Levelling Issue

Okay, I've done all I can, need some new ideas on this. I swear, this is just as much of a P.I.T.A as wicking!

I don't know where this popped up, but all of a sudden, every single candle that I'm making has to be levelled and usually, I'm losing a lot of wax to get it to the degree that I'm happy with it. Before, I used a level on the mold even before I poured and the only thing I would have to do after the fact would be to fix any rough edges from pouring, nothing more.

I'm still using the level, not moving the mold after I get it levelled and then when I pull the candle out, I've got a lopsided candle. So then, it's using a warm cookie sheet or maybe a pie pan. I'm losing roughly a quarter of an inch off the overall height of the candle.

I've cruised through the archives looking for anything, but I'm coming up with stuff that I'm already doing. Short of getting a hold of a piece of plywood, suspending it from the rafters downstairs and levelling it off, I don't know what else I can do. Even then, I'm suddenly not trusting my own judgment on this.

Anybody have any suggestions? I'm more embarrassed than mad at even having this problem, my candles have ALWAYS been level, now all of a sudden, I can't do that. :embarasse :cry2:

Hi Candle Kitty.....I have a professional leveler so it does make it easier, however, my DH has a technique that works for him. He hold the candle up and lets it dangle like a "plumb bob" and gently touches the bottom to the hot plate while spinning it around. It just magically comes out level. Donita

Do you use wick pins by any chance? If so there are a couple things that come to mind that can cause this problem.

For example, did you change waxes? Some of them contract more as they're cooling and can pull the wick pin off center, causing the mold to tilt slightly.

Also, are you using the same kind and amount of putty/mold sealer? Some mold sealers soften so much after filling the mold, that they actually compress and make the mold tilt a little.

If I'm going to make one with a zinc wick, then yes, I DO use a wick pin, but if I'm going to make one with 24 ply braid, then I do the old fashioned, prime the wick, stick it it, tie it off, yada yada yada, it just depends upon what I'm making at the time.

I haven't changed waxes at all, still using 1218 and 4286, the only thing that I've changed as of recently has been the additive, I'm experimenting with U.A. The mold sealer is also still the same as I've used for the last six months. I don't use the same wad for every single candle, I change to new if I'm going to be changing scent or if I'm flipping between wick pins or the wick bars. I've been having excellent luck with the gray mold sealer, and I DO need more, which is on my list for my next Peak's order.

So what do you observe as the candle is setting up? Do you see the wax shrinking unevenly in the mold?

Didn't you move recently? If it started happening in the new place, you might consider whether there's an environmental factor like a slight draft where the candles are cooling or something.

Or maybe something to do with the Earth's magnetic field and the Bermuda Triangle and UFOs. That's my bet.

She knows how to level them it's just that previously she didn't have to.

Hey, Top, if she's losing 1/4", she's doing it after unmolding. Kitty, I feel your pain. I usually get a perfect pillar using my handy dandy level but if not, Scented is right; level in the presto on warm while still in the mold!

e

Kitty,

you aren't alone. Recently my candles are coming out unlevel. No changes in wax, molds or location. I just figured maybe it was cause the weather has cooled down some. The reason I say that is that the wax seems to creep up one side of the mold a little higher that the other side. I've been hitting them with the heatgun before they are totally cooled down and then shave off a little after unmolding.

But, like you, I have never had this problem before.

I am seriously in a major crunch time to get to work before I'm late, so this is going to be a really fast post. Excuse any typos or grammatical errors that you see, I'll fix them in the morning.

Top, yes, I did move recently, I didn't even think about any kind of draft situation to be honest. The corner is pretty much free and clear of anything like that, unless I'm running the fan, which I have been as of late because between candle making and laundry, it gets warm down there and when I'm attempting something like a rustic, then it's on.

Normally, I don't watch the candle as it sets, only because I'm off doing something else, either working my mini-tarts or switching laundry out or chasing down cats who seem to think it's fun to take off with my rolled wick. I'll watch it this weekend since I'm off.

Didn't even think about leveling the Presto and then doing the leveling with the mold inside the Presto, I'll try that this weekend as well to see how it works.

As for the little green men, I told them little snots I wasn't about to turn my body over to their science, what makes them think they can do it with my candles?? May have to call someone on that and soon :P

Only reason why it's something I need fixed and soon is because I have a potential major customer in my reach, if I can't figure this problem out and soon, I may have to put them on hold and I don't want to do that.

Going to blow dry my hair, will update tomorrow evening, please keep the ideas coming, I need all the help I can get!

