My Review on JS123 Single Pour from Just Scent

BAH!!!! JS123 is a true single pour....have to give it that. The wax is just too mushy for me and I'm using pre-tabbed zinc core (the recommended wick for this wax) in 10 oz jars.....1oz FO per lb as suggested and it smokes....BOY DOES IT SMOKE WHEN THE FLAME HITS THE WAX!!! Like a steady stream of smoke....I even trimmed the wick and put a candle shade on it and the candle shade turned pitch black in 25 minutes....

Maybe some of you guys have had better luck....I am glad that I just bought 10lbs to try. :waiting:

Like a dumb ass that I am,I bought four cases of this wax,because she gave me a good price on it.I am trying to get this wax to perform right with the right wick.I am about to pull my hair out.I'm not trowing it out the back door until a few more trys.:(

Anna

Well Denise, let's not blame the wax right away. Obviously something needs to be diagnosed here. If all this wax did was spew smoke it wouldn't be on the market. Any chance you simply have it overwicked?

OOPS!!! Thank you Top!! Forgot to mention that I had three of them burning at once...with all different size pre-tabbed zinc core wicks. One was wicking down, the other was just the right size for the 10oz jar circumference and the other was wicked up. All three were smoking!!! I just so happened to have a shade on only one of them....All of them were the same fragrance and in the same size jar. Not to mention these wicks do FANTASTIC in my pre-blended paraffin...no smoke at all.

I was just simply trying a "one pour" for the first time and wanted to share my results.

Yep, that was my problem and that is when I said, "THAT IS IT I am going to try soy." I have soot collecting jars and if a wax is not a REALLY CLEAN burning wax, you might as well forget it. However, I find that the JS-123 burns beautifully in wide mouthed jars with no curves on top and are not deep and narrow. It does have a good scent throw. I still use it with certain fragrances in my tureens. It is really easy to wick and is a one pour. It colors nice too. I use zinc wicks with it. I do not mind the texture at all. It is slightly softer than J-223 but not as mushy as the Comfort -- a good inbetween. Altough, I would not mind it to be a little firmer. What kind of jars did you test it in? Also, if you make sure the wick is trimmed short like you do for soy it burns really nice -- as long as the jar is right. :D

Funny thing about waxes...how they perform differently for everyone.

I personally could NOT get the comfort blend to throw. And the 1945 works incredible for me!!

Are you single or double wicking? What size? Have you tried using one to two sizes smaller in a wick than you would think to normally? If not, try that. It might not get a full melt pool on the first couple of burns, but it will probably catch up.

I use this wax too, and it is a great wax. I never have that much smoking, I would think it was a combo of the variables you are using. Maybe the FO and dye? I don't use zinc in this wax, but use hemp ---or now the LX wicks. Makes a big difference. The LX are great in this wax. Like someone mentioned before, some waxes can perform wonderfully for some and terribly for someone else. My personal fav of JS is the 50/50--this wax is awesome. I don't get any soot if I keep the wicks trimmed, and I use hex, square masons, apothecaries, tureens, and beehive jars. You may try it, the scent throw is awesome.

Yes I would think some more wick testing is called for (leaning towards the smaller side considering your initial results) and you could also ask Becky if she has any tips for you. I imagine she likes zincs since she sells them, but for some jars you might find another type does a better job for you. It can be good to adopt at least two different kinds of wicking that you keep around, to give you a little more flexibility.

Hi Denise,

The Victorian jar has those corners and curve (angles) over the top -- if they are the ones I am thinking about. I use the Square Footed Victorian jars which also have the curves over the top and corners but the corners are more rounded with the footed Victorian. When you put the JS-123 in the wide mouthed jars, like the tureen type or maybe even a basic apothecary jar (wide one) it really burns nice. I never had any trouble wicking it in the way of getting weak flames or not achieving a full meltpool. I will say that for a paraffin blend it has a great burn rate -- not too fast. This is a good thing for me because I am a double wicker. The wick sizes that I mainly use are the 44-28's, 44-32's, and 51-32's (zincs) - depending on the jar size and FO. I did find that if the wick is not trimmed short (1/8 - 1/4) you can get some soot. Keep testing! :)

The jars measure 3 1/2 in height and 2 1/2 in width.

If I double wicked, we could start a forest fire....LOL :laugh2:

I love that busting up smiley guy you used!! :D I find that the narrower the jar the chance of soot is much greater -- unless it is a very clean burning wax.

Thanks for the info Jordan!!

Also...this post is in NO WAY trying to disrespect Becky. She is fantastic and her fragrance oils ROCK!!!! Just scratching my head over the wax.....:cry2:

Back to testing.....:grin2:

You are welcome. And I didn't think your post was disrespectful in any way. Hey, that is what these boards are for, to figure out what we are doing! Sometimes we have issues with wax or FO, and need some pointers. If we had to worry we were slamming a supplier for every post about a problem with a product, we would really be screwed! LOL

I tested so many waxes before settliing on the wax I use currently, I feel your frustration.

Jordan

Well I guess I'm not such a dumb ass after all,I wicked down and it is burning good with a kick butt throw(JS fruit slice).16 oz apoth,two 44-32z's:D

Anna

Yep, that is the lucky number zinc wick for me too in the JS-123. :D And trimmed with the wick trimmer!