoria's Secret analogy!:cheesy2: I recently made a batch for my personal use/liking using only 3/4 tsp of CSN Moon Lake Musk just to see what happened. I arrived at 3/4 tsp because it had a very nice light scent while mixing in the wax - Yes, I do know this is not necessarily the best/correct way to figure FO amounts but, hey, ya never know until ya try it. Actually, these candles had a wonderful light scent that filled both my living room and kitchen! I was very pleasantly surprised at the CT & HT at this low amount of FO but it worked in this case! I've made other batches with the same wax & FO but at larger amounts FO and did not achieve the quality CT & HT that the lower amount did. I also adjusted the temp at which I added FO which, actually, may have been the reason for increased CT & HT in this case.