Soy Wax...is this accurate?

NattyCat

Hi all

I am in the process of designing a new web page, and I hold my hand up high as being someone who was initially blinded by "facts" that I read across the internet regarding the benefits of soy. I have, thanks to the helpful people on this forum, now seen the light and want to ensure that anything I put on my website is accurate. I didn't know wether to post this in the soy section as it is about soy, or in the business section, as it is about my webpage and the information I am giving my customers! I am NOT by any means a guru, so if I have made any mistakes I would really like to know about them please!

I have just (within the last hour so please forgive grammatical or spelling errors) put together the following information on my "about soy" page, and would appreciate anyone pointing out if there are any glaring errors (please, no nit-picking!!!) Please note that I am in the UK so any rules and regulations for the US may not necessarily have any impact over here, and vice versa.

Thanks!

Natasha

1) What is soy wax

Soybean wax, often referred to simply as "soy wax," is hydrogenated soybean oil. It was created by inventor Michael Richards in 1993, who was looking for a cheaper alternative to beeswax. The invention of soy wax has been the first wax innovation in the candle industry for over a hundred years. It can be used as a replacement for paraffin wax in the candle, packaging, and medical fibre industries. Soy wax is often called a natural wax, where the term "natural" implies that the wax is derived from either animal or plant sources.

2) What is Paraffin Wax

Paraffin wax is ultimately derived from crude oil, which is the resultant product of the decomposition of tiny aquatic plants and animals that lived in the ancient seas millions of years ago. When crude oil is refined to make lubricating oils, one of the by-products is Slack wax. This wax can then be further refined into a variety of petroleum based products, one of which is Paraffin wax. Paraffin wax is not only used to make candles, it is also classified as a chemical preservative and is widely used on fruits, vegetables, and confectionary to make them shiny as well as to retard moisture loss and spoilage.

3) What's the difference between soy and paraffin?

There have been several misconceptions floating around (especially on the internet) regarding paraffin and vegetable-based waxes. Many candle manufacturers who utilise vegetable waxes are making extravagant claims about their superiority to paraffin, yet most of these claims are completely unproven, unsupported and vastly exaggerated. It is important to realize that both paraffin and vegetable waxes are safe, viable natural raw materials with differing chemical compositions offering many varied benefits depending on end user applications.

So far no comprehensive and internationally recognised studies have been undertaken regarding the pros and cons of both waxes. In the mean time we will try to address some of the most common misconceptions regarding these waxes below.

MYTH - Soy candles burn with less soot than paraffin candles

It is not true to say that soy candles do not produce soot, or that they produce less soot than paraffin candles. No candle can be entirely soot free - but the old saying "you get what you pay for" is very much true when purchasing candles. A well made, high quality candle, regardless of wax type, will produce less soot than cheap, mass manufactured ones as long as you keep the wick trimmed sufficiently and follow the candle burning instructions supplied with your candle. In our experience, the main reasons why a candle will produce soot is because the wick has been left untrimmed or the candle has been placed near a draft.

MYTH -Paraffin wax is toxic

Paraffin wax is non-toxic. In fact, paraffin is approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for use in food, cosmetics, and medical applications. Food-grade paraffin is commonly used for manufacturing candles.

MYTH - Paraffin wax is "the sludge from the bottom of an oil barrel"

This rather outrageous quote is usually wheeled out by a small minority of soy and other natural wax candle suppliers as a way of promoting their products as being a healthier alternative to paraffin wax. It is undeniably true to say that paraffin wax is a by product of the petrochemical industry, however the actual refining process that paraffin wax is subjected to is remarkably similar to the process used to create most natural or vegetable based waxes. Just remember, the next time you bite into a nice, shiny apple - it is probably coated in food-grade paraffin to give it that shine, which is the same wax that most candles are made from.

FACT - Soy candles burn for longer than paraffin candles

This is true. Most vegetable waxes burn cooler than paraffin wax, which in turn means you will be buying a longer lasting candle. At Scentifique, we didn't want to believe this until we had conducted our own rigorous tests, so we created candles in both paraffin and soy using the same containers, wax weight and scent ratio and then burned them under the same conditions. In our own tests, the candles we created using soy wax burned, on average, for around 40% longer than the paraffin candles.

