LX Wick Questions

I am looking to order and test the LX wicks but I haven't found a site that offers sample packs. Can anyone guide me to a supplier who does?

I am currently using the 4 oz quilted jelly jars, the wide mouth half pint and pint masons and the square mason's. Providing I can't find a supplier that offers the sample packs what would be the choice sizes to start with?

And one more question - do the LX's burn "true to size" for suggested applications? Example: LX20 - Large Containers or Pillars, approx. 3.25-3.5"

Sorry so many questions - I am looking to vear away from zincs and previous posts about these wicks have captured my attention :D

Edited: Forgot to mention I use J300 wax.

Just FYI, the CS ones have 15mm tabs and are 6" in length. For me thats not long enough for my pillars since they are 6.5".

I get mine at http://www.longwyckcandleworks.com/Wick.html - the larger sizes are 8" in length and tabbed with 20mm tabs. They also offer sample packs.

Its up to you - just thought I'd mention that. CS has great service and good products - I just prefer the longer and larger-tabbed LX wicks.

As for true-to-size, I think most of the suggestion grids are good but just for starting. Better to search these boards for size usage.

As far as LX's burning true to size...no they don't...at least in my experience. I use these wicks almost exclusively in J223 and in my pillars(4045 or 1343). I have to use an LX-28 or 30 in my pillars and an LX-26 or 28 in my 9 oz hex jars. So what they suggest for these applications are about 3-4 sizes off for the type of waxes I use. I'd get some larger wicks if I were you, just to be on the safe side.

As far as LX's burning true to size...no they don't...at least in my experience. I use these wicks almost exclusively in J223 and in my pillars(4045 or 1343). I have to use an LX-28 or 30 in my pillars and an LX-26 or 28 in my 9 oz hex jars. So what they suggest for these applications are about 3-4 sizes off for the type of waxes I use. I'd get some larger wicks if I were you, just to be on the safe side.

WOW !!! - I wouldn't have expected them to be that far off for suggested applications. The J300 wicks similar to the J223 so I have noted your suggestions. I am checking out the supplier sites that offer the sample packs as we speak.

Brenda, I try LX14/LX16/LX18. Those should work just fine. I get my LX from www.candlescience.com. They are 5.95 per 100. They don't offer sample packs. :undecided

e

Thanks e :D Those were the sizes I was considering in addition to the LX20. Since I have located suppliers with the sample packs, I will go that route. Especially after reading Fern's experiences.

Oh mercy, I will be testin' again :confused:

I bought my LX samples from a store on Ebay for a decent price. She sells individually, packs of 25 and packs of 36. I think the 25 count packs run about $1.50 to $1.75. She also sent me a few free samples of the CD wicks this week to try out.

She's a really nice lady and her shipping is super fast as well.

Link:

http://stores.ebay.com/Nannas-Candle-Nook_Wicks-LX-Series_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQftidZ2QQtZkm

As for true-to-size, I think most of the suggestion grids are good but just for starting. Better to search these boards for size usage.

Sorry :embarasse - that is misleading - it was really early and in my head I was thinking "in general" since I always use soy in containers and am just used to going up at least a couple sizes from any grid (LX or not) since they are all paraffin. In straight paraffin the LX 26-28 would be the area to look at for 3" pillars. (I was using 22s when I started but Fern is right --- mine needed too much hugging and putsing with).

• 10 months later...

Yup CandleScience is always my fave choice, but BCN and Peak do have LX sample packs if you need a closer supplier. You might have an issue with the lengths as Henryk pointed out and unfortunately Longwyck is out of business. I get raw spools for regular production.

For reference, my 3" pillars mainly wick with LX 16 through LX 22 using straight paraffin and stearic. The range will vary with your wax and additives and I think the assemblies might burn a little cooler than raw wick.

You can get LX wick samplers from BC.

Those wicks from Candlescience are cheaper, but the tabs on them are really small. I wish someone would have mentioned that. LMAO! :tongue2:

Now I have 800 wicks that I hate- check the classies soon.

A cheap place for square masons is WSP if you can pickup.

If not, google Gamber Container and see if they have a distribution center in driving distance. This will save you a boatload of money in shipping charges.

I've had the opposite experience with the LX wicks. They have burned true to size for me. The ones I've bought (Bitter Creek South) burn hot and true to size. Sometimes I'm having to even size down at times. I use J223 wax also. I use LX12, LX14, LX16, although I'm not doing pillars, just jars.