Need color help REALLY REALLY fast!

I was FINALLY able to get into Peaks and look at what color they suggest for their Lilac fragrance and they suggest a LIGHT purple OR orchid color and I went into another site and for their fragrance they suggested medium to dark,,,,,,,,sooooooooooo,,,,,,,I'm just going to toss up a color and go with it and hope she likes it. Thanks so much for the suggestions though! Portia

I used to die fabric for victorian lampshades....I kept a box of color paint chips for people to pick out.....I made a shade for a lady that I dyed peach to mach the handpainting on her lamp.....when she came in to get it she was so disapointed....she said that I had made it Fuchia........she obviously saw colors different that I did......I recenlty did candles for a wedding and the planner asked for creamy white and I told her this story....she asked if I should send her a sample. I took a chance and said NO.......she and the bride were happy when they came and picked up the LARGE order....Whew!!!!!!!!! You just never know. I think lilac is a light shade......but if I want to make it darker.....there is no rule.....I just think that lilac looks a little more blue than lavendar....it is more red.....darker or lighter doesn't matter....good luck! I hate custom orders. Donita

It's hard to say cause lilacs come in a variety of colors. I have about 6 lilac bushes around my house and they are all different colors. 2 light purple, dark purple, white, yellow, dark purple/white varigated. I'd say a good solid medium purple. I have the deep purple color from Alabaster and I use 3-4 drops per pound and get a good color. That was in a paraffin container wax.

good luck;)

I have dark lilacs and I tend to make them a medium dark shade. My neighbor on the west has the lighter colored lilacs and the white ones and my neighbor on the east has a verigated variety.

I never heard of yellow lilacs. On a hunt now.

I like this topic ALOT because obviously it is a HUGE part of my life. Owning a Cosmetology school we teach Hair Coloring ( which, the Paul Mitchell company is HUGE in the market )

We start with the basic color wheel..on to secondary colors etc.

The truth IS that everyone does see color differently and it has never ceased to amaze me. For instance there are some people that think their hair is blonde. To ME, it is as brassy as a Trumpet, but my eyes really see gold.

it takes ALOT of communication and thank goodness for color swatches.

Wouldnt it be cool if we had candle swatches with the exact number of drops ( for liquid dye ) per LB to achieve the exact colors? Reds and oranges are a real challenge also because people see that differently.

I see Lilac very close to Periwinkle :)

Come on Ducky......"what is periwinkle".....it a very hot color for fashion LOL.....my sister just bought several things at Old Navy and Learner's in periwinkle......it is a light blue with a hint of lavender. It makes a very pretty candle too......maybe I'll make periwinkle today....as I haven't decided what I am going to work on.....my girlfriend cancelled on me to go to Farmer's Market so I will just make candles today for something different.....hee hee hee....I did some rustic layers yesterday.....I am going to unmold them and see if they are rustic layers.....it sometimes is a huge surprise. I went to Old Virginia Candle Company's site and picked out the three layer lavenders...or lilacs...or VIOLET....there's another one of "those" colors out there too. hee hee hee....If they look like I hope....I will post one....Maybe I'll do a chunkie periwinkle. I can make at least three times as many chunkies in a day as layers.....but ya know....we girls just want to have fun. Donita ps...have a good weekend.

Myself, I always thought lavender was darker than lilac. I personally don't think it would matter much, I don't think the shades are that far off to make a difference.

Same here. I make Lilac a very light lavender color. My Lavender FO...is a shade or two darker than that.