FACT - Soy candles have a stronger scent than paraffin candles

If you look at the bare facts, then this statement is true. Soy wax has the ability to hold much more fragrance than paraffin, and therefore if there is more scent being heated and dispersed into the air, then the scent of your candle will be stronger. However, the quality of the fragrance oil being used is a major factor in the scent throw of a candle, and if a candle is made with cheap, diluted oil then there will be a poor scent throw no matter what wax is being used! Some more unscrupulous chandlers (candle makers) may try to add extra oil to their candles to improve the strength, but wax can only absorb a certain amount of oil. If too much oil is poured into the wax, it will simply sit on the surface of the candle unabsorbed, or in little flammable pockets of oil in the middle of your candle - which is dangerous!

You can rest assured, at Scentifique we source only the finest, premium quality fragrance oil, and have many of them made specifically for us by an international fragrance manufacturer. We never need to add too much oil to our candles, as our oils are all premium quality in the first place!

FACT - Soy wax is more environmentally friendly than paraffin wax

Soy wax comes from a sustainable & renewable resource, Soy beans! Paraffin starts off as crude oil which most people now realise is most definitely not renewable. At Scentifique we have chosen to offer vegetable wax candles as a way of helping to reduce global dependence on crude oil and the effects its harvesting has on the earth.

Soy candles are also carbon neutral. The soy we use in our candles was likely to be in the ground less than a year ago and during this time, the soy plants would have been removing carbon dioxide from the atmosphere all the time they were growing. This in turn cancels out the small amount of carbon that is released into the atmosphere when the candle is being burnt.

UNPROVEN - Burning soy wax is healthier than burning paraffin wax

As far as we are aware, there has been no internationally recognised scientific studies comparing what impact the burning of soy candles in comparison to paraffin candles has on a persons health. However, having said this, we do have several customers who swear by our soy candles, saying that they have found them much more tolerable to their sensitive lungs than normal paraffin candles. Those suffering from asthma or have mild breathing problems may find that burning soy candles does not cause as much irritation as a paraffin candle would, but we MUST stress that this statement is based purely upon feedback we have received from our own customers, and not on any factual studies carried out by a recognised scientific institute.

I hold my hand up too Nat, & I too have learned rather more in the time I've been using soy.

I don't see anything there that is either misleading or innacurate.

It's refreshing to see the whole soy v para saga explained simply & without drama.

Sally.

I guess I'm the challenger on the soy throws better than para. It may hold more FO, but that doesn't mean it throws stronger. Para w/ additives can take an increased FO load. I guess I would be thinking why would someone want a wax that you have to add more FO to for a better scent throw?

I'll challenge more environmentally friendly too.

Just my 2 cents.

Otherwise, I think you've written things well.

Hi all

Ok, after spending the past decade in the industry and the past almost 7 years working for a supplier these are things I have learned. I will highlight the areas I disagree with in red so you can see and post below in red also ;) Don't take offense, I am just trying to offer my assistance from an insiders perspective :)

1) What is soy wax

Soybean wax, often referred to simply as "soy wax," is hydrogenated soybean oil. It was created by inventor Michael Richards in 1993, who was looking for a cheaper alternative to beeswax. The invention of soy wax has been the first wax innovation in the candle industry for over a hundred years. It can be used as a replacement for paraffin wax in the candle, packaging, and medical fibre industries. Soy wax is often called a natural wax, where the term "natural" implies that the wax is derived from either animal or plant sources.

Dan from Ecowax will debate the heck out of this with anyone who asks and as a person whose dealt with him I would have to say he is about the most honest person I know. Mike Richards simply tried to stamp his name all over the wax and has tried to make it so that only his wax can be called soy wax. Simply ain't gonna happen :)

FACT - Soy candles burn for longer than paraffin candles

This is true. Most vegetable waxes burn cooler than paraffin wax, which in turn means you will be buying a longer lasting candle. At Scentifique, we didn't want to believe this until we had conducted our own rigorous tests, so we created candles in both paraffin and soy using the same containers, wax weight and scent ratio and then burned them under the same conditions. In our own tests, the candles we created using soy wax burned, on average, for around 40% longer than the paraffin candles.

