Extra Large Candles

Yes, he knows. He has seen them on TV and has been to my shop and can't understand why I can't make them. I told him the average cost is $1 an ounce. He said, "it would cost me about $300? I said at least. Then he told me he needed 2 of them. He is willing to pay the price. I have seen the

molds that are larger than that, I just can't remember where I saw them.

That candle will take almost 225 lb of wax. $300 you have to be joking. That is a $1500 to $2000 candle.

I didn't quote him on the large ones. I showed him a 48oz mold and told him

that size would be $48. He just threw the $300 out. I actually think he would pay the $1500 plus. I know I saw candles larger than that at a gift

market several years ago. I know I would never want to do anything that

large.:D

OMG! Would someone really pay that for a candle?

My hoity toity stepgrandparents did. My dad could barely lift it. I think their's was around $1200. Too long ago to remember the actual dimensions, but I was 16, and it was almost as tall as me at 5 feet and was as wide as a teacup plate.

They still have it....

Okay, if you want a laugh, get this.

They light the "fancy" candles they buy for around 1 hour. But never again after. Haven't been to their house in years, but it was Christmas and I thought it was neat they lit this thing. Then they blew the dang candle out!

I asked why and they said "So it looks like we use them".

I don't get it.:undecided:confused::confused::confused:

I asked why and they said "So it looks like we use them".

I don't get it.:undecided:confused::confused::confused:

My mom always does this with tapers. She thinks it prevents dripping somehow. I think that's why she does it anyway - maybe it IS the "looks like we used them" thing though.

Peaks actually has this sized candle at their shop. I remember talking to Alan about it and I think he said he had made the mold, but out of what, I don't remember. He said it took him a couple of days to actually pour it, and then another week before he could unmold it. :)

I can't remember all the details though since I haven't been there in quite a while, as I usually just send my husband to pick my stuff up.

Maybe you could contact Alan or Nachelle and talk to them about it. I'm sure they would have some great advice for you on the subject.

One could use a concrete column form for a Monster Mold... "QuikForm" thick cardboard tubes (5" long in various diameters) found in the concrete sections of building supply places.

:laugh2:Jacqui, I looked at that link and on first glance, I thought the top of the Big Boy had "hair"... before I realized it was wicks...:laugh2:

I am kinda disappointed that they didn't single wick it with some rope... :laugh2:

Sorta a candle/mini-barbie/marshmallow-toaster all in one thing...:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

*...can just hear Crocodile Dundee saying, "now THAT'S a candle, mate"...*

Candles that have not been burned atleast once are said to be bad luck. They should be burned atleast once. (Im screwed)

The Huge candles on that site listed in MM are only 9.44 inches in diam for the taller ones that look to be about 5 feet high.

I bet the ones at peaks are not 12 inch diam but might be 5 feet high, and anyone that says they have seen them this size just has NO idea what this big of a candle will look like. No way kids no way.

Bruce

Jacqui, I looked at that link and on first glance, I thought the top of the Big Boy had "hair"... before I realized it was wicks...

*...can just hear Crocodile Dundee saying, "now THAT'S a candle, mate"...*

I just searched the net to see if I could actually find someone who sold candles that big. These are from a German candle mfgr. I can't even imagine how they wicked those suckers.

I think a single thick rope would cast too large a flame. Not something I'd want burning in my living room. Then again I don't think I'd trust it period.

http://www.kerzenkiste.de/start.php?candle_center_riesenkerzen.php

I was just curious as to the price of these. The fat tall one is $198 EUR which is about $280. Although I can't read German I doubt very much that it is scented.

The dimension is 1000X240mm which is aprox 3 feet tall with 9 inch diameter. It's about as big as my daughter. Probably weighs about the same too.