candle business success stories - positivity only please!

wood_elf

I am just starting this thread to ask everyone that runs a candle business or who sells candles to share their story with us. :cool2:

How did you get started? What kind of selling do you do (consignment, wholesale, craft shows etc)? Do you make candles for a living? How did you know you wanted to start a candle business? Do you enjoy it? How many candles do you sell a year?

Or anything else you can think of! :grin2:

Lets keep this thread positive everyone! There are a million reasons why not to do something, but the people who look at things that way are in the end the ones who never do it because they don't bother trying :wink2:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Started making candles in Feb, website went live in August. Did 1 craft fair at christmas, turns out not to be a craft fair and it was pants.

Sold quite a bit through people I know off my website, and in the new year I want to try and get a wholesale account and get my products into some health spas/shops on a percentage per sale basis.

I love making candles, I love doing this for a living.

I have 4 kids so I'm a SAHM, so am making and testing into the small hours ;)

The best thing, my house smells lovely lol

Lets keep this thread positive everyone! There are a million reasons why not to do something, but the people who look at things that way are in the end the ones who never do it because they don't bother trying :wink2:

Sorry, but that's like saying do these pants make my butt look fat and oh yeah, only give positive answers. :D

Business isn't just the good, it's also the bad, the hard work, the heavy lifting, the burns, the FO that you just can't wick, the long hours, the bills, being away from the family, missing the good stuff because you have an order to fill.

Be realistic, please.

I agree with Carrie. There is so much that is not "positive" on the business side, however to answer your questions...

My sister worked in a furniture store and one of their vendors came in. Her boss had my pillars on consignment and the vendor noticed them. He asked where they came from because he could sell them. He ended up taking a few sets to some of his trade shows and came back and handed me a handful of wholesale accounts.

That's how I really got started. I don't do shows (have only done a couple) and prefer to wholesale or do fundraisers. I know exactly how much of what to make!

I enjoy it most of the time, but there are certainly times when I wonder if it's worth it. There's a whole lot more involved in a business than just pouring.

You want to make it as a business well any good business person will tell you that you have to look at the whole picture not just the parts you like.

More fail at candle making as a business than ever succeed. Honestly most are lucky if they just break even.

Truthfully a lot of this business is luck, some get the lucky breaks, others no matter how good of product they have and how well they market it just stay in the dungeon just working away. I really want out of the dungeon it dark down here. :)

I have had months where I am am the golden child and do really well other months I wonder why I am still doing this. But most of mine has been a slow steady build which works for me.

You will not find over night success here. It all about the work.

I am doing well mostly because I have very low expectations! I mostly sell October through December and the rest of the time do reorders exclusively. I tried Valentines Day last year, but not many were interested so I ended up with lots left over.

I'm a SAHM of 6 and homeschool, so this is perfect for me. I get extra Christmas money, I love candles and making the house smell good (!) and I'm home all day to test so testing moves pretty fast now that I know what is likely to need wicked up and which jars to just avoid altogether.

I could step it up, but then I'd be entering the pressures of a "real" business, and I know that my life is not ready for that. It's all I can do to hang on for the wild ride at Christmastime- if everyday was like that I might go nuts.

So success is what you make of it. I'm successful because I've met my personal goals. Goals can vary greatly!

-Kristi

Someone who is "making a living" after less than a year either eats garbage or has another source of money. I've been making candles for over 15 years and couldn't make enough of a living off it to pay the mortgage, all the bills. But that's not my goal, either. I wouldn't enjoy it if it were my only source of income. It would be too much like a real job and the stress during the slow months would kill me.

The repeat customers make it worth it. I've done more craft shows that I want to count, and I'm currently in my 3rd flea market. I've picked up really good wholesale accounts at the fleas. The fleas in my area are nice fleas, not outdoors swap kind of things. Upscale fleas, lol. Here's my current flea website: www.GoldenGooseFleaMarket.com.

At this point, I would say 50% of my sales are repeat customers, 50% new. I like that balance. The news become repeats and the cycle continues.

I kind of fell into candles...casue I was bored and it all just kind of landed in my plate...but I did and still work over 100hrs a week!! After 1 year it became our only source of income, except DH PT army job. 5 years later...we are struggling just as much as the first year. I'm the last to get paid. If i would get pd like the rest of the employees, I'd be pretty well off. My goal this year..is to no matter what...i get a pay check.... It's time for a new car and I want a LEXUS SUV!! So it may happen...12_6_16.gif

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb097&pp=ZNxdm801MSUS

I've been making candles for 2.5yrs. didn't really start my business until this yr. marketing/sales wise.

This yr. I did small local craft shows, August through December. Made presents for family and friends that ended up in some sales. Had 2 fundraisers and got 3 wholesale accounts. I also have alot of repeat customers. I probably wont see any profit for quite a few yrs. Heck probably longer than that.