I completely disagree. I get the exact same number of burn hours from a paraffin candle as I do a soy candle. If your wicking is correct in both you should have maybe a 5% variable in time of burn. 40% is a vast exaggeration in my opinion. I've burned about every paraffin and soy on the market in the past decade and when made properly the burn time is close to the same with every wax. Just a matter of knowing how to make a candle burn right :) It does burn cooler, that is true just not longer.

FACT - Soy candles have a stronger scent than paraffin candles

If you look at the bare facts, then this statement is true. Soy wax has the ability to hold much more fragrance than paraffin, and therefore if there is more scent being heated and dispersed into the air, then the scent of your candle will be stronger. However, the quality of the fragrance oil being used is a major factor in the scent throw of a candle, and if a candle is made with cheap, diluted oil then there will be a poor scent throw no matter what wax is being used! Some more unscrupulous chandlers (candle makers) may try to add extra oil to their candles to improve the strength, but wax can only absorb a certain amount of oil. If too much oil is poured into the wax, it will simply sit on the surface of the candle unabsorbed, or in little flammable pockets of oil in the middle of your candle - which is dangerous!

You can rest assured, at Scentifique we source only the finest, premium quality fragrance oil, and have many of them made specifically for us by an international fragrance manufacturer. We never need to add too much oil to our candles, as our oils are all premium quality in the first place!

I can get my straight paraffin with no additives to hold 6% fo with no seepage. If you are comparing that to straight paraffin sure, but not many chandlers use straight paraffin. Soy holds on average the identical load that a blended paraffin wax holds, 9%. I also do not find it true that soy is stronger. Every wax and every fragrance just have to be tested for compatibility. I can say my straight paraffin is every bit as strong as my soy and sometimes stronger with the same fo load. Not something you can prove so I would not say it :)

FACT - Soy wax is more environmentally friendly than paraffin wax

Soy wax comes from a sustainable & renewable resource, Soy beans! Paraffin starts off as crude oil which most people now realise is most definitely not renewable. At Scentifique we have chosen to offer vegetable wax candles as a way of helping to reduce global dependence on crude oil and the effects its harvesting has on the earth.

Soy candles are also carbon neutral. The soy we use in our candles was likely to be in the ground less than a year ago and during this time, the soy plants would have been removing carbon dioxide from the atmosphere all the time they were growing. This in turn cancels out the small amount of carbon that is released into the atmosphere when the candle is being burnt.

Look up the chemical Hexane, now tell me that it is environmentally friendly. They use hexane in the process of making soy wax. They use crude oil (gas) in plowing the fields, harvesting the soy, bringing it to the elevator and then to the final destination. Paraffin wax is a byproduct of the making of other petrol chemicals. I don't honestly find the production of either good for the environment but I still use both :)

If you have any questions just ask :)

Did you write this yourself or is it from a webpage? I think I saw parts of this on the net somewhere. Maybe you just set it up in the same manner but being what was drilled into me in college over paraphrasing, etc...I am questioning how it is written. Either you have excellent writing skills or you used words, design or ideas that you found on the net. Not saying this is wrong as far as design wise of how you word it on your website, but just make sure that you are "legal" with how you put things and/or site sources.

Way too much information!

What is the purpose?

You are overselling and that as a consumer is a big turnoff.

When I see over-hyped educational hoopla like that, it immediately sends a signal that your products cannot stand on their own merit.

You want to create an atmosphere that is conducive to buying, Trust me, if someone did possibly manage to read all that to the end, they would click off, take two aspirins and lie down. Seriously!

Additionally, I echo Scented's response as well as momtohaley2004's copyright concerns and the discrepancies noted by Flicker.

hello.gifHey Flicker, been too long.....good to see you!

to address copyright concerns, this is my text. Of course, I researched my information on all the main wax manufacturers sites and also information found across the web and reworded quotes I found along the way. We are talking about a very narrow subject matter here so information I have written is bound to be similar to that of other text - there is only so much you can say on the subject.

Having been a writer for 7 years on the subject of Industrial Minerals, with 3 books published on the matter, I am fully capable of writing concise text and can assure you I did not lift this word for word from somewhere else. I did of course use information I believe to be valid that I found on Wikipedia or manufacturers sites, but this is perfectly normal as long as it is not vertabim. It's not so hard to believe that someone can actually write is it?

