Horrible 1st Rustic, help please!

snow

I Think Your Rustic Is Very Pretty Myself! I Haven't Started Making Rustic. I'm Only In The Reseach Stage. What's Wrong With It?

Would You Mind Sharing Your Procedure In What You Did? Did You Put Your Mold In The Freezer Prior To Pouring Your Wax? At What Temp Did You Pour And What About The Other Pours, Were They The Same Temp?

again I Think Your Candle Is Very Nicely Done AND I'D APPRECIATE ANY HELP YOU'D BE WILLING TO SHARE

Are you kidding me?? you're so hard on yourself, you should of seen my first rustic. it was a joke...But I got better each time. Practices is all. LOL

But let me tell you, That is VERY good for first time and REALLY A BEAUTIFUL BLUE RUSTIC.

Exactly how it should look!! you did fabulous. :yay:

Meg

I used 4045 wax that I had here, heated it to 160 and added FO and a tiny bit of blue. Cooled it to 150, poured a little bit of wax into the mold, just room temp, sloshed it around a bit and let it set on a slant for a while. Just til the edges started to harden, from that point I was clueless, but this is what I did....added a little more blue to the wax and poured it at 150 and tilted the mold in the opposite direction. I just kept going that way, adding more blue each pour until it was full. Then set it up straight and let it cool. I put in the fridge because I couldn't wait to see what it looked like. I think I had to much frosting, I'm not sure but I'm gonna try again. Thank you for the compliment tho.

Next time leave the fridge out of it.

Since it was my first I couldn't wait to see it, that always happens to me. But it seems to have a lot of frosting towards the top and not so much at the bottom. I think the bottom looks better, but I'm not sure why that happened, maybe because when you do the first pour, there isn't as much wax? I'm just guessing. Next time I will be more patient and just let it cool! Thanks scented and everyone else!

I think you are being too hard on yourself. It looks beautiful. I only put it in the fridge for 5 to 10 minutes THE NEXT DAY......just to help with the unmolding. This is your first attempt. It is great!!!!!!! Now just experiment and you will get the hang of it. It is art. And subjective. I like your candle.

Don't rush the cooling in the refrigerator.......let it cool all by itself. Then the fridge justs helps me unmold without removing the frost. Sometimes they just slip out of the molds all on their own. You are being a hovering mother....lol..... Donita

I think you are being too hard on yourself. It looks beautiful. I only put it in the fridge for 5 to 10 minutes THE NEXT DAY......just to help with the unmolding. This is your first attempt. It is great!!!!!!! Now just experiment and you will get the hang of it. It is art. And subjective. I like your candle.

Don't rush the cooling in the refrigerator.......let it cool all by itself. Then the fridge justs helps me unmold without removing the frost. Sometimes they just slip out of the molds all on their own. You are being a hovering mother....lol..... Donita

That I am...hovering mother :laugh2: Tomorrow I will try one, in the morning and let it cool because I have to work so I won't be home to rush it! I tried an LX16 and didn't get a big enough melt pool so now I'm burning an LX20 and it doesn't seem right either. Don't know where to go from here! Probably have to order some other wicks. Thanks all!

Hi Dee, your first attempt is fabulous. Everyone's given you all the best suggestions, patience, patience and then more patience is what a candlemaker needs. I like your candle and the colour is beautiful. I'd leave the fridge out too. Every rustic candle is unique, that what makes them so great.

You did very well for your first one. That's the nice thing about rustics, they're all different. You can make them however it pleases you :)

But it seems to have a lot of frosting towards the top and not so much at the bottom.

I usually find this happens because the mold gets warmer as you pour more layers of wax in. Sometimes I wrap a wet dishtowel around the mold when I get to the middle for a few minutes to bring the temp back down.

Hey Snow,

Thanks for the information! One thing I'm not sure about is do I put the mold in the freezer prior to pouring my first time? :confused: If so, how long should it be in there? Iprefer the rustic look without alot of frosting, can that be achieved?

Thanks again everyone, you're all so helpful!

Toni

One thing I'm not sure about is do I put the mold in the freezer prior to pouring my first time? :confused: ......Iprefer the rustic look without alot of frosting, can that be achieved?

Toni

If you pour into a frozen mold, you will get more frosting. Just pour into a room temp mold and pour cool & slow.

Snow: that's a very pretty candle.:highfive: I'm very impatient too and often water bath my rustics after the final pour. Like SatinDucky says, you can cool the upper part of the mold with a wet towel to bring the temp back down. I rub the mold with an ice cube.

If you pour into a frozen mold, you will get more frosting. Just pour into a room temp mold and pour cool & slow.

Snow: that's a very pretty candle.:highfive: I'm very impatient too and often water bath my rustics after the final pour. Like SatinDucky says, you can cool the upper part of the mold with a wet towel to bring the temp back down. I rub the mold with an ice cube.

That makes sense! I'll try that in time, right now I'm gonna just keep experimenting. But, the best advice I can give....Just jump in and try one, because then you can understand how the rustics work, until you try and its just not clear. I can see that now. Thanks all so much and I'm gonna keep at it. I like things that can be different and also ok to be different! :yay: These are fun!

Thank you Pam!! So the colder your mold, the more frosting you'll get?

That's how it works for me anyway. Here is a pic of one that I poured into a frozen mold - I really don't like the looks of all that frosting... I prefer the random lines of frosting like you see on Snow's candle. I have seen some candles made in frozen molds that were very pretty -- just not mine!!

But go ahead and give it a try - it will be a good visual for you to see how things work -- and if it comes out fugly like this one -- just remelt it:grin2:

ETA: In the very hot summer months, I do cool my molds in the fridge but not the freezer.

post-450-139458440106_thumb.jpg