The Perfect Mold????

DonC

This should be an interesting thread;)

I would like to hear what everyone would call the "perfect" votive mold. I haven't heard ONE person ever say they "enjoyed" making votives. I guess it is mainly because they are a pain to get out of the molds.

Anyway, I work in a precision machine shop and have the excellent resources to build anything I want. That said............

How would you make the perfect mold? What would it be like? How many would it make at once? etc., etc.

I haven't heard ONE person ever say they "enjoyed" making votives.
I DO!!!:wave:

The perfect votive mold, eh?

I like the standard votive cups the best EXCEPT, they are so freakin' SHARP around the top! It would be cool if they were made with heavier aluminum... I like the cubes and octos very much except they need to be a little thicker aluminum and have a tiny hole drilled in the bottom to release mold vacuum. I like for wick pins to fit nicely in the bottom without too much "slop" It'd be GREAT if the wickpin sat in an indent to ensure proper centering, especially on the cubes and octos...

It would be nice for the individual molds to fit in a sand of some sort, but I am not sure I would want them ganged in a metal mold... like a 6 in one... I DO like the plastic and silicone multiple ones, but those are flexible.

That's my 2¢ :D

C'mon, Don - make us a better mousetrap! :yay:

Never could figure out WHY the votive molds had to have such sharp edges!! It took me more than once - yeah, I am not always the brightest bulb in the pack...to figure out that I didn't need to wipe them out every time I used them - just throw them in the oven and let it melt off. ONCE there was some red wax residue left behind and we made white votives and it showed, but I would rather have one batch of bad ones than a trip to the hospital for stitches.

I have no problem with the standard metal votive molds. I love making votives, I better with the amount I make and sell. They are a great little money maker!! I have never had a problem getting the votives out of the mold, even when I did soy........I do use mold release in my wax though. I've used the silicone, poly and plastic molds and always go back to my metal ones. :cool2:

Well Stella,

What about a mold with built-in wick pins, no vacum problems, would hold 24 votives, would be a sealed metal unit that once filled and set aside to cure, would cool evenly all around including the top? All made of teflon coated aluminum............ Hows that for a "new mouse trap"? Is that better than a cardboard box?:yay:

Well Stella,

What about a mold with built-in wick pins, no vacum problems, would hold 24 votives, would be a sealed metal unit that once filled and set aside to cure, would cool evenly all around including the top? All made of teflon coated aluminum............ Hows that for a "new mouse trap"? Is that better than a cardboard box?:yay:

I'm not Stella but that ^ sounds like a dream come true!

Don't know what wax you are using, but my votives simply lift out of the mold. I've never had one stick, and when I make tarts, I simply turn over the mold and they fall out.

Like you, I can't say I enjoy making votives, mainly because of the processing afterwards, but extracting the candles isn't why.

Fredron

The are sharp at the top because they are made of stamped steel that isn't polished or grind smooth at the top. This makes them cost less.

I would like them more if they were made of stainless -- or best yet, non-stick that did not scratch/flake off.

That would make it easier when you do runs that aren't scented.

Don - that is what I was going to suggest. Votive cup with pin built in. That would be wonderful. I couldn't use 24 on a strip though. Maybe 4,8, singles.

Edited to say so many people order just 1 votive and then you have to make at least 1/2 lb. Which is usually about 4 votives. 1 lb for me is 8.

Well Stella,

HAVE YOU MADE THIS????? :drool:

What do we want? We want pics? When do we want them? NOW! :D

I like making votives and mine never stick either, i give the mould a little squeeze and off it pops ........... oh but your mould sounds fab. Have you made it? have you?? :wink2:

Anjie,x.

I hate making them...in fact I quit making them...I make alot more on my 8oz.sq.masons.

When I did make them I used both sizes of dixie cups...just let wax cool a little then pour,wick,dry then rip them off! Like I said I don't mess w/them anymore.

Kimmeroo

I enjoy making votives and do very well with them. My only complaint are the sharp edges! 6 yrs ago when I got my first kit I chose a votive kit. I didn't know the edges were sharp, well, lol. I was taking them apart and cut my finger to the bone, lesson learned!! I should have known this would have gotten me into trouble. lol. I do like them separate as I like to do different tilts. :)

Well Stella,

Not Stella, but for me no ... unless you include a wipe down feature that makes cleaning them a breeze.

Well Stella,

:drool:

Sounds good to me except for the built-in wick pins, a suggestion to that would be a hole in the bottom you thread the cup on with a permenant seal when resting at the bottom. This will allow the cup to be taken out for cleaning, ease of removal of the votive from the mold. and not so sharp edges

I don't have an issue with getting my votives out of the mold, i use the pin as well, it's the blasted repour and i end up spilling a bit over every time.

The only thing about a hole in the bottom to me would be getting it level:rolleyes2

okay so i didn't think that one through far enough :whistle:

well Doc did say no vacum problem does that mean flip it over and they all fall out? If that's the case then permenant pin works for me.

Ok, lets see if I can explain this............

I talked with my boss today about it and he is willing to do all of the machine work on the prototype. He will also do the production part of it if it works out. I should probably get it patented as well, cause someone will certainly pick this up and run with it.

The mold would be in three parts(easy to clean). The top would have the wick pins incorporated into it permanently. The center would be machined to hold the votives. 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, whatever. That is still up in the air. The bottom would be able to be removed like the top, thus eliminating the vacum issue and allowing the votives to slip out easily. The bottom would also be machined to make a small indent in the botom of the candle to allow for the wick tab.

So....you place the "bottom" on the table. Place the "center" on top of the "bottom" and secure it. Pour the wax into the "center". Place the "Top" on the center, secure it and leave it to cool.

My theory is that it will cool perfectly even and will eliminate any possibility of cracking, and hopefully eliminate the need for a second pour as well. The repour is the part that bothers me. I'll have to figure that part out after the mold is made and I can test it. One option I thought of was after pouring and securing the mold together, turn it upside down to cool. If a repour was needed, it would be done to the bottom of the candle.

Does any of this make any sense at all?????