Candle hand guard?

Hi,

I've been approached by a policeman (ooer missus ;) ) they are having a church service for victims of gun crime and want candles.

We have decided on tapers, as they are more cost effective than votives in holders, however I don't make them. I want to help them, my mother head is on rather than my business head, and its christmas. I've managed to track down the tapers, however, what I do need, is some kind of hand guard if there is such a thing? Something that slides on the candle and protects the hand from dripping wax.

Anyone know about the guards?

Good thing though, he is having 3 photo hurricane candles from me and says a lot of other mums there may be interested.

When I was younger, we would always have a candlelight service at church on New Years Eve. Right before midnight, everyone would light a candle and sing church hymns to bring in the new year. We would just wrap aluminum foil around the base of the candle and form kind of a drip pan with it. It may not look very nice, but nobody really cared, it was the purpose of the event itself that made it all special.

cool idea. I'm thinking then, maybe the little silver foil plates, small ones that you get cakes in, could catch any drips too. or polystyrene bowls, or even cupcake cases

I'm going with the pc on tuesday to pick up the tapers (if the shop will save them), 300 for £72, think thats good for in the UK.

We use those every year at Easter vigil Mass. IMO 5" would be way too big and awkward to carry whereas 3" is about perfect. You can make your own by cutting some circles on cardstock and then cutting an "x" in the middle for the candle to slip through. It will look nicer than a paper cup; plus, if appropriate, you have the option to make them colored (as in pink for breast cancer, etc.) Or do a search for paper or plastic "bobeche" to get ready-made. I know Swan's carries them although that's pretty far away for you for shipping. :smiley2:

If you can find a web site that sales church supplies you can find the little round things to use. We use them at our Christmas Eve Candlelight Service every year but I don't know what you call them. Actually some white card stock paper with a hole cut in the middle would probably work. That way you could put some printing or graphics around the outer edge. The candles we used were never lit long enough for fire to be a problem. They were only lit at the end when we sang Silent Night and then blow out.

Sorry FarmerJill - didn't see you suggested the same thing. Great minds think alike!!

thanks so much everyone for your help. I've searched for paper bobeche in the UK (and am continuing looking), the church supplies search idea was great also, they must use them. I'm going to ring the vicar later at the church the service is being held at also.

thanks xx

Charles Farris is a very well stocked church candle supplier in the UK. You can find drip shields here:

http://www.charlesfarris.co.uk/products/candles/accessories/ds20

I wouldn't get standard width taper candles - the really slender ones will be easier for people to hold and control and are the ones regularly used in churches. You can get about 330 of these on the same site for £40.

Here's the link: http://www.charlesfarris.co.uk/products/candles/church/CC01/CC01B

Nat

• 3 years later...

BUMP!

Old thread, new interest.

What are your bobeche ideas?

I don't want to use paper because I plan on using these for carved wedding taper candles and they may have to catch part of the carving that breaks off during the burn, or some drippage.

The glass ones are just too expensive (cheapest ones are $1.95 each). Nobody seems to be selling plastic or anything between glass and paper.

I want them to look nice. The metal tin idea above is good for home use but I wouldn't want to put one of those on a wedding candle.

I tried some of those plastic caps that allwhite candles sells for putting inside the shrinkwrap on pillars. It was the right size but probably not thick enough and it distorted a lot when I cut slits in the center and installed it.

Ideas?

When I think of tapers I picture those old fashioned brass candle holders with the handle on the side. I'm sure someplace may carry those but don't think they will be cheap. I see a lot of candle table decorations using hurricane glassware.

Are these wedding candles gonna be table or alter decor or are you planning on customers carrying them? Not sure a lot of people carrying candles around is a good idea. Especially since most people dress up for weddings.

I'm not really sure where the wedding candles will end up. I think on a candle holder on a table or stand at the church. Maybe some at the reception?

A local store that sells wedding stuff expressed interest in carved wedding candles if the price is right. We talked about price and their idea of price is certainly understandable, but tough to swallow for me. (They want to buy two carved tapers and a center unity candle for $14/set). My cost would be about $10 so that's $4 for labor. Can't do that. However, the set sells at Michaels for $39 and they have their half off sales, so $20 retail and that makes sense for a $14 wholesale from the store's perspective.

Thus the cost of the candles is an issue right now. I did find bobeches at general wax for $0.63 each (clear plastic) and that seems to be the best price other than the paper ones.

I don't think anyone will be hand carrying the candles. They're not for vigil purposes.

You have some good ideas though, candybee.

Edited by EricofAZ