If you need a laugh

sharyl55

here it is. :P Tried my 1st pillars. Wanted to play in the BBB dupe game. Sorry Val, I used all the 1343 you sent me and this was the best I could do. Everything was a new experience, 1st pillar, 1st tilted layer, 1st mottle, 1st time using the aluminum mold. The only good thing I can say is the layers seem to be stuck together OK. The pros have nothing to worry about from me. Used 3 T stearic, 1/4 tsp vybar 103, 1/4 tsp luster crystals, 1/4 tsp UA, 1343 wax and 1 oz Tuscan Night FO. Wrapped it in a towel after pouring the last layer. Pathetic mottling but am more concerned about the finish. I added the luster crystal to cut down on bleeding and the UA for air bubbles since I couldn't figure out how to tap, tap, tap.

Now my questions are

How do you tap the molds to get rid of the air bubbles when you have the mold tilted in a pan of sand?

How do you get rid of the pits?

post-195-139458382601_thumb.jpg

Looks good for a first! However, you could probably axe the vybar103 (known to kill mottling) and the UA (don't believe that helps mottling much either, at least I never had success with it and that wax lol). Adding, on your next mottle attempt, up the FO a bit if you can. 1 oz pp isn't always enough :)

I'm adding, there's nothing to laugh at!

Looks good for a first! However, you could probably axe the vybar103 (known to kill mottling) and the UA (don't believe that helps mottling much either, at least I never had success with it and that wax lol). Adding, on your next mottle attempt, up the FO a bit if you can. 1 oz pp isn't always enough :)

Yeah, if you WANT mottle, don't use vybar. I like the color combo and am impressed with the 'lack of' bleeding.

Sharyl - you should be proud of yourself for this attempt! I can't imagine doning something like that for my 1st attempt! Nice job:highfive:

It's really fun and interesting to do pillars so keep at it! It's not hard to make them come out, but can be hard to make them come out just the way you want them to, lol. Not a bad first attempt considering you tried more advanced stuff your first time out. Try a simple one and you'll see it isn't hard. Maybe use one additive at a time to see what they do.

In terms of advice about this one, you probably didn't need to go beyond the stearic in terms of additives and it would have mottled its little head off with 1 oz FO. If you pour around 180-185 you don't really have to worry about bubbles and pits except for those inexplicable times we all get them for no reason. Frankly I don't even always tap my molds.

You asked about the 1246 and I have some of that in my collection. I dunno, batches can vary, but I couldn't get any kind of respectable mottle out of it. Slid out of the mold slick with FO but still nothing but a few measle spots. So much for Alan's theory that narrow cut paraffins are the ones that mottle, because 1246 is one of the narrowest you can get and didn't work for me. Maybe you'd have better luck, or in any case you can still make pillars out of it so go play.

I think that is an awesome first attempt!!! I'd go with Julie's (Scented) advice on how to do it. I use this wax to and it's very versatile. There's absolutely nothing to laugh at tho. It turned out great! If you want it to mottle, I wouldn't add any vybar at all.

Sharyl, It certainly looks better than mine, so I am not laughing either. Mine was also a first attempt at layering, Didn’t get the layers like I wanted them and my new ivory dye went ballistic with my fudge brownie FO. Then I got a rustic mottle out of it, scratching my head and wondering what that was all about, LOL! I am chalking it up to a learning experience. Hey, my husband likes it, but then again he is supposed to like ALL of my creations. We should do this again, this is more fun than a candle swap. Even though I didn’t get it right, I am going to keep practicing, I am having so much fun.

Thanks for all you kind words. I've marked my notes to 86 the vybar and UA on my next attempt and try a little more FO. Poured the ivory at 175, green at 180 and brown at 185 so was surprised to get the pits. Did learn one thing - wick pins rock!

Been practicing what y'all have been doing with pillars on my votives to get pour temps, etc. down. Guess there isn't that much correlation between the 2. LOL. It is growing on me. I stuck a wick in it but not sure that I'll ever get up the nerve to burn it. I've been following the posts on Henry's quest for that special mottle and just had to try. No way was this one close enough to submit for the BBB dupe game.

Sharyl......that is wonderful for your first attempt....really...it didn't mottle because you were experimenting and used too many additives, but you got a usable candle that looks perfect for Christmas. You should see what I have done...hehehe....I will post one......then you won't feel so bad. So don't!!!!!! You did a good job. Just try again. Remember when I couldn't do the photo canes? Because of your help, I can now do one in 60 seconds. I just did 32 and only had 4 do overs and there were reasons for that, like grandchildren bugging me. hehehe. Thanks for helping me. Donita