clip art for label

Fluffy

I am looking for some free clip art for my labels and I need a bath tub, preferably a ClawFoot maybe with a girl in it. I have searched the internet under free clip art and am going crazy. Anyone got any sources?

Thanks Much.

You normally cannot use FREE clipart for itms that are going to be used for business, and according to an article on WSP some graphics sites are cracking down hard.

Make sure you read the terms of usage thoroughly..

For instance you cannot use micrsoft clipart for anything other than personal use.

I'd rather pay a dollar or three for a pic/graphic that is legal than to worry about the consequences.

i found this on i stock, from what i read, you can't use the pics for products you would make like a t-shirt or a mug, but you can use it to make websites, labels, etc.

that would be the way I would go. Too much legal mumbo jumbo, even though i'm a small fry i don't need any legal troubles.

3. Permitted Standard License Uses:

(a) You may only use the Content for those advertising, promotional and other specified purposes which are Permitted Uses (as defined below). For clarity, you may not use the Content in products for resale, license or other distribution, unless (i) the proposed use is allowable under an Extended License which is available for the Content; or (ii) if the original Content has been fundamentally modified or transformed sufficiently that it constitutes an original work entitling the author or artist to copyright protection under applicable law, and where the primary value of such transformed or derivative work is not recognizable as the Content nor is the Content capable of being downloaded, extracted or accessed by a third party as a stand-alone file (satisfaction of these conditions will constitute the work as a “Permitted Derivative Work” for the purposes of this Agreement). For example, you cannot superficially modify the Content, print it on a t-shirt, mug, poster, template or other item, and sell it to others for consumption, reproduction or re-sale. These uses will not be permitted as or constitute Permitted Derivative Works. If there is any doubt that a work is a Permitted Derivative Work, you should either obtain an Extended License or contact iStockphoto’s Client Relations for guidance. Any use of the Content that is not a Permitted Use shall constitute infringement of copyright.

© Permitted Uses. Subject to the restrictions described under Prohibited Uses below, the following are “Permitted Uses” of Content:

1. advertising and promotional projects, including printed materials, product packaging, presentations, film and video presentations, commercials, catalogues, brochures, promotional greeting cards and promotional postcards (ie. not for resale or license);
  2. entertainment applications, such as books and book covers, magazines, newspapers, editorials, newsletters, and video, broadcast and theatrical presentations;
  3. on–line or electronic publications, including web pages to a maximum of 800 x 600 pixels;
  4. prints, posters (i.e. a hardcopy) and other reproductions for personal use or promotional purposes specified in (1) above, but not for resale, license or other distribution; and
  5. any other uses approved in writing by iStockphoto.

If there is any doubt that a proposed use is a Permitted Use, you should contact iStockphoto’s Client Relations for guidance.

I've never used Istock or any other graphics sites (my labels are ultra plain) but this first line in their stand license uses:

For clarity, you may not use the Content in products for resale, license or other distribution, unless (i) the proposed use is allowable under an Extended License which is available for the Content;

Leads me to believe you can NOT use these photos for any kind of resale items unless you get some kind of extended license. ??

Then they state this:

Permitted Uses. Subject to the restrictions described under Prohibited Uses below, the following are “Permitted Uses” of Content:

1. advertising and promotional projects, including printed materials, product packaging, presentations, film and video presentations, commercials, catalogues, brochures, promotional greeting cards and promotional postcards (ie. not for resale or license);

What the heck does that mean? You CAN use the pics. for all of the above but not if you're reselling? That just doesn't make a lick of sense to me. ??

Geesh

I don't see how you can even use them for labels as it excludes resale, to me that means you can't use them on any item you sell. Only in catalogs, advertising, brochures. I personally would be on the safe side and buy a inexpensive program, like Print Shop 22 where you get tons of pics and graphics and 6 months free of their online graphics. Or buy just a clip art type disc.

3. Permitted Standard License Uses:

(a) You may only use the Content for those advertising, promotional and other specified purposes which are Permitted Uses (as defined below). For clarity, you may not use the Content in products for resale, license or other distribution, unless (i) the proposed use is allowable under an Extended License which is available for the Content; or (ii) if the original Content has been fundamentally modified or transformed sufficiently that it constitutes an original work entitling the author or artist to copyright protection under applicable law, and where the primary value of such transformed or derivative work is not recognizable as the Content nor is the Content capable of being downloaded, extracted or accessed by a third party as a stand-alone file (satisfaction of these conditions will constitute the work as a “Permitted Derivative Work” for the purposes of this Agreement). For example, you cannot superficially modify the Content, print it on a t-shirt, mug, poster, template or other item, and sell it to others for consumption, reproduction or re-sale. These uses will not be permitted as or constitute Permitted Derivative Works.

I think it's pretty clear actually. They do not want you to sell the image itself "as is", whether it's in the form of a t-shirt, mug, poster or anything else.

For example, if I downloaded a picture of a dog and printed that on a t-shirt to sell, I'm essentially selling the image of the dog. If I use it on a label that sells dog shampoo, however, I'm selling the shampoo really, not the image itself. I'm just using the dog to advertise my shampoo. Product packaging is part of the "permitted" uses.

I usually modify images significantly for added security, though the only 100% safe way to do it is to take your own pictures, really.

That's what i got from it too. The only problem with taking your own pictures is that you don't always have the "props" available to take the pictures-and if you're like me, you can take an "okay" picture, but not something "beautiful".

I think taking an istock photo and possibly altering it just a little-like a different border, etc. or adding another pic in with it. is the way i will go.

Heather

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if you change a microsoft clipart graphic (like flipping it around, changing the color, adding something else to it or whatever) if you can use it as a logo or on labels? I find that I have a hard time reading all the legal mumbojumbo, and want to be safe. Thanks!