Next yr. is going to be a little better.

Mindy :)

Gotta back Carrie and Trish and it's finding a lot of FOs that just don't work or coming up with a marketing scheme and not being able to get it off the ground ... the changing of one's mind on the look of the company, the packaging as well ... staying up with the times and movements, learning enough to combat the negative you will see out there, and standing out in a marketplace that is saturated with some good makers and some not so good makers and developing a business plan that you follow and not look at and say oh yea, we were going to do that ... etc.

And then you have to allow yourself to have the space to grow into other things.

Been making candles for about 12-13 years now and like anything else, it's a tough area to establish a business.

I make because it's fun and I like to experiment with looks. We just do craft shows because honestly there aren't enough hours in the day to spread out into other things. But the wholesale and fund-raisers are coming and I'm dreading it.

There are a few here who do this as their sole business and most of us who don't. There's a lot to think about, but you need the negative so in your plan of attack you have ways to combat it, because you aren't going to just see roses and blue skies.

I see your point in not wanting negative commentary, however it is very foolish to only look at things from one perspective. People who have never owned a store or sold candles can really only offer insight into their fears and don't have legitimate business advice to give you. Nobody needs that--everybody has enough of their own. However, when you have people who do own businesses and do sell candles offering insight into the probability of making a living at it, you ought to pay serious attention, whether it be negative or positive.

Another thing to consider is what anyone's definition of success is. To one person, earning $20,000 a year might be success, but to anyone else that means poverty. I'm sure plenty of people here earn supplemental income by selling candles, but I imagine those truly earning a genuine living at it are few and far between.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but you need to take a look around you and see what is out in the market place. If you want to make a living at it consider what it is about your candles that makes them unique. What kind of gimmick do you have? That is what it takes to truly become a "superstar" in the world of candles or any other craft for that matter.

Being successful depends on what your goals are. You have to look at the whole picture not just part of it. I first started early last year making bath and body items first. Then I tried tarts. After making tarts I was hooked. I opened a store in September. Sales were slow at first. But I have kept up with it by adding other items such as balloons coustom gift baskets and flowers. My tarts have been a really big seller. But my lotions and gels and sprays were slow to start. Since I have been giving free samples of items to try people have been buying more and my business is getting much better. I have a long way to go to get the store were I want it to be. But with the goals I have set for the new year I know we will just get better. Regina

I agree with the others that you need to hear both sides of the business. And you will probably hear a lot more negative than positive...all things that you need to take into consideration before taking the plunge.

The most positive thing about this year for me has been my repeat customers who are the heart of my business. With out my repeat customers I have nothing. A very smart person on this board once said...80% of your sales comes from 20% of your customers.

Last week I received my quarterly check from one of the stores I consign in. It's a small, old fashioned store that is owned by this lovely older couple. My sales aren't huge at this store but I stay because I know how much they appreciate my hard work and the quality of my candles. She always puts a little note in with my check...this time the note said..."Thank you for allowing us to sell your wonderful candles in our store".

Having a store that believes in my product...that's what it's all about for me!

Good luck!

Karen

just for the record, in case that quote was pointed at me, when I said I do this for a living, I mean I'm now classed as self employed and sell my candles.

NOT I make a living at this. It only supplements my husbands income. It allows for little extras we couldn't otherwise afford.

Thanks everyone who shared and kept things positive like I asked!

To everyone else: thanks for your concern but I am disappointed that you did not honor my request to keep this thread a positive place only. Of course you are right that when you make a business the whole picture counts. But this thread was not entitled "lets look at the whole picture with regards to starting a business, good and bad". After this thread I was going to today make another one to look specifically at the pitfalls of starting a business and to ask everyone to share their wisdom in that regard. Personally I am well aware of the pitfalls of a business (but not a candle business) having started one before.

This thread was for sharing positive vibes only about success stories and encouragement.

I just thought it would be nice to have a place to share positivity. It is one of the most important things to have when you are starting a new business. It helps tremendously to surround yourself with positivity and supporting individuals.

Anyways thanks for your advice none the less everyone. I understand that most of you proffered your advice out of genuine concern. But maybe try to "lighten up a little" :D

You know we really are just a bunch of weird aliens hurtling through space on a pretty rock.

Love ya,

wood_elf

Entering a forum as a newbie and expecting to "command a presence" is probably kind of a foolish thing to do. (No, I am not calling you a fool, in case you wonder) If you were disappointed in the way things happened in this thread, that tells me that you expected something completely different. One thing that may help you to be ready next time is to realize that you are on a public forum that has thousands upon thousands of members, with thousands upon thousands of opinions, and many of us are going to tell you what we're thinking whether you want to hear it or not, or whether or not we've GUESSED that there would be a sequel thread! LOL.