Since you just moved...have you checked to be sure the table or surface you're working on is level? Maybe the whole counter or table is off which is affecting the candle! My counters are slightly off, so I always pour my last pour on my kitchen island because it's definitely level. Just another thought... :undecided

Y'all killed me this morning! Between a flying cat, trying to get the level situation under control, doing last minute decorating schtuff in the bedroom, make my bed up since I washed it yesterday, get undressed (BAN THE BRA! :rockon: ) and get dressed for bed (with a cat attached to my shoulder doing all of the above I might add), I've come to the conclusion that it's no longer safe to sit down in front of the computer with a cold Pepsi in my hand and read.

First off, Donita and Top ROFLMAO!!!!! :laugh2:

Second off, ice cold Pepsi squirting out the nose hurts :P

Third, I checked my final house candle this morning when I got home from work. Without using the fan, I've noticed a big difference already, I do believe you were right, Top. Aside from some minor touchups when I poured, and maybe a fast spin in the Presto, that's really about it. These aren't really going to be level for long anyway, I used 4286 in 3 x 3 pillars that will be going in my wall sconces in the bedroom (black, scented Leather. Had to compliment the Leather/Lace candle that still remains untouched on top of my toy chest....er, lingerie chest :lipsrseal , although I may have to break out the lighter and test that bad boy, I've got too many people asking if I would make them one.). I wanted them to melt down into the containers that will be housing them (I'll snap a pic when they're up), so I used a high melt point wax this time.

I DO know the workbench isn't level, I think it's age more than anything, but I compensated by finding the most level spot on the bench and then using a very thin piece of board to offset any other unlevel issue. This was working fine for the first couple of weeks when I started getting back into making candles. I plan on getting MY handiman out in the next couple of weeks and have him relevel the bench, and I found a permanent replacement for the contact paper that I have, will be much easier to clean.

I'll get one of my feathers this weekend and put it on a string then hang it from various spots in the basement to see if I can't find a dead zone and if I have to, I can move my shelving unit over and put the candles over there as they set up. It'll be a pain for a while, but given the circumstances, I'll have no choice until the big goof shows up and I can shove a level in his hand and say 'go fix, or no dinner'

I keep a level next to me at all times....it's a pain but I am always checking my surfaces. My water buckets aren't level and so that makes my canes a little off. I have to correct for that at leveling time....maybe someday when I grow up I can get level buckets, but these were so cute. Pastel colors at Lowes. DH cut them down so they aren't too tall.

Not only do we have to worry about the Earth tipping, but do any of you ever look up into the sky when you are driving around or walking and realize that we "are in outer space".....only gravity keeps us on the ground and that at any minute, if gravity disappeared, we wouldn't be here. Then I think of the people fighting and running around on the surface of this ball we live on shooting guns at each other, bang bang bang.....and trying to run people off the roads screaming at people and being unkind and it really cracks me up. Why do we have to be so mean and not just enjoy this beautiful planet for what it is......it could all be gone tommorrow.......except I 'm sure my ugly candles will still be around for the next creatures to inhibit the planet...hehehe. Donita

"WELL FOR HEAVEN SAKES" as Jack Benny used to say. Nobody has mentioned the best leveling method on here yet. I had the same problem when someone (forget who) mentioned to get a piece of 3 or 4 inch angle iron about 6 inches long and 1/4 inch thick. I use mammas double boiler bottom, put a folded paper towel in the bottom, place the angle iron on the towel, put the pot rite on the burner, put the candle against the angle iron and in seconds it's perfect. WORKS EVERY TIME FOR ME, hope this helps.

Not only do we have to worry about the Earth tipping, but do any of you ever look up into the sky when you are driving around or walking and realize that we "are in outer space".....only gravity keeps us on the ground and that at any minute, if gravity disappeared, we wouldn't be here.

Another post like that, Donita, and we're gonna start calling you "Chicken Little." :grin2: :grin2: :grin2:

You can pick up angle iron at any used metal yard (scrap yard) or a steel fabricating place. I got mine at a welding shop (that might be a good place to start, they could put you in the right direction) The place I got mine, the guy cut it in a power saw so it was perfectly square, and he only charged me $5.00. I had to clean it up a bit with a wire brush and then cleaned it with WD 40, but believe me, excellent results every time. Damn, I wish I could find that post, it was on here and it even showed pix. Check back thru some of the old posts, I'm sure you'll find it.

Thanks Tucker, I'll be sure to check it out. Now that you mention a welding shop, where I work we have one, I may have to bug the mechanics :D

As for everyone else's post *clears throat, looks at Top and Donita* you guys aren't the only ones that believe what you've said. Personally, I think it's Mother Nature. We done pi$$ed her off somehow and she answered back by throwing us off kilter. Whoever did that, seriously needs to get atonement somehow and soon, I'm getting tired of having leveling issues with my candles.

so :P

*thinks the duck has a good idea and sneaks over to give her a hand*