palm oil

Jo Ann

I don't understand yout emperatures (I'm an Aussie). However, if it's left in the sun...yes it will melt. Mine is kept inside the house and it doesn't melt. Admittedly, it's in a cupboard so it's not exposed to any sunrays or anything....under 'normal' circumstances it wont melt by having it around the place. If you have a cool room somewhere put it there perhaps???

By the way,

have you melted it yet? No idea what a gallon jug looks like....

Cheers,

Hells

that's what I do with palm. I HATE dealing with that palm oil. Now I have the no-stir palm from Columbus Foods... nice!

Oh God I need that. I just got a pail of palm oil and had it in a cool storage room for a few days. It's like completely fractionated. On top is clear liquid oil and beneath it is like a coral reef formation. I poked and it's hard as rock. I'm in no mood to deal with this.

JoAnn I cut the top off mine about where the jug starts to curve and when I get finished using it I put a 2 gallon Ziplock bag over it and seal the bag.

Barbara

I do the exact same thing. I get alot of my oils and butters from Soaper's Choice and they come in those large yellow jugs. So I cut the tops off with a pair of scissors and cover with a ziplock. Works great and the opening is more than large enough to get my hands into.

Stick the jug in a sink- and fill it with hot water.

Once it is liquid, pour it into a bucket or a wide-mouthed container with a lid.

I do this with my Babassu oil.

Yep... this is what I do. Easy peasy. I do this with my coconut oil. Within minutes, it's liquid, and you can pour to your heart's content. :)

When I get oils from CF that come solidified in those small mouthed yellow jugs, I don't have the patience to wait for them to melt in a sink of water. I get a box cutter and slice the entire container open. I then just slide or scoop into a pail. It is quick and easy.

Ann M

I don't know how they do it (I suspect they may simply melt and then stir while it is solidifying) but it's a hard but creamy oil that I can scoop out in the summer or easily cut chunks off in the winter.

Top - I HATE dealing with palm oil. But melt and mix it you must! It's recommended that you melt down the whole thing, mix well, and pour off what you need. Sometimes I would melt the whole bottle and then pour it into a big bowl and stick it in the fridge or on the counter, stirring often to keep it homogeneous, until it hardens up again. It might not be exactly homogeneous but it's gotta be closer than coral reef...

ETA: but now I have 50# of no stir and won't be doing any of THAT again any time soon.

but now I have 50# of no stir and won't be doing any of THAT again any time soon.

Have I mentioned that I hate you?

What I'm going to do with this batch is melt the whole pail and then split it up into smaller containers. That way it'll cool quicker and not separate as much, plus I'll never have to melt the whole amount again.

This is also the last time I'm going to buy this type of palm. It's cubes from CF from now on. Then I'll like you again.

I just got a gallon of palm like that from OBN. I wondered why they would package it in a jug and not in a pail. Good thing I save my pails. I set the jug my on my heat register and got it warmed up enough to glop into my pail and just relabeled my old pail.