With regards to "blinding by science" and comments on the length of the text - I have written this is response purely to questions received from both my retail and wholesale customers, of which some have grilled me relentlessly asking these exact questions. I trust my customers to make the choice if they read it or not. If this information is not of any interest, then they have the option of leaving the page, nobody is forcing them to read to the end.

Oh and not having faith in our products? this is simply not true - we are successful enough without this information and do not need it to "sell" our products, we are simply trying to clear up the misconceptions - particularly when a customer says to us that they are interested in buying our soy candles because they don't want to get cancer from paraffin ones!!!!

With regard to the issues raised by Flicker, some of his/her comments are circumstantial - am I to write that Richards DIDN'T invent soy wax just because a friend of Flicker's says so? I based my text on evidence I have found and am more than willing to change my text if text mentioning other inventors is unearthed, but I can't base what I write on what a "friend of a friend" says surely? I can only write based on published information and unfortunately, Richard's name is the only one that surfaced time and time again when researching the origins of soy wax.

I do have responses for other issues raised but no time so shall revisit later.

I don't think people will be turned off by your explanations Natty. If they are constantly being asked then I would class it as an FAQ and treat it as such. The information is there and for those that who are maybe seeking "the truth" will be enlightened by it and those that aren't at all curious won't bother.

Wasn't this whole soy vs paraffin debate started by an MLM soy candle company and was just a big marketing ploy to get the biz up and running? Having been involved in MLM in the past I know only too well the rivalries between the various network marketing schemes. You know, "my dad's bigger than your dad and he'll smash your face in" kind of thing.

This is sales talk made by a bunch of "wide boys" with no practical knowledge of our industry. Did any of them ever make a candle? I don't think so but like everything else the masses fall for all the advertised hype. The whole thing has gotten out of hand, like with anything else, because of rumour and scaremongering tactics.

We as candlemakers need to take back our industry from these slick talking PR gurus and education is the only way forward IMO and it is us who hold the key to that.

We educate our customers on how to burn a candle correctly whether it's paraffin, soy, palm, etc. by providing proper instructions. We need to educate them too about the real facts between the two different types of wax. But that education can only come from us, the candlemaker. We have to put aside our prejudices, we have to learn more about our industry. We must accept that they are no worse or better off than each other only made from a different raw materials. Only then can consumers make an informed choice.

Ruby

I don't think it is too much info, but then again, I have been accused of being verbose. :DIf you have it on a site away from other items where people don't have to wade through it to get to something else, I don't see it as a problem. I have something similar that I had been working on for a while...mainly because I do get so many questions about soy wax...what's the big deal about it, etc. I was tired of the scare tactics used by others and laid it all out as well as I could. It is a fine line to walk...giving enough info without putting people to sleep. Bottom line, if they don't want to read it, they won't.

The only thing I also have a problem with is the 40% longer claim. I tested soy vs a few paraffins/blends, and while in *my* testing, I did find the soy burned a bit longer, I could never say it was close to 40% longer.

And you know what...kudos to you for laying it out. Curious to see if you get as many hate emails from Mia Bella reps as I do...lol.

I don't think it is too much info, but then again, I have been accused of being verbose. :DIf you have it on a site away from other items where people don't have to wade through it to get to something else, I don't see it as a problem. I have something similar that I had been working on for a while...mainly because I do get so many questions about soy wax...what's the big deal about it, etc. I was tired of the scare tactics used by others and laid it all out as well as I could. It is a fine line to walk...giving enough info without putting people to sleep. Bottom line, if they don't want to read it, they won't.

The only thing I also have a problem with is the 40% longer claim. I tested soy vs a few paraffins/blends, and while in *my* testing, I did find the soy burned a bit longer, I could never say it was close to 40% longer.

And you know what...kudos to you for laying it out. Curious to see if you get as many hate emails from Mia Bella reps as I do...lol.

yes you are right, it is not 40%. I didn't know the actual percentage at the time as I didn't have my notes to hand. I wrote the whole lot in one sitting in the space of about an hour and I know that there are things that will be removed, added, changed etc as this is a work in progress. There are facts I need to check and statements I need to confirm before i'd put this live. When I dig my books out for each style of jar and container i'll add the differences together and run an average calculation to give the correct figure. Unfortunately, I can't edit the original post so I imagine i'll get some more flack from skim readers who don't see this post. oh well !

