Lip Balm Techniques

MsDammit

This is probably a silly question but I'm curious- how do you all make lip balm? I find myself procrastinating everytime I have to make some cuz the clean up is such a PITA. Right now I use a glass bowl and it's not easy to clean up-even my sink ends up messy. I'm thinking disposable is the way to go?

I use a pyrex measuring cup that is only used for this purpose. I store excess in it, and when it gets empty I DO run it through the pots & pans (heated water) cycle of the dishwasher and wipe out the reside before and after.

The problem with disposable is that it's really easy to melt the stuff...

I use a glass pyrex measuring cup to do mine. I find the easiest way to go is when I am finished, I put the glass cup in the microwave for a few seconds... it melts all the residue...then I wipe it clean with paper towels while it's hot. It usually takes about two good rounds of wiping... unless your bowl is ultra big. It gets all the residue out. Then I wash as normal with hot soapy water. No more mess.

Same as with candles! Wipe out your container when it is still warm!

I use a small metal bowl (stainless steel) double boiler method and give it a good wipe with a paper towel before I wash it with hot, soapy water. Dishwasher doesn't do it for me -- still get a slightly scummy layer.

Baby wipes work great too, if the bowl is still warm. I've also warmed up the baby wipes a little bit too sometimes.

Baby wipes work great for small spills and drips of oils, butters, etc and just general clean up, too. I don't have any kids but buy baby wipes by the case. :grin2:

I use a bain marie with a small non-stick pan. As the mixture cools and congeals I put it back on the b/m briefly to remelt and continue filling the tubes. Then I wipe the small pan with paper towels and then warm water in the sink. Works well for me.

I make one big batch of my lip balm recipe. Then, I store it wide mouth jelly jars. After that......

I use the oyster glass tealight cups for small batches. They hold 2 oz of melted balm. I do it this way so I can make several flavors. I nuke them in the microwave on 50% power until it is almost all the way melted. Then I put the glass on a candle warming plate to finish melting. I add my flavor and use pipettes to fill the tubes. Once I am down to a very thin layer on the bottom of the glass, I stick a paper towel in the glass to absorb the balm then use another to wipe them out. For a bigger batch of one flavor, I use glass custard cups. These hold 4 oz of melted balm.

Very easy method and I can make as little or as much as I want.

I tried to use pipette to fill the tubes but my lip balm mixture became solid inside the pipette and I couldn't use it anymore. The mixture is liquid in my pyrex cup but as soon as I suck it up with the pipette, it became solid. Any advice?

I use stainless steel coffee creamer thingys.

I tried to use pipette to fill the tubes but my lip balm mixture became solid inside the pipette and I couldn't use it anymore. The mixture is liquid in my pyrex cup but as soon as I suck it up with the pipette, it became solid. Any advice?

Are you keeping the mixture warm on a candle warmer on you work bench? Keep the workings very close to each other and used a lip balm tray. If you have to walk back and fourth, you allowing time for the mixture to cool in the pipette. Frankly you might try the small stainless steel creamer idea, mentioned above. I think I will try that too.

Fire

Frankly you might try the small stainless steel creamer idea, mentioned above. I think I will try that too.

Fire

I have about 1/2 doz of these and they are my favorite piece of equipment for small batches of B&B stuff and candlemaking. I also use a set of SS measuring cups. If whatever application I'm working with cools too much, I just zap them with the heatgun

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56547&page=2&highlight=stainless+steel

Don't suck it up all the way. I keep mine in a double boiler on low so the lip balm is still liquid and have my tubes ready to be filled. That way you can fill the pipette and dump it in the tube, kinda all in one motion.

Takes a little practice but you will get the hang of it quickly!

I never thought about using the stainless steel cups. Thanks for the tip. Guess who is going to walmart tomorrow? :tiptoe:

I saw some at Sears today. They had nice rubber covered handles but did not have a tiny pour spout like the ones from Wally World....that teeny tiny spout thing allows me to pour one or two drops to top off the lip balms when they sink. That's a very important feature to me:)

I use a pyrex, heat up what I need and add.

Instead of pipettes and the gambit, I use a meat injector without the needle. I heat that in the last 10-15 seconds in the microwave and it lasts me through an entire lb. of BCN base without having to reheat once. ETA: And a normal sized injector for a few bucks at Wal-Mart holds enough to squirt in 4 tubes each fill.

I stick the tubes inside a 16oz. round travel tin to keep them up and it will catch any dribbley runover. Use the injector to fill with a slight dome for when it settles it comes out rounded.

Once cooled, I put them out, and plop the tin on the griddle, remelt what went over the time and repeat. :)