The huge truth here though, is that you just can't talk about success without talking about the bumps, walls, and the uglies along the way. You are correct, positve thinking is a large part of success, but so is realism, and that's what you'll find here in large doses! (Along with lots of sunshine being piped where the sun don't shine as well ;)) It was an admirable try, but maybe you might rethink the approach if you have an agenda in mind.. :) Happy New Year

Unfortunately Wood Elf, you can't control the way someone's mind works and when you post on any forum you are always subject to opinions that you do not ask for.

Perhaps you would have received your much desired responses if you had only said "I am in desperate need of encouragement." People here are ordinarily highly supportive of each other. However, sometimes they can also be brutally frank.

Maybe it would be worthwhile for you to examine your own positivity. Truly being positive means making the most of any situation. With that in mind, a positive person should be able to glean useful information out of all the posts that were made here. In looking at them all, I see beneficial information contained in every one of them. Sure they might not have responded accurately to suit your exact needs, but the thoughts that were offered were made with your best interests in mind, and that, in my opinion is a positive thing.

Entering a forum as a newbie and expecting to "command a presence" is probably kind of a foolish thing to do.

Thanks PA, I may have worded it differently and...

Here, :tongue2: , I'm going to call this smiley a biting my tongue smiley instead of a sticking my tongue out smiley.

:tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2:

Wood Elf, I suggest you think twice before you chastise any member of this forum.

I've been making candles for 6, almost 7 years now. I started slowly....a few sales to co-workers, then did a few shows, then got a website, then started advertising more and adding products (as I tested them throughout the years) now I am starting to develop a following! :smiley2: I am happy when I am able to make a bit over what I spent on fragrances and extras. I love making candles and other goodies too! There are some negatives, (quite a few actually) but I'll post my list in the "other" post. Success to me is when I am not losing money. I am actually making a bit of money doing what I love. This year was a weird year....it was the first one that I did alot of sales, but had alot of "stuff" going on in my life that made it hard to fill orders! BUT, the cool part about being in business is that it is YOUR business. I want to cut back a bit and spend more time with my babies....so that is what I am going to do! When I decide to pick up production, hey, the wax will be there waiting on me! :D I do also love the fact that my house smells good and my skin is softer than it has been in yeeeears! That's all that can think of off the top of my head, but I am going on 4 hrs of sleep and worked extra at the FT job today. (Sorry, had to get a little whine in there! :o )

"The huge truth here though, is that you just can't talk about success without talking about the bumps, walls, and the uglies along the way. You are correct, positive thinking is a large part of success, but so is realism..."

Prairieannie said it best... How would we know success without the contrast of hardship? Hardship's the teacher. Success is P.E.

What an interesting thread. It really doesn't matter what the intent, good conversation came along anyway. I like to hear how people got into this, some fascinating stories. Maybe that would be a good thread??

We tell our story quite often, people seem interested from different groups. I think there is a fascination with hand crafted items that is starting to come back, after all the horror stories of 'made in China', (like that should have surprised any of us:) I was recently asked to serve on an entrepuenership information board. Heck, I have trouble even spelling the word, but love the concept. It is exciting to me, to be part of what America is really all about. A place that anyone can follow a dream, build a business, and find satisfaction in making something with our own hands. There is so much information out there to help do that, but unfortunately, not much money. When our web site is up and running, I will post a link on here.

Any of us, even those that only make a few candles or any hand crafted product, should feel proud as artisans. Now, the down turn of that is that the craft has become undervalued, and it is extremely difficult to make a living at it. There are actually people trying to help out with that, from the government on down. If the government truly wants to support the heart of America, the small business person, they need to make some changes. In the last year, I have thrown my little bit of support toward trying to make that happen. One of the big push we have going on is convincing people to "buy local". Another one is called "regional buy in", which is trying to match up different businesses, for a supply and demand effect. I also am very involved in any local economic development. I would encourage that involvement, they help out wherever they can. They are going to sponsor an open house in our little shop, to help showcase what we are doing at the county level. Early February, to help Valentine's sales. Our economic director takes samples of our product around to different groups, promoting small businesses, she has become our biggest supporter. (Besides absolutely loves our stuff). We joined a little group that came up with a grant to make up and distribute 10,000 brochures about our little town, so we got free advertising, our little shop was one that was included. Didn't take any of our money, but a little time helping put it together.