What I was hoping for here was to see if the general direction I was going in was correct and wether I'd missed anything blatently obvious out. I've no doubt in my mind that when I actually get round to proof reading, a lot will be cut out and any claims or statements I made will be entirely accurate as far as our own candles are concerned.

This page is very separate to the rest of the web. people would have to click on a link to get to it and i'm hoping it saves me many hours a week on the phone to people asking such questions.

PS...mia who?

Thanks

Nat

I think your best bet, if you are selling soy candles, is to talk only about soy. don't bother with comparisons which are likely to be innacurate:

IMO: True - soy is a renewable resource (though plenty of non-renewable resources are used in its production). everything else is debatable

As for including who invented it - do you need to say anything about who invented it? I doubt consumers have a burning desire for that tidbit. So leave it out if there is any doubt.

Soy candles are carbon neutral? Really? ALL soy candles? You take into account the planting, fertilizing, harvesting, storage, processing, wax production, shipping, candle making, curing - for wax, wicks, container, labels. fragrances, colorants? Each of these components consumes some resource and spits out exhaust of some sort.

Watch out for sweeping statements: your soy candles burn longer than your paraffin candles - is this always true for every mfg, for every soy wax, for every paraffin wax? I honestly don't know. Same with the FO load... (and btw, being able to hold more FO - does that necessarily translate to a stronger scent in the air? isn't "throw" more complicated than that?)

yes you're probably right re inventor, that'll probably be removed.

I already changed "carbon neutral" as I realise that is a rather grand statement to make. At most I think it is fair to say they have a smaller carbon footprint. Can't change original post tho.

with burn time...i did say "our" candles not others. I also did mention that the amount of FO is not an indicator for quality - more doesn't necessarily mean better if you are using good oils.

One thing you may want to consider is to watch the use of buzzwords like 'carbon neutral' and 'carbon footprint'. People who swing severely right or left politically may be turned off by this claim. Of course, it's impossible to cater to everyone :D

I was going to mention the use of petroleum products in the transportation and manufacturing process would throw off the balance of a 'carbon neutral' product but I see you've taken care of that.

One thing I rarely see soy candle makers address is that over 90% of the soy grown in the US* is genetically modified (http://pewagbiotech.org/resources/factsheets/display.php3?FactsheetID=2). It's always seemed to me that people who purchase soy candles for the 'lower environmental impact', etc., would also be interested to know if the soy in their product is organic or not. Just a thought.

I applaud your efforts at clearing up misconceptions about soy vs. paraffin. On the whole I think you have a very informative excerpt :)

*oops, didn't realize that you're in the UK... this statistic may or may not impact you then!

I think it's great that you are putting this info on your website. As a consumer, you have the "choice" to read it or not. I for one learned alot from reading this and I've been working with soy (for pleasure) for 5+ years. (I'm also a proofreader so check your spelling before posting it...I should talk here, I usually post before I read my own typing and I don't type with correct spelling)

Here is what I meant by the inventor being debatable :)

NGI was incorporated in 1999 but actually began development and research into EcoSoya™ waxes in 1992. When introduced to the public in 1999, EcoSoya™ received the prestigious Lois Tellefson Award for the development of new techniques and innovations in candle making, given by the International Guild of Candle Artisans. In 2000 NGI aligned with one of the world's largest soybean handlers and processors to supply the industry with the highest quality, most stable and reliable products available today. With unparalleled ongoing Technical and R&D support, we offer you over 50 years combined candle expertise.

http://ngiwax.com/AboutNGI/History.php from that page copied and pasted.

Michael Richards claimed to have invented soy a year later. :) I was really not trying to stir your pot Natty Cat just offering my advice and knowledge. I Just have worked on the inside of the industry for a long time and actually had these debates personally with some of those that claim things and others who prove them otherwise. :) Have a good night!

Here is what I meant by the inventor being debatable :)

NGI was incorporated in 1999 but actually began development and research into EcoSoya™ waxes in 1992. When introduced to the public in 1999, EcoSoya™ received the prestigious Lois Tellefson Award for the development of new techniques and innovations in candle making, given by the International Guild of Candle Artisans. In 2000 NGI aligned with one of the world's largest soybean handlers and processors to supply the industry with the highest quality, most stable and reliable products available today. With unparalleled ongoing Technical and R&D support, we offer you over 50 years combined candle expertise.

http://ngiwax.com/AboutNGI/History.php from that page copied and pasted.

Michael Richards claimed to have invented soy a year later. :) I was really not trying to stir your pot Natty Cat just offering my advice and knowledge. I Just have worked on the inside of the industry for a long time and actually had these debates personally with some of those that claim things and others who prove them otherwise. :) Have a good night!

Thank you. I think it's best I just remove that reference as if there is a debate over it and one cannot be proved over an other then I guess it doesn't need to be included - my customers don't really need to know that do they! Thanks for your input though, I will certainly use it when I'm proof reading and cutting this to size.

Nat

This may not be relevant, but everytime this comes up I wonder... isn't using the bi-product of petroleum processes a GOOD thing? I mean... aren't we giving useful life to something that otherwise would be put into other even more caustic materials? Are we not recycling in essence?

And I would also have to agree- the burn time is STILL debateable. Doesn't matter if you said 'our candles' or not, you are still using the info from your own candles to prove a general theory across the board. The only thing that is factual about that is that YOUR soy candles burn longer than YOUR paraffin. But you are putting this information out there to inform others about the properties of soy in general and calling it an overall across the board fact based on YOUR candles.

It's neither here nor there to me really but at the same time I'd be one of those skeptics who if reading that, would be thinking that you probably can't legally say that. So on that basis only I'm posting. I guess because i'm skeptical I really don't like when someone makes such statements that seem to obviously hope to CONVINCE someone of something. To me, very few things are set in stone and it really bugs me when people repeat things they have heard or read and rely wholey on it and treat it as though it's the end all be all no discussion truth. I realize your information comes from your research so when I say it bugs me when people do this, it's not 'you'. It's who ever started the whole one is 'better' than the other propaganda in the first place. If you are getting questioned about it all the time, I think it's a smart thing to do. I would just change my 'factual' approach into more of a 'I prefer soy because...it is said to be... generally speaking they often last longer... ' etc.

This may not be relevant, but everytime this comes up I wonder... isn't using the bi-product of petroleum processes a GOOD thing? I mean... aren't we giving useful life to something that otherwise would be put into other even more caustic materials? Are we not recycling in essence?

And I would also have to agree- the burn time is STILL debateable. Doesn't matter if you said 'our candles' or not, you are still using the info from your own candles to prove a general theory across the board. The only thing that is factual about that is that YOUR soy candles burn longer than YOUR paraffin. But you are putting this information out there to inform others about the properties of soy in general and calling it an overall across the board fact based on YOUR candles.

It's neither here nor there to me really but at the same time I'd be one of those skeptics who if reading that, would be thinking that you probably can't legally say that. So on that basis only I'm posting. I guess because i'm skeptical I really don't like when someone makes such statements that seem to obviously hope to CONVINCE someone of something. To me, very few things are set in stone and it really bugs me when people repeat things they have heard or read and rely wholey on it and treat it as though it's the end all be all no discussion truth. I realize your information comes from your research so when I say it bugs me when people do this, it's not 'you'. It's who ever started the whole one is 'better' than the other propaganda in the first place. If you are getting questioned about it all the time, I think it's a smart thing to do. I would just change my 'factual' approach into more of a 'I prefer soy because...it is said to be... generally speaking they often last longer... ' etc.

good idea. It is much less debatable if we say that "we prefer" or "sometimes" or "this could happen" or "some people have found" etc. so I'll look into changing it.

Thanks

I guess I'm just curious why ANY of this has to be added at all? Why is it that soy candle makers feel the need to include such things? Certainly you don't feel as though you need a marketing gimmick to sell your candles!! Right? Or is that it? It just seems as though so very many soy candle makers are doing this, and I just don't understand why unless they feel their product is even the teeniest bit inferior and want to give it that little extra umph so people will consider buying it.

If you believe in your soy, and I'm sure, that if you are selling it you do, then why must you soy candle makers spend so much time and effort trying to sell it?

I am not trying to put you down Natty or upset you at all. I am simply wondering why this type of thing is necessary for so many soy candle makers to include on their websites and in their marketing strategy. Why not just sell your candles?