Okay, got carried away and off subject. Oops. Anyway, what probably helped us the most of anything that has happened, is local coverage in newspapers. Human interest stories. People actually read that stuff. The first article that was done on us, was read by a couple that had moved away years before but still received our little paper. They had opened a Bed and Breakfast in a larger city not too far away, and contacted us about 3 1/2 years ago. They mostly sell our bath products, (we make guest soaps for them), but do sell other items for us. They don't sell a lot, but the people that stay in their Inn are people that we would not come in contact with any other way, people that stay there that are involved in the large university and very large hospital. I struggled with the idea of even doing business with them, because it was more trouble then profit, but if I hadn't, the much larger sales I would have missed out on. Actually, our largest wholesale account came out of that, that keeps us going on the smaller retail side. We have literally done thousands of dollars of business with them this last year, although the Bed and Breakfast only a few hundred. The old advice, treat every sale as a $10,000 sale, is probably the best advice we ever received.

We do do this full time, but only because we are retired from paying jobs. I had started the business a couple of years before I retired, my husband joined me a couple of years ago after he retired. We both love it. We have spent tons of money to build it up, don't see much cash flow out of it, but we both love the challenge. Granted, around Christmas we were exhausted and frazzled, but we finally starting seeing daylight that this thing actually just might make some money instead of draining us. Word of mouth has finally taken off enough to give us a healthy retail November and December. But we have really busted our b*tts to get it rolling. We have about 4 different avenues for sales, finally had two successful fundraisers in November. We went back to doing craft shows, even did two big fairs last year back to back to get exposure. At the fairs we handed out tons of samples and pamphlets, plus sold a bunch of product. Retail is still our smallest income, which we are working very hard to improve. We also got hit with some very severe weather about every weekend starting in November. Ugh. So we didn't see the response that we had hoped from other towns, but did hear that people tried to come and see us, but couldn't make it. One of the things I did do, was helped put together a group of business owners to promote a Main Street Open House. We did a ton of promoting, but severe weather forced us to cancel. We got the ball rolling though, and that group is meeting soon to start another promotion.

My big push early this coming year is web sales. We live in a very rural area, which presents some big challenges. Increasing the web sales is vital to bring in sales that just aren't going to happen by coming in to our little shop in our little town. We have been working on a new web site for several months, (having a hard time to do all this). I want to get it finished before doing marketing for the web site. So that is my first priority, (after finishing up inventory, that is).

In a time when customer service has completely disappeared at large stores, we have a big advantage. Quality. Personal service, customizing, making a product that when people use it, they say, wow, I really like that. Or even better, I love it! That is the pay off, when people come in and say how much they love the product, we always say, then tell your friends. We may not have a ton of customers, but I always say the ones we have are the best in the world. The best part of the Christmas sales were people coming in that received our product as gifts and rushed in to buy for other people, because they loved the product that much. Big compliment, and hopefully enough to get us through the tough times, when we start doubting ourselves.

This is not a business for woozes. I think though it tugs at something inside of us, the creative, up for any challenge, part of any of us. Jim and I can put in a 12 hour day, and honestly enjoy it. Not every day, believe me, some of those long days we are ready to lock the doors and sell it all on ebay. Other days we hit the floor ready to take on any challenge.

Sorry for long story, I haven't had time the last few months to contribute on here, and believe me there have been many, many days when you guys were my life line, even though you never knew it. My inspiration, my 'bible', I absolutely could not have done this without these message boards and the people that give up their valuable time to contribute and share. Thank you.

I have been selling candles for 7 years now. Paraffin first then switched to soy and was selling them for other companies. Then decided to save on the middle man an do it myself and now I make my own soy candles and just love it.

I have done craft shows before, I had at least sold over 100.00 worth. Which is better than zero. This past Dec. was in a small craft show and sold my own soy candles and sold close to 200.00 worth. I have repeat clients already, plus I sell to my daytime clients too(I am a Nail Tech.) Its all word of mouth. I have a brochure I give out too.

In the next few months I have fundraiser oppt. one in the Spring and one in the summer. Going to give that a try.

As far as making money----I am in the process of doing my books when done I will let you know. This is my first year selling my own. In any first year, u usually take a loss. But I know you can make a profit, just takes time.

It's a great side biz for me right now.

Thanks;)

Kathy

I have been in business for a little over 3 years and I do enjoy it. I started with wax dipped bears and then ventured into candles. I have not marketed my business the way I should but, the income has been OK, enough to keep it going. I also work full time, so this is secondary income for me.

Overall, my business has done pretty good but, there is always room for improvement.

How did you get started?

Started as melting down old candles, enjoying and taking an interest in the process.

What kind of selling do you do (consignment, wholesale, craft shows etc)?

Over the course of things? Online primarily. A few craft shows. Minor wholesale. Tried consignment... that was the worst.

Do you make candles for a living?

No. For supplemental income, a bit of spending money.

How did you know you wanted to start a candle business?

Because I wanted to make things "legit" to be selling my candles.

Do you enjoy it?

Yes and no. :)

There is a large spectrum of chandlers here. The more you read in this section, the more answers you'll find to the questions you've asked.