I guess I'm just curious why ANY of this has to be added at all? Why is it that soy candle makers feel the need to include such things? Certainly you don't feel as though you need a marketing gimmick to sell your candles!! Right? Or is that it? It just seems as though so very many soy candle makers are doing this, and I just don't understand why unless they feel their product is even the teeniest bit inferior and want to give it that little extra umph so people will consider buying it.

If you believe in your soy, and I'm sure, that if you are selling it you do, then why must you soy candle makers spend so much time and effort trying to sell it?

I am not trying to put you down Natty or upset you at all. I am simply wondering why this type of thing is necessary for so many soy candle makers to include on their websites and in their marketing strategy. Why not just sell your candles?

Hi Annie

I understand what you're saying but if you'd read my previous posts you'll know. I spend SO much time on the phone with customers ringing me asking about soy that it's driving me crazy. I had one lady saying that she wanted to buy my soy candles because she didn't want to get cancer from paraffin candles. Another lady said she loved burning 4 or 5 candles in the same small room as her fish tank and the fish kept dying - she was told that they'd be OK if it was a soy candle.

Another lady told me she heard paraffin candles get so hot they exploded and another told me etc etc etc etc..... I am spending so much time on the phone or answering emails that its taking up time I don't always have.

I expect the reason why a lot of soy candle makers are doing this is due to a domino effect. One stupid idiot publishes a wagon full of crap about soy and paraffin on their websites and then along comes a newbie candlemaker, reads that info and copies it onto THEIR website - then another candlemaker reads that and copies it onto THEIR website. Soon enough, you have a bunch of customers all reading the same false information about paraffin vs soy and they then come running to their usual candle supplier asking questions or seeking confirmation. There could be someone who has been happily burning paraffn candles who stumbles across a website spouting false information about it, and its that sort of person who rings up asking question after question.

That's probably why many soy candlemakers put information on their websites. unfortunately most of it is inaccurate and I'm trying to address that.

Wow, I really had no idea that this was such a problem for people. That sucks :(

I know the false info was/is a problem for some paraffin candle makers ~ trying to dispel those myths etc. etc., but I think eventually people have realized that the more time they spent trying to convince people, the valuable time they have wasted of their own. It has been my experience that people don't really care all that much anymore. But it must be way different for you where you live. Good luck to you.

Wow, I really had no idea that this was such a problem for people. That sucks :(

I know the false info was/is a problem for some paraffin candle makers ~ trying to dispel those myths etc. etc., but I think eventually people have realized that the more time they spent trying to convince people, the valuable time they have wasted of their own. It has been my experience that people don't really care all that much anymore. But it must be way different for you where you live. Good luck to you.

thanks! You're right, it is different here - soy is still very very new and not many people know much about it.

Hi Natty,

My two cents. I would not use the word "raw" in saying that paraffin or soy are "raw" natural resources, both are not raw--both have to go through processes to get where they are.

The last paragraph about unproven--my customers say that soy is better and does not cause as much irritation as paraffin....I would remove that.

First and foremost, there has been a very conclusive study by the EPA on paraffin candles and the toxins that are being released are from the fragrance oils used. There is also a concern here in the US of the chemicals being used in FO's which may soon be banned in CA (Carebear has posted the article on another site--she may chime in with the link). Saying that soy is less irritating is a terrible thing as it may entice someone who has breathing difficulties to believe they can burn your candles. I tell anyone who buys my candles that if they have a breathing ailment, not to burn candles period. It is not worth the risk--asthma is triggered by the scents, not the wax.

Please be very careful, I feel that is very, very risky to even suggest that any candle be burned or causes less irritation for lung conditions because it simply isn't true. I had a lady call me and tell me she had a breathing ailment and she loved my candles because they didn't seem to irritate her. I told her flat out I did not feel she should burn candles in her condition and that there wasn't anything safer about my candle than the next scented candle. Fragrance oils aren't that great. One person who has an attack is not worth it and I don't see how saying that as advertising boosts your candles in anyway--it is directly addressing people who have these problems who should be warned off candles entirely.

I don't have a comment on the content of the article, just to say I understand why you are adding it. It certainly won't take away from the shopping pages and does answer a lot of questions consumers might ask.

The other major benefit to a page like this is that search engines LOVE content pages and it may very well help your ranking...